211K setup questions

chapelrun

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Feb 12, 2008
Berryville, VA
I currently do not have Dish Network and have been exploring several options to get the History Channel and Fox News.

I like the idea of no contract and some have suggested purchasing a 211K and getting either the Welcome Package or the Family Package.

Many Questions - - - (I want to setup everything myself and then call Dish when everything is setup and ready).

1. Since the 211K is mpeg4 will it leverage mpeg4 even if I only point to 110 and 119 using a Dish 500 or will it just use mpeg2?

2. I already have OTA setup and get about 37 channels that way. I use a small 3x4 switch to feed 4 TV's around the house. Assuming a Dish 500 can I just plug in this 3x4 switch?

3. Only one RG-6 cable running from the 3x4 switch to the living room for OTA - - - will I need a di-plexor or will I need to run another cable?

4. I understand the Family Package will be $24.99 but what will the "real" month bill be assuming only one 211K on one TV? I read something about a $7 dollar charge.

5. How can I avoid the phone line not connected fee (I have CAT-5 cable near the TV but on RJ-11 phone connection) Does that count?

6. Can I call the DIRT team directly? If so how do I get to them?

7. I currently have a DTVPAL DVR which I would like to eliminate with the 211K if possible but keep all the OTA functionality (family already understands that remote)

8. When I set all the up - - - I understand for a 1 time fee of $40 dollars I can add an external hard drive to the 211K - - any advantage to waiting to do this?

9. Would I be better, the same or no different to go with an Eastern Arc Dish?

10. The goal is the cheapest best way to get both the History Channel and Fox News (SD is OK) Thus, price is much more important than HD in this case.

Sorry for all the questions - - - just trying to fact find before I spend any money - - - I'm cheap. :D

The 3x4 switch looks like this.

Attachments

• Zinwell-3x4.jpg
    Zinwell-3x4.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
1. Since the 211K is mpeg4 will it leverage mpeg4 even if I only point to 110 and 119 using a Dish 500 or will it just use mpeg2?

The ViP211k will read both Mpeg4 and Mpeg2 signals.

2. I already have OTA setup and get about 37 channels that way. I use a small 3x4 switch to feed 4 TV's around the house. Assuming a Dish 500 can I just plug in this 3x4 switch?

The switch that you displayed is aftermarket and may not work with your DISH Network equipment (for DISH Network's signal).

3. Only one RG-6 cable running from the 3x4 switch to the living room for OTA - - - will I need a di-plexor or will I need to run another cable?

ViP211k's do have an Antenna in connection on the back of the receiver. You will need to run a line for the Satellite feed and a line for the OTA feed to the receiver.

4. I understand the Family Package will be $24.99 but what will the "real" month bill be assuming only one 211K on one TV? I read something about a $7 dollar charge.

If you are just setting up and Activation Only account, the services will need to be paid in advance at the beginning of each month. The first receiver cost is included with the package and any additional receivers would have additional fees. If you only have DISH Family and the one 211k it would be $24.99 per month plus state and local tax.

5. How can I avoid the phone line not connected fee (I have CAT-5 cable near the TV but on RJ-11 phone connection) Does that count?

DISH Network no longer charges this fee.

6. Can I call the DIRT team directly? If so how do I get to them?

You can send me a PM with your phone number and a good time to contact you if you would like to speak with me over the phone.

7. I currently have a DTVPAL DVR which I would like to eliminate with the 211K if possible but keep all the OTA functionality (family already understands that remote)
8. When I set all the up - - - I understand for a 1 time fee of $40 dollars I can add an external hard drive to the 211K - - any advantage to waiting to do this?

Question number 7 and 8 can be answered together. The 211k has OTA functionality and if you pay the one time fee of $40 you can connect an external hard drive and the 211k will function like a DVR.

9. Would I be better, the same or no different to go with an Eastern Arc Dish?

If you are connecting to 110, 119, and 129 you would be fine using a 1000.2 Dish antenna. You may want Eastern Arc depending on your local channels.

10. The goal is the cheapest best way to get both the History Channel and Fox News (SD is OK) Thus, price is much more important than HD in this case.

The most cost effective option in this case would be Americas Top 120 ($44.99 per month). This package would include the two important channels that you listed. DISH America has the History Channel, but no Fox News. DISH Family has Fox News, but no History Channel.

If you have any additional questions feel free to send me a PM.

AT 120 is the only way to get both of them for the least amount of money. Need to decide which is more important. History is in the Welcome Package and Fox News is in Dish Family, but not both. You have to step up to the bigger packages to get both.

