$299 HD-DVR w/ $100 rebate

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Kordster said:
I hope they honor the lifetime subscription, but it is my understanding that when you buy a lifetime sub, it is for the life of that TIVO box, not your lifetime. If it burns out and you have to buy another unit, you have to purchase another lifetime sub or pay monthly.
If this is the case, your lifetime sub would still be active on the old unit, but not on the new one you are getting from DirecTv.
I hope I'm wrong.

You are wrong on this one. I had my lifetime subscription on an old Sony D*Tivo, the box died and I thought I was out of luck. They even at one point told me the lifetime D*Tivo was not transferable to a new box. However after looking into this and finding out they were honoring the subscriptions on new boxes I called again and the CSR this time looked up my data, saw that I was a lifetime D*Tivo subscriber, made the change to my account to get the DVR service for free since I was paying the $4.99 fee monthly on the D*Tivo I was currently using and they credited my account back all the $4.99 fees I had paid since I had hooked up the new D*Tivo.

Kordster said:
I hope they honor the lifetime subscription, but it is my understanding that when you buy a lifetime sub, it is for the life of that TIVO box, not your lifetime. If it burns out and you have to buy another unit, you have to purchase another lifetime sub or pay monthly.
If this is the case, your lifetime sub would still be active on the old unit, but not on the new one you are getting from DirecTv.
I hope I'm wrong.

Actually you are both wrong and right. WIth a D* tivo the lifetime service is tied to your account so you could go through 100 tivos and you'd still have it.

Now if you have a regular stand alone tivo the lifetime service is on the box. If it dies you lose it unless the box is replaced under warranty then it does transfer.

Kordster said:
I hope I'm wrong.

CWS_kahunais
is right it is on the account I just took off my very 1st Tivo I got the lifetime on and changed it out for the HD Tivo and no problems , I still have the lifetime.

belsokar said:
I just setup an installation for next week yesterday through Verizon....after several attempts at trying to get the "deal" through normal CSR's, I finally decided to roll the dice and try to just get it through Customer Retention after signing up, but before installation...I just made my first call to Customer Retention, was very nice and polite, and they declined the offer...I will call again tomorrow, and ask them one more time, but then tell them I'm going to stick with cable for now because I can't afford the $500 offer...the truth is, I'm willing to cancel, so I won't be bluffing, but I'm just hoping I won't have to bluff, because I'm tired of cable, and tired of Adelphia's Moxi box...its nice to have a dual tuner HD DVR, but with only 80gb, and TONS of bugs, and horrible cable service,...I'm just tired of it all...so wish me luck in getting the $299 deal!

Don't cancel. Keep calling, eventually you'll get it. It took me 3 calls before I got the deal.

is the 299 - 100mir still in effect? I hope I didnt miss out...is it too late?

im an ex-subscriber (canceled 2 years ago) if its not too late, should i sign back up with a normal package? or a hdtv package or a tivo package before I call in and get the 299-100 deal?

here's mine (and many other here I think) story:

I purchase an HD DVR though best buy (599-100 rebate) and set up installation with them. The installer though got confused and thought he was installing 3 regular receivers (although he still set up one of the receivers as being the HD DVR). He went ahead and activated 2 receivers. As soon as he was finished installing and have the receivers activated I literally called 5 minutes later and got the deal. They schedule a new "installation" for a couple of days later when another installer would bring me the HD DVR. Meanwhile, I went ahead and activated my best buy HD DVR (why wait??? :D ). When the new HD DVR arrived I just returned the first one to best buy (as they wouldn't match the price from Direct!). Now, before that (when I didn't have an active account) I tried several times to get the deal and I had no succes. I think the bottom line is: you MUST be a current subscriber (even if you have been one for only 5 minutes) to get the deal.

Good luck. Just try it this way, you won't regret cause the HD TIVO is AWESOME :yes . If you call them (be nice and polite) after you have it all installed and they don't give you the deal just tell them you're cancelling the whole thing then. You have 7 days to cancel it (if you do it through directtv) or 30 days (if you do it through best buy). :yes

opticalcarrier said:
Is this a just a retention deal? If I sign up as a new sub, can I call the next day and get the HD-Tivo?

