$299 HD-DVR w/ $100 rebate

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I signed up and just had my D* service started on Friday. I was a customer from 96 to 2000 before I moved to an apartment with no south view. They started me as a new customer and I got 2 std receivers and 1 SD Tivo.

Called back today and mentioned a great deal on HD DVR to the CSR in retention. She offered up the $299 + $49 OTA antenna with no trouble. Install is set for Friday morning.

I had E* and they were very stingy with HD DVR's even though I was with them for a couple of years. Now D* ponies up the offer after less than a week. I should have gone back to D* in the beginning.

Even if you are a new customer don't give up...just be polite and patient. Since I am already getting TCP free for 4 months (ST new customer offer) I did not even ask for programming credits. I am just happy to get the great price!

Are they shipping it to you?

jimisham said:
I'm glad I came across this thread. I was thinking about getting an R10 from weaknees with 215 hours for $169 after the rebate to replace my Sony SAT-60. I'm not ready for HD yet, but did want the extra SD recording time.
But I decided to call in and see what they would offer with no threats or whining planned. If needed, that would come later:).
Because I've been with them for over 7 years, I'm getting the same $299 deal (before rebate) plus $14.95 for shipping and $18.84 in taxes.
I'll be getting it Wednesday. Looks like I'm one step closer to HD.

Are they shipping it directly to your home address? I thought these had to be installed by DTV?

I just ordered mine

I just had to say thanks to everyone. I just called the retention number and asked about the dvr - she said it was 649 + 100 mail-in rebate. I told her my neighbor told me he just upgraded to HD and he got his for $399.00 + rebate. She "looked up some stuff" and she said I see that and the price is $299.00. So, like many of you, i just ordered mine for $299.00 + 14.00 for handling charges. It is not being shipped to you - it's like a new installation, but only for current subscribers. It would have included the dish as well if I needed it. I was so happy that I didn't care about other free programming so I never asked for it. But needless to say, 299.00 is a great price. All you have to do is wait for them to come hook it up (which will be 3 days from now) and then mail back the rebate form. The only downside to this is i'll be losing my caller id that's on my current HD box. Oh well. Plus, instead of the 4.99 i'm paying for TIVO now, it's going to be $5.99. Good luck to all.

Well, see my earlier posts in this thread re my adventures in getting the HR10-250 as a new D* subscriber. All went well, everything working no problem.

My regular SD Tivo got a firmware upgrade just before the HD Tivo was installed. It provides for grouping of recorded shows and a MUCH faster program guide. Too bad the HD Tivo didn't get the upgrade. And I hear from other threads that we may not see new firmware EVER. No wonder they are providing this good deal.

However, I did speak to someone on the phone at D* and she thought they <would> be getting a firmware upgrade out for the HR10-250 at some point. Who knows?

Fgsilva said:
I was too impatient so I ended up buying the DVR at best buy. they'll be coming to install it tomorrow. Not sure if, after I install it if I should return it, then call retention and see what they'll do?? But the two year committment kinda worries me a bit...

How much at Best Buy? Even if you left D* the day after you "signed" a 2 year commitment, the cancellation fee is only $300. The longer you stay, the less it is.

Can anyone give me a tip on how to obtain superfan and an OTA as part of this deal. I have read others on this post who have been able to negotiate these items. I am a new subscriber who just activated. Through a series of fortunate events, I already had a conversation with D* who have me down for the 299.00 offer. When I called to activate, the representative even pointed out to me "wow, I see that we are offering you an HD-Tivo for 299.00, that's a great deal". I told him that I was planning to call back after I got buy in from the wife to pull the trigger.

Yes, I know I am being greedy, but since i read that others have managed to also get programming thrown in and even an OTA, I was curious as to how I should best approach the conversation when I call back to order.

Any help is appreciated.

Do I return mine!

This the first time seeing the forums here. :) I purchased the Hd Tivo today at best buy for $599 - $100 rebate. :( Do I need to return it then call up retention or can D just issue me a rebate of some sort? I assume I would have to return it but any ideas would be welcome.

Well, I had the standard install done yesterday...got a SD Tivo and a SD receiver. I called the retention line and the rep was as nice as he could be. I told him I heard about the deal, he said yes I was eligable for it. 299 - 100 mir. No other freebies, but thats OK. Going to have the Sunday Ticket and Super Fan this Fall and a brand new HD-Tivo.

I got it also.

