2022-2023 NCAA Football Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
When it’s 120 on the field with high humidity, or when it’s 0 degrees with a stiff wind, not much you can do to prepare for either of those.
120 degrees does not usually happen in December/January in the warmer/Hotter States, while 0 with that wind is a lot more likely in the Colder States.

And while players can wear some layers under their uniforms (I read NFL players wear Nike Hyperwarm Flex, I assume College wears the same or similar), for certain players, some do not like wearing gloves ( they should), that cold can really mess up the hands.

Reactions: AZ.
Who plays in the cold? As shown by last weeks game, it's not exactly cold yet, and probably won't be this weekend (especially as the Big Ten is playing in an indoor stadium as are the other Power 5 conferences except the ACC).

Why can't you prepare for cold? NFL does it every year.
And if warm weather can be prepared for, why did you complain about the weather back when Florida beat Ohio State years ago?

Sorry, but complaints about weather are hollow excuses and nothing more. The only games played in winter are Bowl Games, and those are neutral site games with neither the Big Ten or SEC playing more or less.

When was the last time Ohio State or Michigan or any other flavor big10 team of the week played a Bowl game in Jan up north other than a Indoor stadium.

With the sole exception of the Pin Stripe Bowl in NY (which Ohio State and Michigan have never played in), all the Big Ten Bowl tie-ins are in the South.
Unfortunately, all the Bowl games are played down south in generally really close to the other teams home .... giving them a Clear home field advantage.

The Home field advantage never happens for the teams up north.

Fortunately, the Buckeyes DO travel pretty well most years.

Jimbo's argument lacks merit, this isn't the NFL. Also, the University of Minnesota called and said to say that OSU fans could shut up about cold weather games. :D

But regarding weather, if you have players in your school that are locals, the cold weather games are more natural to them because they've grown up in it. They are tuned in with the conditions. So that would impact the outcome... if there were ever really cold games played, which there rarely ever is.

It is a bit interesting the deeper you go into the North and snowbelts, the less popular college football is in college programs. How many programs that matter are north of I-90? 1? 2 if you pretend Michigan State matters? 4 if you count BC and Syracuse.
Hmmm ...
Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Michigan State to name a few .... and those are only ones in the BT

If you feel up to it, go ahead and schedule a game in Minneapolis in Dec or Jan.

Unfortunately, all the Bowl games are played down south in generally really close to the other teams home .... giving them a Clear home field advantage.
I remember that excuse when Florida crushed Ohio State, until it was pointed out that the game in Arizona was no where near Gainsville, FL (and actually slightly closer to Columbus, OH).

And Miami is 6/12 hours away from the Georgia line (with 4 more hours to Athens), so Georgia didn't have a home field against Michigan.

Nor is South Carolina a home team in Tampa in the 2 years they beat Ohio State. Niether is Tennessee native to Orlando in their victory against the Buckeyes (or Alabama, Auburn and Georgia). All those games involve a fair bit of travel.

• Haha
Hmmm ...
Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Michigan State to name a few .... and those are only ones in the BT

If you feel up to it, go ahead and schedule a game in Minneapolis in Dec or Jan.
You quoted my post, but you didn't read it.

Again, who is playing in December or January, except for Bowl teams that are all in the same places.

You talk about playing in cold weather, except that teams in college football just don't do that, as the season ends the week after Thanksgiving.

It's the same weak excuse every year for Ohio State's failure to compete with the SEC, something that Michigan doesn't have as they've competed pretty well against the SEC. Is Columbus somehow colder than Ann Arbor?

I remember that excuse when Florida crushed Ohio State, until it was pointed out that the game in Arizona was no where near Florida.

And Miami is 6/12 hours away from the Georgia line (with 4 more hours to Athens), so Georgia didn't have a home field against Michigan.

Nor is South Carolina a home team in Tampa in the 2 years they beat Ohio State. Niether is Tennessee native to Orlando in their victory against the Buckeyes (or Alabama, Auburn and Georgia). All those games involve a fair bit of travel.
Really ????
Playing the game in your general area isn't an advantage ?

So if the Buckeyes play thier playoff game in Indy, thats not an advantage to the team playing close to home ?

Btw, 6 hours away .... you REALLY think they take a Car to the game .... a flight takes maybe an hour maybe 2.

Again, who is playing in December or January, except for Bowl teams that are all in the same places.

You talk about playing in cold weather, except that teams in college football just don't do that, as the season ends the week after Thanksgiving.

