32" LCD for bedroom

rustamust

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 11, 2006
colo springs co
Anyone out there have a suggestion for a 32" LCD for the bedroom. 720 should be fine as I'll feed it analog 4:3 via dish 622 TV2 out and OTA. Viewing distant is about 9' and it will be wall mounted. Replacing a 2 year old 20" CRT that both of us see just fine but we have 3 month new SAMSUNG LN52A650 in the family room and love the look of LCD.

Mike

I've been doing some comparing and contrasting and shoppng for a 32". THis is what I have come up with:

1. VO32L Vizio 499.99
2. KDL32M4000 Sony 599.99
3. TC-32LX85 Panasonic 599.99

I am leaning towards Vizio for price and the fact it will not be the primary television.

I've got a couple of the Vizios that I use for tailgating and rooms that I don't really care about. That being said if you are just backfeeding via coax the picture is going to look better on a regular tube tv than an HD tv. If you want to go for the Vizio check out Walmart as the Vw32L is only $397 if you can find one near you (there are two stores right down the road from me that both have them in stock according to the website).

Walmart.com: Vizio 32" Class LCD HDTV with Digital Tuner, VW32LHDTV40A: TVs

I was in the same boat as you about a year ago, and I took a chance on a special deal that K-Mart was offering. I bought a 32" Olevia (I think it's a 232S). It was $499, which a year ago was a great deal. I hooked it up to a Dish Network 622 receiver, and I swear I don't think I could get a better picture with anything else. I was really worried about the picture quality because I had never heard of Olevia at the time. But I was really blown away. Now granted, this TV only gets used about 3-4 hours per week. But I could not be happier. The standard def channels actually look pretty good as well. I think I have seen these TV's at Target also.

Just in case you wanted to, you could run HDMI from your 622 to the bedroom TV and Component to your main TV for same programming HD. I also have an Olevia 332 H it's TV other than crappy controls for making adjustments.

The Samsung 32 A450 would normally be an obvious choice as it has great PQ and can be had for around $600. Unfortunately, if you are planning on getting HD OTA or via the QAM tuner, you run in to the horrible Robot Audio distortion problem (basically audio pixilation). Just search "Robot Audio" on AVS or Cnet forums. Lot's of unhappy owners, myself included, who have been given no hope of a firmware fix from Samsung. Even a hardware fix on a warranty service from Samsung doesn't permanently fix the problem, as many have encountered. Last Samsung product I ever buy due to their horrible support.

Vizio is OK, but you will notice a better picture on a Panasonic, Sony or Samsung. Depends on how picky you are. The 720P is fine because you won't notice the resolution difference from that distance for 32"

The biggest thing is that the 4:3 pillerbox will drive you nuts, or the stretch mode will.. Then you end up with a second HD receiver in the bedroom. Then the sound isn't good enough. etc, etc. Eventually you have a 100" projector and $2k sound system hooked in around the bed, like dfergie :D

Seriously, make sure the mount has some tilt available. I mounted my 32" fairly high which makes it easier when lying down.

One last thing. After a year, I regret going 32". I really wish I had gone 42" 1080P.

First let me thank all who answered my post. After a lot of shopping B&M and internet I've decided on Samsung, either the 32450 or the 32330. I can live with the stretch on SD from my 622 and we have a up converting DVD player in bedroom. The 32450 can be had for about $550 and 32330 around $500. Will mount on a tilting wall mount which also helps with glare. When looking the Samsungs seem to be the best looking PQ of all brands and worth a little more to me.

MIKE

I am still looking at the Sammy 330 & 450 the 330 has less adjustments, but still puts out a decent pic. It will be on sale at Walmart on the 25 Jan for $498.00 the 450 best price in town is $650.00. Wife wants me to buy at B/M not on internet, so to keep peace B/M it is and the 330 on the 25 Jan.

Mike

I have a philps in the bedroom got it from costco (90 day return policy on tvs from costco).. I got it quite a few years back now.. before prices dropped by 2/3's.. but I love it.. they had software updates that were easy to install and fixed some glitches which was nice..

my 2 cents for what it's worth..

I am still looking at the Sammy 330 & 450 the 330 has less adjustments, but still puts out a decent pic. It will be on sale at Walmart on the 25 Jan for $498.00 the 450 best price in town is $650.00. Wife wants me to buy at B/M not on internet, so to keep peace B/M it is and the 330 on the 25 Jan.

Mike

If you have a Fry's in your area, check out their ads/prices. They advertise in my local paper every other day, and I've seen both the 330 and 450 for under $600. As long as 6 months ago, I was able to get Best Buy to match a 4th of July Fry's ad and get $100 knocked off the price of a recently purchased 32" 450.

Also, be very wary of these Samsung models if you plan on using their built-in OTA/QAM tuners as you may experience the dreaded Robot Audio problem. (There is no problem if you are running audio from a cable/sat receiver to an external AVR).

To check whether you got it if you buy one: after you've set up your TV, scanned for channels and started using it, disconnect it from its power source momentarily, turn it back on, tune to an HD channel (OTA or QAM) and leave that same channel on for at least an hour. If you get a distortion in the audio without an accompanying distortion in the picture, then robots have invaded your set.

But don't rely on Samsung to fix it. There is no permanent fix, though replacing the circuit board on a warranty service or doing a factory reset yourself (hold down escape key on remote for 10 secs) will resolve the problem until the next time it is disconnected from its power. I recommend instead, and as a favor to us owners who are stuck with this problem, calling Samsung, telling them you have the robot audio problem and that you are returning the set within your 30-day return window for another brand of TV. If I had to do it all over again, I would've gotten a Sony. :p

Wife surprised me and came home from Walmart with a Sanyo 32" for $447.00. I worked with it for a few days and could never get the PQ good, not sharp and bad color so I returned it. Picked up a Samsung 32450 last week and am extremely happy with it. Best Buy had it for $599.00, a ton of adjustments and quality is twice the Sanyo for only $150.00 more. We love it and would recommend it 100%

Congrats on the purchase. One more suggestion: I recommed plugging it in to a surge protector with battery back-up if temporary power outages are common in your home/neighborhood as the best means for guarding against robot audio. I wish I had done that months ago when I first started having the problem (I often flip the circuit breaker on that wall when I make toast while my clothes dryer or space heater is running ;))

We have only had 2 power outages in the past year and when I rewired house in 07 ran a dedicated line to TV location in bedroom as well as living room. 95% of viewing will be HD from my VIP 211 via HDMI (still works) with OTA. 5% or less will be analog channel 60 from my VIP 622 in living room. I don't think wife would go for a battery back up sitting on floor in sight. TV is wall mounted over her dresser. I may work on putting one in my closet and running new lines in basement.
We love the TV right out of the box and have only lowered the backlight down to 3 on standard, the rest untouched.

Mike

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)