$299 HD-DVR w/ $100 rebate

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Been a long thread, is this deal still in effect? My brother has a basic SD box, and just got a nice big 73" screen, so HD is now mandatory (SD really looks bad stretched that large). I've seen the HR10-250 listed for as low as $450, but if he can upgrade for 299-100 rebate, that would definately be feasable. So what is the process people have used to get this deal?

Thanks,
Chris

I am about to place a hold on my account to go all Comcast. I already subsribe to their broadband and with the most basic of cable options, they have given a cable card for local HD to use for no monthly costs.
I've been a DTV subscriber since 98 and have never taken advantage of any of their hardware upgrades. Over the past few weeks, I decided to enquire about upgrading to a HD recorder or HD tuner. The best offer I got for the HR10-250 was a mere $200 instant rebate off the $499 and they said I wouldn't qualify for the $200 MIR. For the H-20 receiver, just the $200 instant rebate. Both of these offers came with 3 months of HD programming.

(BTW-I spoke to the retention department and this was their offer). When I spoke to a supervisor, Jessica (ID 28-91), she said that this was the best offer I could receive having been such a long time customer in good standing. When I pointed out that the offer she was presenting to me was the same offer and a new customer deal she insisted it was not. When I attempted to show her the exact location on the DTV site that advertised the rebate offer, she wouldn't even listen and kept talking over me. I found this supervisor to be rude, abrupt, adverse and very "green".

I have since demanded to speak with her manager and am expecting a call. I was disappointed that she/they didn't even try a little bit to work with me.

Questions: How long can I place my account on hold? Do I have to pay to re-activate?

Thanks in advance.

You can actually suspend your account for up to 9 months. I have done this in the past when I moved to a different city and could not use the satellite when I lived in an apartment.

Well, I have a good resolution to my situation. I bought the HD DVR in August for $299 with the $100 rebate. Of course, I never received the rebate. I called to complain, and the first representative told me that there was nothing she could do, and would send me a new rebate form to send in. I complained and asked to speak to a supervisor. The supervisor looked up some information, and credited my account $200, which is the current rebate (different original price though). Good deal to me.

cal87 said:
Well, I have a good resolution to my situation. I bought the HD DVR in August for $299 with the $100 rebate. Of course, I never received the rebate. I called to complain, and the first representative told me that there was nothing she could do, and would send me a new rebate form to send in. I complained and asked to speak to a supervisor. The supervisor looked up some information, and credited my account $200, which is the current rebate (different original price though). Good deal to me.

Another example how you can get different answers depending on who you talk to. I'm in the same boat. Bought the HD-Tivo in August, sent in the rebate form right away, haven't seen anything. Last week I get a $200 rebate form in the mail so I call to ask what's up. I was being nice and polite but was told that they never received my rebate form, but they do show that they mailed out the $200 rebate form to me recently. I asked if they could just credit my account instead of going through the rebate route again and was told "No". I figured for the extra $100 I'd be willing to jump through their hoops one more time. I just hate hearing that someone else did the same thing and gets different results.

-JustBob

bong said:
I am about to place a hold on my account to go all Comcast. I already subsribe to their broadband and with the most basic of cable options, they have given a cable card for local HD to use for no monthly costs.
I've been a DTV subscriber since 98 and have never taken advantage of any of their hardware upgrades. Over the past few weeks, I decided to enquire about upgrading to a HD recorder or HD tuner. The best offer I got for the HR10-250 was a mere $200 instant rebate off the $499 and they said I wouldn't qualify for the $200 MIR. For the H-20 receiver, just the $200 instant rebate. Both of these offers came with 3 months of HD programming.
(BTW-I spoke to the retention department and this was their offer). When I spoke to a supervisor, Jessica (ID 28-91), she said that this was the best offer I could receive having been such a long time customer in good standing. When I pointed out that the offer she was presenting to me was the same offer and a new customer deal she insisted it was not. When I attempted to show her the exact location on the DTV site that advertised the rebate offer, she wouldn't even listen and kept talking over me. I found this supervisor to be rude, abrupt, adverse and very "green".
I have since demanded to speak with her manager and am expecting a call. I was disappointed that she/they didn't even try a little bit to work with me.
Questions: How long can I place my account on hold? Do I have to pay to re-activate?
Thanks in advance.

