26 New HD Channels?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Smitty20

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 9, 2004
Well, that's what the local installer told me 2 days ago.

He actually said "by the end of the summer"

I know, I know, take it for what it's worth....

Also said the new HD DVR wont be out until December....

Questioner said:
Not surprised, fall = december usually for directv

Other than when launch failures or delays (which are out of their control) when has DirecTV shown a history huge delay of officially announced rollouts? I have just over 10 years worth watching and haven't noticed any sort of history of delays. Even all the MPEG4 HD LIL that everyone said weren't gonna happen because of this & that are happening right on schedule, even after launch issues that had to be rescheduled and forced extra testing after the fact.

Last edited:
Questioner said:
Not surprised, fall = december usually for directv

Doesn't fall end on December 22? The only problem that I have seen around here is when you hear summer or fall most people think that it should be at the very beginning. If it is not the first day then everybody is yelling that they have fallen behind schedule.

more D* jaw-jacking...

someone wake me up when these new channels are something more than vaporware.

The only jaw jacking is rumors coming from impatient customers and contract installers that are not in the loop and from people constantly claiming vaporware; which you can't have since the company itself has NEVER claimed any additions are coming..

See the definition of vaporware (which HAS NOT happened)

Vaporware (in British English: Vapourware) is software or hardware which is announced by a developer, but which then fails to emerge, either with or without a protracted development cycle. The term implies unwarranted optimism, or sometimes even deception; that is, it implies that the announcer knows that product development is in too early a stage to support responsible statements about its completion date, feature set, or even feasibility.

charper1 said:
The only jaw jacking is rumors coming from impatient customers and contract installers that are not in the loop and from people constantly claiming vaporware; which you can't have since the company itself has NEVER claimed any additions are coming..

See the definition of vaporware (which HAS NOT happened)

Vaporware (in British English: Vapourware) is software or hardware which is announced by a developer, but which then fails to emerge, either with or without a protracted development cycle. The term implies unwarranted optimism, or sometimes even deception; that is, it implies that the announcer knows that product development is in too early a stage to support responsible statements about its completion date, feature set, or even feasibility.

Installers are agents of DirecTV. Another thread had a CSR saying it, too. Close enough.

colebert said:
Installers are agents of DirecTV. Another thread had a CSR saying it, too. Close enough.

If it isn't in a D* press release or newsletter -- some official publication intended for public viewing -- then it isn't D* making a promise to the customer.

If folks reading these forums continue to believe everything they read online and feel like they've repeatedly been burned, it's their own fault for not verifying the data with the source (D*).

It's like eating at a restaurant and getting food poison: if you go back a second time and get food poison a second time, you should have known better. If you return a third time... some call it "thinning the herd" or "natural selection".

I agree with charper1. An ill-informed public can cause a lot of problems.

FWIW, I'm as anxious as anybody for more national HD channels. But a strategy has been chosen (local HD first) and it's beyond my control. Enough knee-jerk reactions.

Many Regional Sports Network GAMES Now Available!

Check out channel 96 or 97.

Here in the SF Bay Area, I can now watch the A's and Giants in Hi Def -- something that was available only through Comcast until this last week.

Ultimately, Cable will be limited by what they can shove through their limited line. With the new MPEG4 satellites, we will soon (next year?) be able to see all the MLB and NBA package games in Hi Def. I am already getting the Yankees in Hi Def throught the YES network on channel 95. Not sure if this is permanent, but just noticed this when searching for my local RSN.

colebert said:

They are only authorized agents (the CSRs) when performing the duties assigned to them, not make statements relating to company direction, as they have no direct knowledge or training to those facts. As far as installer they are hired hands of a contrator hired to do install work, they are barely agents of DirecTV and SURELY have no authorization to speak on anything past installs; many barely know how to do that.

I think that guy saying 26 new channels was being a bit selective in his information. I believe there have been 26 new channels added, but here's the thing.

1. Most, if not ALL, of them are part time in the regional sports networks.
2. Regarding regional sports networks, only the ones in YOUR area will be in HD, so not everybody will be seeing that many...not even close.
3. You have to have the new equipment installed for the HD locals, and you can only get that equipment installed if you have HD locals available in your area.

I just left D* for cable 2 weeks ago. D* SD picture on my 73" TV was looking like an old VHS tape. If they add 26 HD channels now, without providing much more transponders space, I can imagine the beauty of the HD-LITE and the VHS-Quality SD. You guys should be asking for more quality BEFORE any more "compelling" channel is added.

My wife and I are having cable installed this week.

Sorry D*, but your HD content is a joke!!

I love when people keep jumping from provider to provider. Next year when D* gets the new birds up and expands there HD lineup all you people will be running back. D*, E*, and cable should start blacklisting these people. Right now our cable company is Adelphia. They are rotten human beings. Comcrap will be taking over soon. My only options are D*, which I have, or E*. As long as D* has Sunday Ticket I am sticking with them.

My wife and I have thought about switching back to cable also. The $23 price difference keeps us from changing at the moment. The HD content is becoming a very real concern. I am not an officianado but even I can see the lack of quality coming from D. Cable may not be better but my loyalty is withering fast. Customer with D for over 7 years.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)