2022-2023 NCAA Football Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
What?! Oi, I hate college football... or at least the business of it.

I don't get the Bye here, I mean other than 12 not being a power of 2. It isn't like any school earned it. 12 teams also is too many (8 would be a bit more manageable)... but this is the best defense to ensure Alabama's and OSU's are in the tournament (and possibly Notre Dame, but this set up makes that a bit harder, which means I expect Notre Dame to start playing a schedule that has more cream puffs than a bakery such as Votre Dame Nun College). This set up helps one small school program. But I suppose one is better than none.
Quite the opposite, it incentivizes schools to schedule worthy OOC games, as a loss in that game will no longer kick them out of the playoffs (since all they need to do is win the Conference).

I do agree in not liking bye's though. Which is why I'd prefer 16 teams.

I seem to remember Alabama going to Happy Valley to beat Penn St as part of a home-home series not that long ago. And Alabama has an upcoming home-home series against Wisconsin in 2024/25.

btw, I watched last weeks beatdown of Ohio State, it didn't look that cold.

50's aren't exactly "bone chilling" weather. ;)
Its also not the end of December or into January either ...

It doesn't have to be REAL Cold in order for those warm weather boys to have ill effects.

Florida teams or Southern Eastern for that matter doesn't usually play much under 50*

It doesn't have to be REAL Cold in order for those warm weather boys to have ill effects.

Florida teams or Southern Eastern for that matter doesn't usually play much under 50*
But end of December or January games wouldn’t be regular season anyway.

Regular season in Ohio or Kentucky ain’t much difference.

Last edited:
It's nice being a Purdue Alumni and as a Boilermaker, not fretting this whole Bowl Playoff nonsense like too many SEC teams, or how an unbeaten team and rank behind teams with one or two losses at this time of year. But, it pays the bills on Sports Talk radio, TV, podcasts, etc.

I'll finish with two words: Purdue Spoilermakers... ;)

Reactions: gasman882001
But end of December or January games wouldn’t be regular season anyway.

Regular season in Ohio or Kentucky ain’t much difference.

That being the case, the warmer weather doesn’t seem to give those northern boys much benefit in matchups.

It's nice being a Purdue Alumni and as a Boilermaker, not fretting this whole Bowl Playoff nonsense like too many SEC teams, or how an unbeaten team and rank behind teams with one or two losses at this time of year. But, it pays the bills on Sports Talk radio, TV, podcasts, etc.

I'll finish with two words: Purdue Spoilermakers... ;)
The Spoilermakers winning the West was one thing, winning the Conference Title would be epic.

I don't see it happening, but, you never know.

Reactions: gasman882001
The Spoilermakers winning the West was one thing, winning the Conference Title would be epic.

I don't see it happening, but, you never know.
No way Purdue gets invited to participate in the Group of 12 teams; as others have pointed out, Purdue did not play well enough when it counted. Losses to unranked Wisconsin, Iowa, and Syracuse really hurt the Boilermakers.

Looking at the AP 25, I do see Purdue has the same 8-4 record as teams like Notre Dame, South Carolina, Texas, and MS State. We don’t need to be ranked; we’re just happy to still have football games to look forward to!

Reactions: Jimbo and AZ.
No way Purdue gets invited to participate in the Group of 12 teams; as others have pointed out, Purdue did not play well enough when it counted. Losses to unranked Wisconsin, Iowa, and Syracuse really hurt the Boilermakers.
I was going to joke that having their football players graduate hurt too, but looking at the stats, Purdue isn't much different than OSU. Alabama looks like they've improved substantially, with rates below 40% in the 90s!

For whatever reason, the stats stop in 2015.

What is shocking is to see how low the MAC is (was?, this was back in 2013). I don't know if that is a transfer thing, but University of Akron sucks too much not to have their players graduate!

No one plays in late December or January unless it’s a bowl game. And the SEC sends teams to northern bowls.