DISH Network Satellite TV Packages - DISH Network

DISH Network Satellite TV Packages - DISH Network

The main channels you lose when you move to the Family pack are AMC, CMT, History, TBS, TLC, HGTV, WE, Oxygen, MTV2 and MSNBC

but you gain BIO, CBS Sports, Cooking Channel, DIY Net, Fox news, GAC, NICK, Nicktoons, Outdoor, RFD and the Science Channel.

if you can run another cable easily, do it

you can use a diplexer, but they would need to used in pairs and replace the switch with a regular splitter

1. yes
2. no that switch is for Directv. Dish uses its own setup
3. me personally...another cable but you could use diplexers
4. 1st reciever free on acct. If you wanted to add a hard drive then there is a one time $40 fee. I have Welcome Pack and I pay 14.99 +tax
5. not needed
6. yes. Notes above
7. you could but the DTVPal DVR records 2 OTA. The 211 can record 1 OTA & 1 sat at same time
8. not really
9. depends on locals. But since you will be SD only WA would be fine

WOW, thanks for all the responds. Talked to my wife - - she is not especially excited about spending money on TV - - I'm the TV person she really is not.

Anyway, I dug around in my hayloft and found an Eastern Arc dish!! My wife says collecting dishes is a sickness of mine (how true)!!

Anyway, did some reading and it says that this dish has an internal switch - - can I just run one cable to the ground block and then to the receiver? If so what port on the dish should I use? I don't have a current dish receiver yet, but could I point it using an old Dish 510?

Wife is very worried!!!:D:D:D

Attachments

• Eastern-Arc-LNB.jpg
    Eastern-Arc-LNB.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 126
As long as it isnt the "input" one you'll be fine

The 510 wont work. Eastern Arc is MPEG4 and the 510 is only MPEG2

wait....scratch that. 61.5 TP29 is MPEG2 so you could try and aim the dish. You couldnt do a check switch as it would only find 61.5 though

Purchased a VIP211K off of Craigslist today for $19 :)

I called Dish to make sure it had Zero Balance and that I could activate it - - the said it was a "good" receiver that could be activated with no problems.

I setup my own 211K+ EHD with purchased equipment. My receiver was new and downloaded SW when setting up. After it finished I called in and was up and running in minutes. Wish I had not waited so long.

I switched around dishes several times after the initial setup. One thing I learned is that make sure you have a detected signal before running the check switch from the point dish screen. It even finds and identifies the Bell sats at 91W and 82W which I thought was strange when I was moving the dish past them.

I switched around dishes several times after the initial setup. One thing I learned is that make sure you have a detected signal before running the check switch from the point dish screen. It even finds and identifies the Bell sats at 91W and 82W which I thought was strange when I was moving the dish past them.

I thought they fixed that so it didnt sit on 82 & 91 and be bricked (by using Bell software)

Tried to point the Eastern Arc dish today - - - man that dish is hard to point!! I got so frustrated I installed a Dish 500 on 110 and 119 but that is not how I want it configured. I will try again on Saturday.

Chapel
Since you probably have a FTA receiver around try it with that. I learned the 211k meter is S L O W at reacting

Is the LNB DIshPro or Legacy? If DIshPro set it up as such on the FTA reciever
11250 LNB LO
diseqc port 2 (this is the 61.5 LNB...the one on the right if you're holding the dish from behind)
transponder 12632 V 20000
when you lock signal then remove and hook up 211k and go from there

Dish Setup

Well - - I tried and tried to get the Eastern Arc dish going but - - in the end I think it is warped a bit. Highest I got was 37 on 61.5 and 22 on 72.7 this was using the VIP211K receiver.

Ice - - I tried what you said and it worked very well for 61.5 but the other two satellites were still off after hours of fiddling. I even modified the Eastern Arc Dish to put a 1000 Plus reflector on the TurboHD dish since it was bigger. Still no dice.

Finally, I went with a Dish 500 on 110 and 119 and that works very well - - - with very strong signals. This should be just fine as all my programing will be SD only.

As usual, Ruffles helped me the whole time - - - and my arm hurts from throwing the ball. :)

A few pix of the effort.

Attachments

• Turbo-Plus-Compare2.jpg
    Turbo-Plus-Compare2.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 121
  • Turbo-Plus-Compare.jpg
    Turbo-Plus-Compare.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 145
  • 61-5-Signal&Quality.jpg
    61-5-Signal&Quality.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 139
  • 61-5LNB.jpg
    61-5LNB.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 115
Yah, I finally figured that out - - but wasted about 2 hours on that one.

Wife said - - I always seem to find the hard way to do things - - I can't really disagree.

Anyway - we decided on the Welcome Pack - it was by far the best value.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)