I've been a DTV customer since '94 and mentioned to the CSR that same thing, that the deal that they were offering I could get by going to BestBuy. Their reasoning is that you don't have to wait for the rebates. Something I guess, but not what I think is all that great a deal for someone that has been there 12 years. After I mentioned this they did give me some discounts in service and a couple of extra months of the HD package for free. I ALWAYS deal with customer retention instead of the the first line of service. I also always go in with a cheerful attitude. I'm sure they get enough crap, so hearing someone that is happy my help them out. I will also say that EVERY time that I've called, the female CSRs are MUCH more helpful than the males. I have no idea what is up with that.

I just purchased my HR10-250 from Newegg*com for $289 after rebate. No dish however (didn't need one anyway), delivered in 3 days ($7.99 shipping):

w-w-w.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16882150003

Wirelezz said:
I just purchased my HR10-250 from Newegg*com for $289 after rebate. No dish however (didn't need one anyway), delivered in 3 days ($7.99 shipping):

w-w-w.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16882150003

Newegg is selling Directv DVR's now?!?!?! Lol, what don't they sell now?

Thanks to that tip from Wirelezz I also purchased one from Newegg for 489.99. Purchased Tuesday, got it today. Shipped out of Grove City, Ohio, double boxed. With my (vaporware) rebate and other credits my final tally should be a little over $200. That's worth a two year commitment IMO.

Perhaps a topic for another thread but... I took the cover off and the power supply has a 0546 manufacturing date on it. So, as of at least the middle of November they were still manufacturing HR10-250's. Of course, I suppose they have to until the HR20-250 is available.

Tom J

where is the rebate?

I saw it on newegg for $489 but it didn't mention a rebate. Is there still one? Thanks:confused:

Thanks for the Newegg tip.

I ordered from Newegg and receive my HR10-250 in a few days. Before ordering, I called Directv and found their best price to be $399 after rebate and mandatory $90 installation or no warranty. Seems like a no brainer to me to go with Newegg as I already have the second coax ready to go. I am taking a bit of a chance with a short warranty, but it looks like the MPEG4 will be with us soon.Hope I am correct.

I posted this in the HD forum, but I saw this thread and I wanted everyone to know about the deal that I got.

I spoke to a CSR at D* the other day and voiced my concern about buying an HR10 with the HR20's right around the corner. The first 2 people I spoke to had no clue what I was talking about and they kept passing me around. I finally got to someone that gave me a release date of June for the HR20. I asked him how much the upgrade would be to that unit if I bought the HR10 now. I was told it would be a $99 upgrade, which would include the new NASA looking 5LNB dish. Here is the deal I was given...

$299 for the HR10 ($599 - $200 MIR - $100 he knocked off for me). FREE installation ($99 value) PLUS Showtime for 6 months. Only other thing I had to buy was the OTA antenna for $50.

I thought it was a pretty darn good deal, so I went for it. Currently waiting for the installer to show up today.

It just goes to show you, it really does matter who you talk to at D*.

OK, back to the subject of this thread for a minute. You won't believe what I got in the mail today. My $100 rebate check from the HD-DVR I got back in August. That was the slowest rebate ever.

-JustBob

Ordered the HR10-250 tonight, very nice lady at customer retention gave me a pretty decent deal.
$599 HD Tivo
-$200 MIR
-$150 instant credit
3 mos free starz
3 mos free HD package
free ship/hand
free install (includes moving my current SD Tivo to another room and wiring it there)
Pretty happy with the deal, I was a little nervous with the upcoming lease program.

I must keep getting the jerks.
We called tonight and ended up canceling because retention was so rude.
They wouldn't give me any discounts except the $200 MIR.
We kept saying but that's a lot of money and the response was..how much did you pay for your HDTV?
We've called 3 times and that's about the best. What a rip off.

rebate?

thanks for the link for the rebate. Are you still elgible for a rebate if you already have DVR and HD service? 2 separate boxes of course.

Status
Please reply by conversation.