3 Tuners kinda stinks.

So this post has to do with the three tuners so I think it is actually on topic.

If I have PTAT activated, I assume I will I be able to use all three tuners NOT during prime time, right?

That is just awesome! Wasn't expecting you to be able to get it done so easily. +1 for Dish!

Sent from my iPad 2 using SatelliteGuys

3HaloODST, I see you have 3 Hoppers and 2 Joeys. I think that is the way I am leaning right now unless Iceberg can talk me out of it. LOL Do you know of a diagram that shows how this is wired up? Can my 1000+ and DPP44 switch be used? I know the DPP44 can be used for two Hoppers but what about three Hoppers? My plan is one Hopper for the kids room with no Joeys. The remaining two Hoppers each have one Joey. Also these two Hoppers will have external modulators to feed the home distribution splitter for the remaining TVs that are all SD. Did Dish provide your three Hoppers or did you purchase one from another source?

So, you are paying an extra $7/month for integration features that should have been provided from the start/upgraded by now. ;)

Yeah, I'm really suffering! :p And, it's only $1/month more than my previous 722/622/211. Of course, if I didn't want PIP I could just use a Joey at my primary TV and not pay any extra.

ripnbigc said:
Dirt said I couldn't do a 2 Hopper 1Joey. Had to. Do 2 of each, but I only have 3 TVs so I went with 1 Hopper and 2 Joeys. Kinda disappointed.

Call back and do 2H & 2J, then when installer gets there tel him to take a Joey off or have him activate all then a couple days later call and deactivate the unused Joey.

Sent from my Phone using SatelliteGuys

3HaloODST, I see you have 3 Hoppers and 2 Joeys. I think that is the way I am leaning right now unless Iceberg can talk me out of it. LOL Do you know of a diagram that shows how this is wired up? Can my 1000+ and DPP44 switch be used? I know the DPP44 can be used for two Hoppers but what about three Hoppers? My plan is one Hopper for the kids room with no Joeys. The remaining two Hoppers each have one Joey. Also these two Hoppers will have external modulators to feed the home distribution splitter for the remaining TVs that are all SD. Did Dish provide your three Hoppers or did you purchase one from another source?

You'll need either 2 DPP44s or a DPP44 + DPP33. DPP33 only does three orbitals though. So the two on the DPP44 would have four and the one on the DPP33 would have three if you went that route. Here's a wiring diagram I made of my setup :-

http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/287591-installing-a-3rd-Hopper?p=2903300#post2903300

You'll need either 2 DPP44s or a DPP44 + DPP33. DPP33 only does three orbitals though. So the two on the DPP44 would have four and the one on the DPP33 would have three if you went that route. Here's a wiring diagram I made of my setup :-

http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/287591-installing-a-3rd-Hopper?p=2903300#post2903300

Thanks, I found your diagram over at the other site. I am running all four birds so I would say another DPP44 switch. Will I have to purchase the switch, hopper, and solo node? Will the second DPP44 switch require a power inserter too?

Thanks, I found your diagram over at the other site. I am running all four birds so I would say another DPP44 switch. Will I have to purchase the switch, hopper, and solo node? Will the second DPP44 switch require a power inserter too?

Yep on all 3. The second DPP44 will also need a power inserter. Note that I did not hook up the duo node to the power inserter. The nodes don't get along very well with the power inserter. So put the power inserter on port 1 by itself, and place the node on ports 2-4, or in the case of the solo, 2-3.

Yep on all 3. The second DPP44 will also need a power inserter. Note that I did not hook up the duo node to the power inserter. The nodes don't get along very well with the power inserter. So put the power inserter on port 1 by itself, and place the node on ports 2-4, or in the case of the solo, 2-3.

OK, thanks again. Good Lord this is getting expensive. I may join Iceberg yet at Direct!

I called the loyalty department and nicely asked them if I could have a 2nd hopper to replace the joey. They hooked me up with one for free. Next week I will have 6 tuners instead of directv's 5. Best of all my bill won't go up. Can you say HAPPY?

And that's not the clear winner? :).

Iceberg, you are the man, but I've seen your posts for quite a while now, and you have become a DirecTV fanboy, although a subtle and polite one :). However, I do think that both Dish and Direct have good points and other points that BLOW! I heartily recommend DirecTV for the ultimate sports lovers. For RSN's in HD 24/7 and the recent addition of TWC's Lakers channel, DirecTV is clear winner.

But let's not forget that DirecTV is following Dish with a 3 tuner Genie. I really don't think the gloating of the soon to be discontinued 5 tuner unit (the economies, obviously, just don't work, and since DirecTV is a well run company, there are wisely going to follow Charlie's spreadsheet.) will last that long once people at DirecTV will have the same complaints as the Dish folks with a virtually identical system and the same number of tuners. Mike White isn't dumb enough to bet the future and a load of $$$ on a 5 tuner Power User only product. And Mike can collect the additional box fee just like Charlie if folks want 6 tuners. Now, that's how to run a company, for the shareholders, that is.

I think as more of this is discussed, Dish will realize that the current policy is silly and needs to be revised. Luckily with some leg work I was able to setup a 2 hopper no joey.

There are over 20 channels that I like, and I've seen as many as 8 of them playing something at the same time.

It's ridiculous that every hopper needs a joey. If people want to go with a 2 Hopper set up, one for each TV, then this means that they have to pay the extra amount for the 2 other joeys, even if they are not using them. That is BS.

Customers should be able to mix and match Hoppers and Joeys to SUIT their TV configurations. Dish needs to re-think this "Every hopper needs a joey" policy.

Hell, if people want 4 hoppers, let them have them (and alot of people are more than happy to pay).

If you are more than happy to pay then there is nothing stopping you. The one Joey per Hopper rule is for subsidized new customers and upgrades. If you want to pay bust out retail for the boxes you are free to configure them within the limits of the technology.

But let's not forget that DirecTV is following Dish with a 3 tuner Genie. I really don't think the gloating of the soon to be discontinued 5 tuner unit (the economies, obviously, just don't work, and since DirecTV is a well run company, there are wisely going to follow Charlie's spreadsheet.) will last that long once people at DirecTV will have the same complaints as the Dish folks with a virtually identical system and the same number of tuners. Mike White isn't dumb enough to bet the future and a load of $$$ on a 5 tuner Power User only product. And Mike can collect the additional box fee just like Charlie if folks want 6 tuners. Now, that's how to run a company, for the shareholders, that is.

Where are you getting the info that D* is coming out with a 3-tuner Genie? A Google search showed only this comment that directly addresses that.

And if D* comes out with a 3-tuner Genie, that would be a big step backwards from a Hopper competitor since it wouldn't have PTAT, imo.

It's ridiculous that every hopper needs a joey. If people want to go with a 2 Hopper set up, one for each TV, then this means that they have to pay the extra amount for the 2 other joeys, even if they are not using them. That is BS.

Customers should be able to mix and match Hoppers and Joeys to SUIT their TV configurations. Dish needs to re-think this "Every hopper needs a joey" policy.
I think that policy will change once the monthly price for an extra Hopper is raised to $14 (or thereabouts). It's the only way to recover the higher investment costs of the Hopper.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts