3 Tuners kinda stinks.

With my directv set up I had 2 HD DVRs. I could record 2 shows on each one.

Now I have a hopper and a joey. If someone on the joey wants to record one show, and watch another, or record 2 shows, then I cannot record 2 shows on the hopper. The installer said the joey and the hopper should be able to record 2 things EACH. Maybe I'm not doing something right?

You sure need a lot of cheese to go with all your whine recently. Hope you get it on Thanksgiving................

I think that policy will change once the monthly price for an extra Hopper is raised to $14 (or thereabouts). It's the only way to recover the higher investment costs of the Hopper.

I sure hope your wrong on the extra price on the 2nd hopper,but I bet that you aren't. I never understood why a second 722k dual tuner is $17.00 ,but a 2nd hopper with three tuners is only $7.00. But it sure would be a big bait and switch if they hiked the price after we all upgraded to a second hopper. I would have to rethink keeping the 2nd hopper if they do this. Especially if they also hike the programming pack price as well by $8.00 - $10.00.

Especially if they also hike the programming pack price as well by $8.00 - $10.00.
I agree with everything you said, but that's not gonna happen. I say $5 max on base package prices. That's about the historical 2-year price increase ($2-$3 per year).

well dish hasnt raised package fees in a couple of years
so i see at least $5 and a min of $1 per reciever coming
oh and a special $5 per sub fee for charlies next vacation

I agree with everything you said, but that's not gonna happen. I say $5 max on base package prices. That's about the historical 2-year price increase ($2-$3 per year).

Scott says most likely $8.00 . I tend to believe it will be that great too. Will see what happens come February. If DISH does a one- two punch and hikes both the price of additional receivers and a large programming pack hike too, it will be very ,very bad for DISH's customer base . Large Churn will ensue.

I'm finding that the 3 tuners is fine for a family of 3. One of the things we've had to do is re-train ourselves when watching Prime Time programming live. I've coached everyone to go to the PTAT folder on the DVR and play the programs from there instead of tuning to one of the 4 networks live and using up another tuner.

I sure hope your wrong on the extra price on the 2nd hopper,but I bet that you aren't. I never understood why a second 722k dual tuner is $17.00 ,but a 2nd hopper with three tuners is only $7.00. But it sure would be a big bait and switch if they hiked the price after we all upgraded to a second hopper. I would have to rethink keeping the 2nd hopper if they do this. Especially if they also hike the programming pack price as well by $8.00 - $10.00.

I think Dish would be stupid to do that. If they raised the price of a second Hopper to $14 or $17 and then raised the price of packages $8 to $10 more that would be suicide. Hell you could go to Direct and get the HR34 and two HR24's and it would be cheaper. That's if Dish did raise prices like that.

I think Dish would be stupid to do that. If they raised the price of a second Hopper to $14 or $17 and then raised the price of packages $8 to $10 more that would be suicide. Hell you could to to Direct and get the HR34 and two HR24's and it would be cheaper. That's if Dish did raise prices like that.

charlie is like a crack dealer
get ya hooked, then raise the prices

I find it mildly amusing that everyone refers to "Charlie" as if they personally know him. Also amusing is when they accuse him of doing the same stuff every other company does. As if whatever company they deal with is any better.

Sent from my iPad 2 using SatelliteGuys

I find it mildly amusing that everyone refers to "Charlie" as if they personally know him. Also amusing is when they accuse him of doing the same stuff every other company does. As if whatever company they deal with is any better.

Sent from my iPad 2 using SatelliteGuys

I agree. All the CEO's and media companies are rouges and they ALL do the same type of "stuff" to their customers.

As far as our personal relationship with the Dish and Echostar Chairman, it's because "Charlie" has used the personalization approach to have Dish [Network] stand out and compete with much larger companies. Mr. Ergen, had to find ways to compete with much larger DirecTV and cable cos. Dish Network was chosen as the brand for the TV service because it was a ubiquitous terms used to refer to the satellite reflectors. People, even DirecTV customers or CSR's couldn't help but use the word "Dish" in any exchanges regarding a satellite system.

Since DirecTV, at the time, was under Hughes Electronics, a legacy defense contractor (you know, part of the huge military industrial complex and used to getting FAT contracts and conducting business as if still in the gilded age: take the clients out to a suits required restaurant with entrees priced at $80 and up) which was owned by another blue suit company, General Motors, Dish felt they needed to take the opposite approach from the Ivory Tower corporate attitude to their customers. So, Dish worked to become the "down-home, folksy" kind of company who seemed to take a personal interest in each customer, and it's CEO would take the page from Walt Disney and Lee Iaccoca, and become the face of the company who would send letters worded in a somewhat personal style and always with his signature (not so much the case today as appropriate department heads now sign letters to customers regarding changes, etc.). Charlie Ergen was to seem approachable, the CEO who would come down from his corner office and speak directly to the customer in ads and other media, and he was on TV with his "Charlie Chats" saying HE wanted to hear from YOU and had his email address as CEO@[server]. He did state the he does read those email (or at lest gets them in the form of reports and perhaps checks in on a few himself) and in those days it seemed clear he really did read them, which probably hasn't been the case the last 4+ years.

So, just like if something wasn't quite right or was working well at Disneyland, folks would refer to "Walt" doing a fine or job or needing to fix something. The Disney Corporation in those years was Walt, or Walt was Disney Corp. Charlie IS Dish [Network] and people refer to him as "Charlie" because that's how he wants it. As a co-founder the company is something personal to him. He personalized the company, and even the press can't help but refer to "the erstwhile Charlie Ergen" whenever publishing a story about Dish or Echostar because he was a corporate character. In those days hardly anybody knew who the CEO of DirecTV was, and even today most people don't (our dear Michael White) nor did they know any of the CEO's at the big cable cos, but no one in the press had to look up the CEO of Dish/Echostar because everybody knew who that was, and a more than a few customers knew as well. Old Charlie even appeared in several TV commercials sharing his picture of when he co-founded Dish and talked in a personal style about his company and how he thought it ought to be for the customer.

I doubt we'll see the James Dolan, Mike White, Brian Roberts, Glenn Britt, and all the other CEO's ever even contemplating addressing the masses. However Ergen's move to have his small company stand out was clever, and because he is known for pretty much speaking his mind in interviews and corporate conference calls, people can't help but feel that, like Walt and Lee before him, they do know him a lot better than his colleagues at other media companies. So, "Charlie", you had better keep the rates as low as possible. Do people in the DirecTV forum refer to "Mike" when addressing problems or praise as much as folks here blame or credit "Charlie"? I don't know; do they?

Last edited:
I like to think that everyone refers to him as Charlie because of how he was always pretty hands on with the company through the years. He wanted people to see him and get to know him by having the Charlie Chats. I think it also helps that he's about the only person to run a TV business this long.

And didn't TWC's CEO say he didn't understand AirPlay? Meanwhile "Charlie" and Apple and Google are busy trying to launch an over the internet pay-TV service with lower costs and lower prices to consumers. I'll "Charlie" know all about AirPlay as he does seem to know where the technology is moving and understands technology that can affect his business.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)