311 Rusty Cable

Chavez

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 26, 2008
Milky Way
I have a 311 receiver that rusted out the coax for the satellite feed right at the connection port of the reciever. I have the receiver hooked up to a DPP 500. This has happend twice in about 6 months. Anyone have any ideas of what might cause this?

i would guess that there is an unsealed drip loop or a grounding block outside and water is migrating down the wire and into the house. since there is a voltage, water and 2 different metals you are getting corrosion.

Check the seals where the wire enters the house. All you need is a little silicone around the entry point. Drip loops, like mentioned above are a good idea too.

My guess would be if I'm using the correct term is ( Electrolysis), I had the same problem with two 311's. The first time I noticed this I thought someone had put a piece of cork in the rf connection on the of the receiver, what it was is the copper wire had like melted to a flat wafer. I unplugged the receiver than with a small pointed tool took the copper out,cut the wire back about an inch and put a new fitting on,this happened about every six months until I had a service call and he finally grounded the antenna wire. I think the two metals reacted and or moisture plus current.

It's been almost two years now and no problem. I hope!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)