$299 HD-DVR w/ $100 rebate

Status
Please reply by conversation.
$199 Deal

I'd like to know if this really is a dead deal. My Wife finally gave me the "OK" to order it tonight and now it looks like the deal is gone. We live in So Cal. Someone please let me (us) know if I should even try. Thanks.

SirDrake said:
Actually, thinking back on my conversation with the supervisor, she did mention that the $299 deal was a promotion offered for "special circumstances".
I wonder if it was only offered to subscribers in Comcast territory, or perhaps just not offererd to those in one of the 12 regions that are going to get the MPEG4 upgrade first. (New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia, Boston, San Francisco, Dallas, Washington DC, Atlanta, Detroit, Houston, and Tampa Bay)
I'm in the NY area.
Anyone else in the big 12 get this deal?

I'm in Tampa Bay and got the deal on Sunday morning.

opticalcarrier said:
Is this a just a retention deal? If I sign up as a new sub, can I call the next day and get the HD-Tivo?

Thanks,
OC
The way it worked for me was I called and got the basic deal. After it was installed and activated I called the next day and got the HDTIVO at the retention deal. I couldn't get it until I had activated the first receiver.

Missed It Then

It looks like I missed out on the offer and now I'm considering the possibility of switching to Adelphia or Dish if I can get a better HD/DVR combo offer. I've had a HDTV for a couple of months now and I just can't wait to see it do what it was born to do. I may just have to wait for DirecTV MPEG4 w/o DVR and then pay a hefty fee to upgrade to the HDDVR later on. :no

I got the deal last Thursday (9/22). I called at least a dozen CSRs and I finally asked for "retention". Suddenly I had a guy who looked at my history and gave me the deal ($299 less 100 rebate and $10 off HBO for 6 months, which I would have paid for anyway; net about $175 with tax and $15 shipping and handling). The install is tomorrow (10/1). Make sure you specifically ask for retention.

Does anyone know when the $299 - $100 offer will expire (or has it already??). I made the stupid mistake of going to Cable to get a free DVR - The motorola DVR Comcast provides absolutely sucks....

How did your neighbor get one for $149? You sure it wasn't an plain hd receiver. I was misquoted $199 for the hd dvr then the guy checked and told me it would be more because the $199 was for just a HD receiver and not the hd tivo which cost me $649 - $100 mir. I have the hd package free for 3 months but for some reason i am not getting the discounted hbo or free showtime so far and something leads me to believe i will not get the extra $100 off the tivo as well.

Directv charged my neighbor $499 for the HD TIVO. He received an instant credit of $250 from directv which dropped the price down to $249 and received a $100 mail in rebate which would bring the total amount out of pocket down to $149. He show me is bill online with all of these credits. My neighbor's one year contract was up and he called in to cancel when directv offered him this deal. I wish I had known about this because I paid $499 for the HD TIVO that I am having installed later on this morning.

Here's what I got:
$499 - $100 rebate = $399 + tax
I also got Showtime free for 6 months.

Still not convinced I got the best deal but I'm not bound until install. I'm tempted to call back and say "you can do better if you want me to stay".............

vanolesman25 said:
Directv charged my neighbor $499 for the HD TIVO. He received an instant credit of $250 from directv which dropped the price down to $249 and received a $100 mail in rebate which would bring the total amount out of pocket down to $149. He show me is bill online with all of these credits. My neighbor's one year contract was up and he called in to cancel when directv offered him this deal. I wish I had known about this because I paid $499 for the HD TIVO that I am having installed later on this morning.

When did your neighbor get the dvr? In September? I'm afraid that they might not be offering the deal anymore....

vanolesman25 said:
last week.

Don't shoot the messenger, I'm only relaying what the CSR told me just now. They said the $299 deal expired in Sept and the current deal is $499-$100 rebate. I asked when they are rolling out MPEG4 in the DC area and they said Nov/Dec. They also told me that the MPEG4 HD DVR won't be available until late 2006. Plus, they said there won't be any credit given for swapping old HD DVR's for the new ones. Basically, she said I should just wait rather than paying $499 for an HD DVR now and then having to pay full price for an upgrade a year from now.