It's the same weak excuse every year for Ohio State's failure to compete with the SEC, something that Michigan doesn't have as they've competed pretty well against the SEC. Is Columbus somehow colder than Ann Arbor?
I simply said awhile back that it would be nice to have the mighty sec come up this way to play awhile back and you have dragged this into a multiple page bitch session .... 20-23 posts going back and forth, mostly stating that YOUR correct ...

Being the all perfect person, really must be hard for you to keep up that status.

Everyone has opinions, if they don't match your perfect opinion, they must be wrong.

Being the all perfect person, really must be hard for you to keep up that status.

Everyone has opinions, if they don't match your perfect opinion, they must be wrong.
LOL?!? All that because I point out facts in where and when teams play as well as the actual weather that occurs at those times? :oldlaugh

120 degrees does not usually happen in December/January in the warmer/Hotter States, while 0 with that wind is a lot more likely in the Colder States.
No, 0 degrees is only really possible in three states that has football teams, Minnesota (UM), North Dakota (UNDS), and Montana (I'm assuming there is a football team in there somewhere). And in the time window of up to November, even then, it isn't very likely. Wind chills below 0 aren't common either in Ohio, Michigan, NY, PA.
And while players can wear some layers under their uniforms (I read NFL players wear Nike Hyperwarm Flex, I assume College wears the same or similar), for certain players, some do not like wearing gloves ( they should), that cold can really mess up the hands.
Playing in the frigid cold is hard, it hurts, makes the body numb, and if you aren't used to it, it can be brutal. Playing in brutal heat is a different type of discomfort, and one that is easier to manage with fluid in take (and the fact football is start-stop). But seeing most college football programs don't play competitive games against competitive schools in extreme weather (at all?), this conversation is a bit silly. It is just more excuse making as to why *insert school* isn't undefeated for the last 120 years.

Reactions: Ronnie- and Derwin0

I didnt mean to imply that it did. Your hotter games will be at the beginning of the season, and your colder will be at the end, obviously.

Youre far more likely to have hot and warmer weather games in the south AND the north than you are to play in freezing blizzard weather however. At least at the college level.

For the most part, the weather argument is pointless for the vast majority of college football games.

But you said they never go up there?

And Alabama has a home-home schedule with a Big Ten team in 2024/25.

And why aren't the Big Ten teams coming down South in early September? It takes two to setup a home/home agreement.

The whole argument about teams being used to playing in hot/cold weather is silly, as the NCAA doesn't play in the middle of summer or winter. Their schedule is actually setup to avoid those times.

No, 0 degrees is only really possible in three states that has football teams, Minnesota (UM), North Dakota (UNDS), and Montana (I'm assuming there is a football team in there somewhere). And in the time window of up to November, even then, it isn't very likely. Wind chills below 0 aren't common either in Ohio, Michigan, NY, PA.
In 2019, hit 7 degrees November 13, in Metro Detroit Area, Wind Chill a lot less, made our decision to move a lot easier.

By the way, 76 here today, 31 back in Michigan.

Well it would be far more fun watching southern teams playing in Dec. or Jan. in Minnesota, or Chicago snow or no snow. Humid cold air cuts like a knife. Gloves would make tackling, catching and throwing harder.

For those of you that have never felt teens with a wind chill, give it a try.....lol In hot weather you can take IVs or hydrate leading up to a game. Nothing you can do for frostbite while playing a game or before.

In 2019, hit 7 degrees November 13, Metro Detroit Area a lot less, Wind Chill a lot less, made our decision to move a lot easier.
7 would be above 0. ;)

Again, temps that low aren't common in the lower midwest. Climate change appears to be making the polar vortex more wobbly, and it is venturing down "south" more often annually, but it isn't a thing that you can mark on the calendar as a certainty (yet). And when it comes, it is a fleeting visit. Except in 2013 (or 2014), that winter was COLD!!!

It is a drier cold too. Granted, any wind chill below 0 is awful, but honestly, if it is 0 and sunny, it isn't that bad, as long as one is bundled properly. The wind makes life awful. The South Shore of Massachusetts was warmer, but it was always "colder" with the ever present dampness from the Cape. Minnesota? That is a different story.

By the way, 76 here today, 31 here back in Michigan.
And the bugs are that long... in feet. Any state that requires AC in the car to be full force in May or you die is a state I can live not ever visiting.

Status
Not open for further replies.