32 Receivers on New Install

Status
Please reply by conversation.

avinstall

Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
USA
Looking around for best solution for 32 receivers on a new install for DirecTV. I see the SWM-32 Multiswitch which can do 32 receivers but is there a cheaper way? I see they killed off the WB616 otherwise I would have done that way. Thanks.

must be either a commercial or multi-unit dwelling setup since he mentions a 32 output multiswitch :)

must be either a commercial or multi-unit dwelling setup since he mentions a 32 output multiswitch :)
I was wondering if this was some sort of head end or a scenario where DECA might be of interest.

In the end, it would probably come down to a pair of SWM16s either way.

god I hope not; how archaic and ugly

2 dishes; how archaic and ugly, how awful, gag me with a spoon..... :rolleyes:

I don't think he meant 32 dishes on the roof.

One dish on the roof at one end of the place, one dish at the other end of the roof. It's probably not being installed in a 2 bedroom rambler house or a trailer house, probably a pretty big building. No one will probably really notice 2 dishes.

sorry you didnt like my reply but if its my place and i'm paying them i want it dont right, no shortcuts or cheap ways just because it may be easier. i want it right. period and again if its my place; i am gonna check the install and i will notice.

Honestly, 1 dish or 2. Both can be descretely placed to support 16 receivers. Also assuming, you don't have dvrs. Then you'll have to account for the total tuners. 2 dishes is definately cheaper than anything Directv could build off 1. Just my opinion

Ok, guys let's not bicker over people's choices.

I was wondering if this was some sort of head end or a scenario where DECA might be of interest.

I dont think I'd recommend a single shared DECA environment for 32 receivers to share. If they ran MRV they'd probably get to about 8-10 sessions tops and it'd start stuttering all over the place.

This is a case where (if they want to do MRV) a really big single switch or a handful of gigabit ethernet switches and the 'unsupported' method would work far, far better.

I have seen a commercial setup in a hotel electrical room that have 40+ receivers mounted in racks with cables connected to switches and amplifiers. Each receiver is labeled with the channel it is on, CNN, Cartoon Network, MTV, etc. The hotels tv's have CNN on channel a, Cartoon Network on channel b, MTV on channel c, and so on. All the receivers were sd. I did not see the dish(s) the receivers were connected to. The local and sub-channels were ota. This is a new type of diy (don't install yourself). This is a set up where a highly trained install tech is required.

Having 2(or 3 if needed for DVR)antenna's with SWM 16 would be the easiest,cheapest most practical way to achieve a 32 reciever set up.
Also think about locating the dishes on each side and one in middle,how much that will shorten cable runs.
Having 48 ports ensures enough to accomodate all needs(DVR,etc)and leaves room for future expansion if needed.

Status
Please reply by conversation.