Again, this is what they told me. I'm not saying it's gospel.

Still, I decided to just wait.

On a side note, I get all my DC locals in HD through OTA. Is there any compelling reason why I'd want to upgrade to MPEG4?

I have been told by numerous D* CSRs that equipment would be upgraded. Most said upgrades would be free and one said there might be a small fee. They all told me D* track record has always been to upgrade equipment.
I am scheduled for HD DVR install on Nov 11 and now you have me thinking again!!!

You are correct. That was the deal that I was offered as well. My install was set for last Monday but I called and told Directv that I wanted to cancel service because Dish was offering an HD DVR for $250. I was placed on hold the rep said that she could match the offer of $250($499 - $250 instant credit on my account) and I would still be able to get $100 mail in rebate. I was also offered the premier package at a $20 discount for six months, Superfan add on for NFL Sunday Ticket for $49, and the HD package free for three months. I have been with Directv for 4 years and this was the first time that I had actually threatened to cancel service. Maybe the fact that Dish offer to new customers for the 942($250 to lease), played a role in Directv making this offer. I am glad I was able to get the HD TIVO at this price because now I own the equipment instead of just leasing it. My install date for the HD TIVO even stayed the same after all of the changes that were made to the original order.

I got shafted when I called DirecTV. I was supposed to get a $100 rebate, 6 months of free showtime and 6 months of discounted hbo. I did get the 6 months free hd package. I did not get the $100 rebate in my bill NOR did I get the 6 months of hbo or showtime.
To top it off I can only get 2 channels ota on it only some of the time. So I called this week and told them I wanted to return it. They checked and told me I couldn't return it as once it was installed it was mine. Ok asked to speak to super was told the same thing. Was sent to cancellation department and told them I wanted to cancel and wasn't going to pay an early term fee or any bills from them. Was ok'd and hung up.

2 hours later someone from directv calls and asks for payment. I procede to tell him I am not satisfied with my directivo and asked if i could sell it. He told me I could. So I paid the $188 left over from last month and am taking my hdtivo down to the local ebay store for them to sell for me this week. I'm not happy but not upset either. Just wish they would have told me I didn't have 30 days to return it before the installers left. But then again most people are so excited to have a new toy that they don't realize how bad it is until they calm down. At least with cable if I don't like something I can take it back to the office and return it and be free of it. I also told them cable was offering me free dvr for 6 months and they still wouldn't go down to the $199 price ( i did get an extra $100 programming credit but gotta check the bill to make sure it is there).

hooks61 said:
I have been told by numerous D* CSRs that equipment would be upgraded. Most said upgrades would be free and one said there might be a small fee. They all told me D* track record has always been to upgrade equipment.
I am scheduled for HD DVR install on Nov 11 and now you have me thinking again!!!

This seem logical to me. I really can't imagine they would shaft all existing HD-TIVO owners with a full upgrade expense. However, I didn't see the point in arguing with the CSR.

Today I called and received $499 - $100 MIR - $100 credit for HR10-250 + OTA Antenna + 3mths HD Package free + 6mths Showtime free + 6mths HBO @ 2$/mth. New 2 year committment with $12.50/mth charge for early cancellation.

So, $299 for HD-DVR and OTA Antenna plus some free programming. I'm okay with that. I had a hard time getting it.

The best I got at first was on my second call transfer, where someone called Tracy offered 499-100 Rebate -100 Credit, but no OTA Antenna. I called Dish to get their numbers and then called D* back and got a guy named Sherman who said to me that he wouldn't have even offered what Tracey had offered. That guy bugged me. So I called customer service and told them I wanted to schedule a day for service cancellation. I mentioned this guy Sherman and how rude I thought he was. I really didn't like threatening a cancellation, but it did get me the best deal. I'm in Phoenix AZ.

Good luck.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts