3abn/Geosat Pro 90 cm dish Owners...SOUND OFF!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
The Azimuth opened up some. The elevation is still about the same, I found that because the Mercury II's signal meter is so spastic I was having a hard time zeroing it in. Once I hooked my Coolsat 5000 to it, it was real easy to zero in just so. So far I am happy with it. :up

Stogie,
Do you have the latest Merc firmware in your box ? One of the fixes was to help out the signal meter problem. That being said, I've never seen a better signal meter than the one on my BUZZ plus box. It's like an oscilloscope and very nice for tuning. Too bad we can't take the best features of all boxes and combine them into one.

:)

Brent

I've got a T90 that took a fall last fall during a hurricane. I've suspected it may be bent but seems to work fine.

Where it isn't round should I still be able to lay the main reflector down and have it touch the flat surface all the way around like a regular reflector?

The Azimuth opened up some. The elevation is still about the same, I found that because the Mercury II's signal meter is so spastic I was having a hard time zeroing it in. Once I hooked my Coolsat 5000 to it, it was real easy to zero in just so. So far I am happy with it. :up
With the Glorystar dual LNB mount we are looking at a 4º spread on the azimuth. Would you care to estimate the usable azimuth range of this dish? I am still planning to go with an elliptical for the sats I will attempt to pull in, but am curious...

With the Glorystar dual LNB mount we are looking at a 4º spread on the azimuth. Would you care to estimate the usable azimuth range of this dish? I am still planning to go with an elliptical for the sats I will attempt to pull in, but am curious...

I HAVE the Glorystar dual mount ( it was included with the system), so I could tell you for sure, but I'd guess that it has plenty of width for that. I wouldn't go hang six LNBS across it, I don't think its wide enough for that, but I think the dual should be doable, no problem. :cool:

Stogie,
Do you have the latest Merc firmware in your box ? One of the fixes was to help out the signal meter problem. That being said, I've never seen a better signal meter than the one on my BUZZ plus box. It's like an oscilloscope and very nice for tuning. Too bad we can't take the best features of all boxes and combine them into one.

:)

Brent

Yes, I have the latest firmware off the Fortec site.:up

The meter bounces all over...50 to 40 to 55 to 39 to 45 to 60 to 40....drove me insane trying to peak the dish...:D
But the picture is stable, and if I hook the coolsat to it its rock solid on about 90 quality on an average TP. :)

The 4 degree rotating skew dual bracket has two LNBFs offset on either side of center. The narrow beam width of the dish provides higher performance than a dish with a wider beam width. The dish is rated 1.8 degrees with -3db attenuation. The tighter beam helps reject nearby satellites such as G16 which is centered 2 degrees between the Glorystar programming satellite Galaxy25 (97W) and AMC4 (101W).

Don't confuse the beam width performance on a single satellite / single LNBF with the performance of a dish set-up for multiple satellites and LNBFS. A tighter beam width increases performance on multiple LNBF set-ups within 15 - 20 degree spacing. If you are covering a larger slice of orbital slots (40 degrees), then a toroidal design dish will provide consistent averaged performance over the wide spacing.

BTW.... Fortec Star Mercury II meter samples, displays at a higher rate and does not average the BER like Coolsats. It maybe be easier to use a dampened reading to rough in the install, but Mercury II meters will provide a much more accurate aim. Fluctuations on the Signal Quality reading could indicate a non-optimized, undersized dish for the desired TP or incorrect LNBF skew and the BER cannot stabilize. If a proper size reflector, dish aiming and skew are set, the Mercury II Signal Quality reading will stabilize.

Last edited:
Don't confuse the beam width performance on a single satellite / single LNBF with the performance of a dish set-up for multiple satellites and LNBFS. A tighter beam width increases performance on multiple LNBF set-ups within 15 - 20 degree spacing. If you are covering a larger slice of orbital slots (40 degrees), then a toroidal design dish will provide consistent averaged performance over the wide spacing.
Interesting. I have been approaching this all wrong, apparently. When planning for a multi-lnb setup I have been thinking of the reflector as providing a "field of view" for the LNBFs, where the width and curvature along the horizontal axis of the dish are the primary determinants in what can be potentially received. I know this does not account for spacing of satellites, but I haven't fully gotten a grasp of that yet.

So here's what I am pondering. I have Dish Network service down here is deep south Texas and cannot get a good lock on 129W (which carries my RSN and several HD channels). To date that has not been a real big issue as I have been able to get most of that programming off my Sky Angel dish at 61.5W. With Sky Angel about to go dark I am planning on moving to Glorystar and won't really need a dish at 61.5W. With that in mind, I intend to jump into FTA with both feet and do a little experimentation along these lines:
1) Convert to 110/119/129 on a FTA dish.
2) Attempt to shift LNBFs so that the center "focal point" is 110 rather than 119. This may or may not work since the weak link is 129 and this would put 129 further towards the edge of the dish. Assuming I can get acceptable signal levels...
3) Attempt to add linear LNBFs for FTA service. While I doubt it will be successful, I would like to attempt 97/101 and 110/119/129 on one dish. It will be fun and educational plus I should get a good grasp of just what the dish (whatever I use) can do.
More likely, I will end up with a dual dish setup and add LNBFs as able with one dish peaked for 97/101 and the other peaked for 110/119/129. Maybe someday I will drop my subscription service, but just can't part with some of the channels! :)

With my "field of view" approach, I have been looking at the P* elliptical dishes. I would love to hear comments on where my understanding is faulty, etc.

For various reasons (one of which is spelled XYL) I am trying to limit my dish farm to two dishes, at or below the 1 meter threshold. For now I am not terribly interested in a motorized setup, but who knows how that will change once I get a taste of FTA. :D

I really appreciate everyone's patience and kindness in helping me through the learning curve. I especially want to thank Brian. I know you aren't interested in using these forums as a sales tool, but I have to say that both of the users from SatelliteAV have really impressed me and earned my business. THANKS!

I forgot to mention... The Eastern Arc chatter has really got me wondering if I should just focus on FTA/Glorystar for the big dish and wait for Eastern Arc for Dish Network as it will probably make 129 irrelevant for me. *sigh*

It would/will still be a fun experiment, though!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)