Thanks,
OC

cool thanks for all the great info. if I dig up an old series 1 (non directv tivo) that has lifetime tivo sub, will they xfer that over to the hd-directivo?

kbohip said:
Uh....okay. You're pairing up a 20 year old TV with an HD-Tivo?! What a waste. The things you listed seem like small shortcomings to put up with for having an HD Tivo. You are wrong about #5 though, well half wrong anyway. It will show the exact date of a show but only on shows that have been recorded. When you see a show in the Now playing list go to it and hit the info button. It will bring up more info about the actors that were in it and also the exact date.

Was your old box one of the Ultimate tv things? I've heard about them but have never seen one.

Hello. No this box was one of the first HD boxes specifically for DirecTV, it is a SD3000. Toshiba quit making them since Sony, RCA, etc came out with there's. I'm now trying to return this thing to DirecTV, but they won't let me. I'm in the process of writing letters to them, since nobody on the phone can help me.

New Number, but got mine today!!

I called the old 800 number, and there is a recording there that gives a new number. The new number is 1-800-531-5000. I followed the voice prompts for adding or upgrading new hardware. I told the CSR that a friend of mine got a deal on a hd tivo for $299 - $100 rebate. He looked for a while, then put me on hold. When he came back he said it was a special offer, but that I do qualify for being a long-time customer. I tried to get the OTA antenna for free, but it was $50. I have a question about that, but will ask in another post. I also told him my friend got free HBO and half off the HD package. He said I could not get HBO, but gave me free Showtime for 3 months and $5 off the HD package.

No probs at all!

Thanks to the guys in this post!!! Appreciate it much!
GuitarJ

I've got 2 questions. I have got a hdtivo on the way, and was wondering if it will record from your off the air antenna like it does the satellite? My other question is I only have one phone jack by my tv and that is occupied by my standard tivo unit. Can a get by with using a 2 into 1 phonejack splitter so both tivos would work on the same jack?

didnt work

I told a coworker about this. Hes been a directv sub for a few years now, and they wouldnt give them the deal, they did offer him a $599 with $100 MIR though.

He called the 1-800-531-5000 number. Does it just depend on the rep that you get? Any ideas why he didnt get the deal?

I just found out about this deal yesterday.
I called Customer retention twice today and was denied both times.
All they would offer me was $499 -$100 rebate and told me that the $299 - $100 rebate offer was over.
I even spoke to a supervisor the second time and she would not budge.
I have been a subscriber since 2000, I have two HD receivers and one standard.
I am in good standing, pay bill on time, etc.
I even told them that Dish Network offered me their HD DVR for $200 (normally $250) - no dice! Te best she would offer me is $499 -$100.
I noticed some people in the forums still getting the $299 deal even today!
What gives? Any advice?

SirDrake said:
I just found out about this deal yesterday.
I called Customer retention twice today and was denied both times.
All they would offer me was $499 -$100 rebate and told me that the $299 - $100 rebate offer was over.
I even spoke to a supervisor the second time and she would not budge.
I have been a subscriber since 2000, I have two HD receivers and one standard.
I am in good standing, pay bill on time, etc.
I even told them that Dish Network offered me their HD DVR for $200 (normally $250) - no dice! Te best she would offer me is $499 -$100.
I noticed some people in the forums still getting the $299 deal even today!
What gives? Any advice?

Same thing happened to me... all I could get was $499 - $100 rebate...

I just might go back to cable.

Actually, thinking back on my conversation with the supervisor, she did mention that the $299 deal was a promotion offered for "special circumstances".
I wonder if it was only offered to subscribers in Comcast territory, or perhaps just not offererd to those in one of the 12 regions that are going to get the MPEG4 upgrade first. (New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia, Boston, San Francisco, Dallas, Washington DC, Atlanta, Detroit, Houston, and Tampa Bay)
I'm in the NY area.
Anyone else in the big 12 get this deal?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)