Call us when your playing in the deep south in early September. Southern Heat and Humidity in late summer are far worse than Fall weather in the 50’s.

Reactions: Foxbat
No one plays in late December or January unless it’s a bowl game. And the SEC sends teams to northern bowls.

Call us when your playing in the deep south in early September. Southern Heat and Humidity in late summer are far worse than Fall weather in the 50’s.
You wish.
You can prepare for Warm weather .... you can't prepare for cold.

When was the last time Bama or Georgia or any other flavor sec team of the week played a Bowl game in Jan up north other than a Indoor stadium.

You wish.
Who plays in the cold? As shown by last weeks game, it's not exactly cold yet, and probably won't be this weekend (especially as the Big Ten is playing in an indoor stadium as are the other Power 5 conferences except the ACC).
Why can't you prepare for cold? NFL does it every year.
And if warm weather can be prepared for, why did you complain about the weather back when Florida beat Ohio State years ago?

Sorry, but complaints about weather are hollow excuses and nothing more. The only games played in winter are Bowl Games, and those are neutral site games with neither the Big Ten or SEC playing more or less.
When was the last time Bama or Georgia or any other flavor sec team of the week played a Bowl game in Jan up north other than a Indoor stadium.
When was the last time Ohio State or Michigan or any other flavor big10 team of the week played a Bowl game in Jan up north other than a Indoor stadium.

With the sole exception of the Pin Stripe Bowl in NY (which Ohio State and Michigan have never played in), all the Big Ten Bowl tie-ins are in the South.

Big Ten Conference​

2022:[6]

You can prepare for both, as long as it isnt at the extreme ends for either.

Personally I would rather play in cold weather than hot, as you will warm up somewhat from exertion. You simply arent going to meaningfully cool off to any great extent with full pads on and playing.

When its 120 on the field with high humidity, or when its 0 degrees with a stiff wind, not much you can do to prepare for either of those.

• Haha
Reactions: Derwin0 and AZ.
After the Rose kept pushing for special consideration, they were basically given an ultimatum, and they realized that while they thought they held leverage, they really had none.

Tons of tradition there, but easily replaceable in the rotation.

You can prepare for both, as long as it isnt at the extreme ends for either.

Personally I would rather play in cold weather than hot, as you will warm up somewhat from exertion. You simply arent going to meaningfully cool off to any great extent with full pads on and playing.

When its 120 on the field with high humidity, or when its 0 degrees with a stiff wind, not much you can do to prepare for either of those.
Jimbo's argument lacks merit, this isn't the NFL. Also, the University of Minnesota called and said to say that OSU fans could shut up about cold weather games. :D

But regarding weather, if you have players in your school that are locals, the cold weather games are more natural to them because they've grown up in it. They are tuned in with the conditions. So that would impact the outcome... if there were ever really cold games played, which there rarely ever is.

It is a bit interesting the deeper you go into the North and snowbelts, the less popular college football is in college programs. How many programs that matter are north of I-90? 1? 2 if you pretend Michigan State matters? 4 if you count BC and Syracuse.

• Haha
Reactions: Derwin0
After the Rose kept pushing for special consideration, they were basically given an ultimatum, and they realized that while they thought they held leverage, they really had none.

Tons of tradition there, but easily replaceable in the rotation.
Exactly, plenty of other cities that would love to take their place.

Besides, nothing stops them from having a second bowl game there, keep the Rose Bowl on Jan 1, and have a second game during years when their playoff game is not on the 1st.

It is a bit interesting the deeper you go into the North and snowbelts, the less popular college football is in college programs. How many programs that matter are north of I-90? 1? 2 if you pretend Michigan State matters? 4 if you count BC and Syracuse.
Part of that is history. The NFL were primarily a northern league, with no teams in the South until the Cowboys were added in 1960 and then the Falcons in 1966 (in response to the AFL putting teams in the South). So Southern fans gravitated instead to college football as they had no home teams to root for in the pros.

Status
Not open for further replies.