Called the 1-800-600-8977 number also and got the $299- $100 mir. I just need to take back the one I bought to best buy for a refund.

litig8 said:
Can anyone give me a tip on how to obtain superfan and an OTA as part of this deal. I have read others on this post who have been able to negotiate these items. I am a new subscriber who just activated. Through a series of fortunate events, I already had a conversation with D* who have me down for the 299.00 offer. When I called to activate, the representative even pointed out to me "wow, I see that we are offering you an HD-Tivo for 299.00,

I am in the exact situation as you. I simply asked about an OTA antenna. They said that would be $50, then I said I had heard of some folks getting it for free. He clicked a few keys and said, "OK we can do that" and did it for free. My approach was to be ultra polite the whole conversation. . .

Upset I bought the thing now

Well, I'm glad I got the price for this thing, but am terribly upset that I got rid of my 4-yr old Toshiba DST3000. This thing is so behind the times of every other box I've had it's rediculous.

Here's a list of things my old box had that Tivo could easily implement, but won't:
1. Caller ID
2. Color Coded Guides (sports=green, movies=magenta, etc.)
3. In guide, when cursor was highlighted on the channel/logo, at the top of the guide it displayed the next 6 showings for that channel instead of what the channel was about (how lame is that?)
4. Antenna input was for both analog and digital input so you could hook up your cable broadcasts to it.
5. In the guide, you'll notice that the info only shows the year of the show instead of the date. My old box showed the actual date of the first broadcast. This helped a ton when it was a repeat show. So it would actually show 07/24/05 instead of 2005.

Tive has so disappointed me, I'm moving my Toshiba back to the living room and putting this thing in my bedroom where I have a 20 yr old 20 inch tv. :(

vitiris said:
Well, I'm glad I got the price for this thing, but am terribly upset that I got rid of my 4-yr old Toshiba DST3000. This thing is so behind the times of every other box I've had it's rediculous.

Here's a list of things my old box had that Tivo could easily implement, but won't:
1. Caller ID
2. Color Coded Guides (sports=green, movies=magenta, etc.)
3. In guide, when cursor was highlighted on the channel/logo, at the top of the guide it displayed the next 6 showings for that channel instead of what the channel was about (how lame is that?)
4. Antenna input was for both analog and digital input so you could hook up your cable broadcasts to it.
5. In the guide, you'll notice that the info only shows the year of the show instead of the date. My old box showed the actual date of the first broadcast. This helped a ton when it was a repeat show. So it would actually show 07/24/05 instead of 2005.

Tive has so disappointed me, I'm moving my Toshiba back to the living room and putting this thing in my bedroom where I have a 20 yr old 20 inch tv. :(

Uh....okay. You're pairing up a 20 year old TV with an HD-Tivo?! What a waste. The things you listed seem like small shortcomings to put up with for having an HD Tivo. You are wrong about #5 though, well half wrong anyway. It will show the exact date of a show but only on shows that have been recorded. When you see a show in the Now playing list go to it and hit the info button. It will bring up more info about the actors that were in it and also the exact date.

Was your old box one of the Ultimate tv things? I've heard about them but have never seen one.

I just wanted to say thanks to all of you for the heads-up on the HD-DVR deal. I got it for $199 plus 3 months free of HD programming, 6 months free of HBO, Showtime and the SportsPack. They are coming out 9/17 to install which leads me to my questions.

I live in the Los Angeles area currently but am moving to the San Diego area (in 2 months) and want to keep my LA local channels. Should I have them install in my LA home, connecting to a phone line; then manually take the dish and receievers with me to San Diego and then NOT plug it into a phone line there? Would that work?

Also, if that works, would it do me any good to get an OTA antenna to also get the San Diego locals (or would that mess everything up)? Also, with that said, do I need an OTA for the Los Angeles HD locals the CSR at the Retention office seemed to think so?

Thanks for all the help. . .

Reber Unit

Does any know if you can still get the $100 rebate if you buy a referbished DVR from some place and activate it?

jim tressler said:
for those who have recently had the hd tivo installed.. does the hdmi port work?

jim
I don't use it, but there are alot of threads saying it is defective in ALOT of units. Suggestions are if its not working, call D* and get a new one.--Ray

Does this offer require subscription to HD channels?

My current DVR just died and I want to upgrade to an HD tv but this will take some time. Can I order the HD DVR and use it with my existing tv until I obtain the HD tv? Will DirectTV require subscription to the HD channels to honor this deal? Thanks! -Kevin

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)