The Raw Nerve
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jun 5, 2004
Park Slope, NYC
http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=4798

Nintendo Promises Four Million Wiis
The Big N plans to actually supply the demand

With all the warnings of shortages for Sony's new console, Nintendo is sits on the other side by announcing that it will have approximately four million Wii systems available globally during the six weeks between Wii's November 19 launch in the Americas and the end of 2006.

Even with the impressive lot of consoles, Nintendo is expecting sell-outs and plans to maximize all its resources to rapidly replenish retailers' shelves as often as possible.

"Wii is for both experienced and uninitiated gamers, and it will be available for the masses," says Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime. "Because of demand, we're urging shoppers not to get complacent. The level of demand we're seeing goes beyond the ordinary. Retailers are telling us a significant fraction of customers pre-ordering Wii are nontraditional gamers -- people looking for a better way to play. And that's exactly what Wii is designed to provide."

Nintendo cites several sources for its extreme optimism in Wii sales, one being a new study by the Consumer Electronics Association which estimates a 27 percent spending increase this holiday season on electronic goods.

Wii goes on sale in the Americas November 19 at an MSRP of $249.99 (CDN$279.99), and comes packed with Wii Sports. A total of 62 new and classic games will be available for Wii during the five weeks after launch. The American launch is followed by the December 2 Japanese launch and the December 8 European launch.

If that number is to be believed how come Toys-R-US would only allow 15 presells per store? It is not that I don't believe Nintendo, they have delivered many times in the past but only 15 presells per store? And no waiting list either! Something is not right -- either Nintendo is throwing out big numbers or Toys-R-US must have been reading crates instead of units per store. Since the Wii is not high tech nor is it HD quality I can believe they can make 4 mill in two months -- sure why not?

If that number is to be believed how come Toys-R-US would only allow 15 presells per store? It is not that I don't believe Nintendo, they have delivered many times in the past but only 15 presells per store? And no waiting list either! Something is not right -- either Nintendo is throwing out big numbers or Toys-R-US must have been reading crates instead of units per store. Since the Wii is not high tech nor is it HD quality I can believe they can make 4 mill in two months -- sure why not?

Toys R Us and other vendors, probably don't want to take the risks of upsetting their customers during the most critical time of the shopping season.

By not taking the Pre-Orders, they
1) Don't set un-realistic expectations
2) They get customers into the store to "check" to see if they are available
3) They can then also promote... we have 100 available on Sunday... ect...

Even though the Wii might not be HD... I wouldn't necessarily call it "Not High Tech"... I mean from a technology point of view compared to the other two... sure, it is an Atari 2600.... but compared to the GameCube it is an advancement in technology.

To me I don't need HD for video games.

If I want to play something because of the graphics I'll get the PC version.

I'm getting the Wii because it's the least expensive, it's simple, and my wife is looking forward to it as well. She never got excited about my Xbox....

I agree with Earl.

No one wants to be burned and have pissed off customers, like what happened with the 360.

Call it the Scotty rule.....

If the captain thinks it will take six hours to fix the warp drive and it takes two, you're a hero.... If that gets reversed, you're underperforming....

Better to underpromise to try and manage demand.

Of course the downside is that many may give up, assuming a shortage and go with the 360 which is in ample quantities....

Plus, if Nintendo IS on top of their game, and the local Best Buy has a palette of them, they could blow both Sony and Microsoft away this season, from a units sold standpoint....

Hey, anybody here with a 360 and a HDTV can tell you that the clarity and colour displayed by a XBOX360 on a HDTV makes it worth the money. And yes, with enough money you can get better graphics on the PC. Still HD gaming is better just like HDTV viewing is better.

My question is if Nintendo is delivering 6 million units in 6 weeks you trying to tell me that limiting the Wii to 15 presells and telling those that do not get a presell that is all they might get is a way of not turning away the customer? How about the Gamestop/Ebay way. "We are not preselling because we are going to have so many we do not anticipate running out."

If they are going to have paletes they could have presold everyone in line at the Toys-R-Us I was at. There were about 30 people in line for a Wii presell. You trying to tell me they were trying to save those 15 customers who wanted a Wii? Ones I spoke to will be going to Gamestop/EB for their Wiis. I don't see that as good business especially if Nintendo is really delivering 6 million units in 6 weeks.

Hey, anybody here with a 360 and a HDTV can tell you that the clarity and colour displayed by a XBOX360 on a HDTV makes it worth the money. And yes, with enough money you can get better graphics on the PC. Still HD gaming is better just like HDTV viewing is better.

My question is if Nintendo is delivering 6 million units in 6 weeks you trying to tell me that limiting the Wii to 15 presells and telling those that do not get a presell that is all they might get is a way of not turning away the customer? How about the Gamestop/Ebay way. "We are not preselling because we are going to have so many we do not anticipate running out."

If they are going to have paletes they could have presold everyone in line at the Toys-R-Us I was at. There were about 30 people in line for a Wii presell. You trying to tell me they were trying to save those 15 customers who wanted a Wii? Ones I spoke to will be going to Gamestop/EB for their Wiis. I don't see that as good business especially if Nintendo is really delivering 6 million units in 6 weeks.

NO!! what is NOT good business is preselling something and not being able to deliver becuase of receiving unknown quantities on unknown dates. (*cough* 360 *cough*). I though you would have learned that by now. Just because they say they are shipping that many doesn't necessarily mean its true... Look at the latest Sony cut with the PS3 in Japan, and now there are rumors that Sony wants to sell rainchecks as presales. The amount they are shipping good to investors but "things" happen where they can't deliver. So I am in full agreement with Toys r Us in limiting presales.

Gamestop has announced that the presale bundle sales will hit Thursday Night, 11/9 (last year, the links when live around 7pm).

$699. Let the gouging begin....

Of course, if Nintendo finds a way to flood the market with plenty of units, those prices will collapse quickly...

I'll just wait until 11/19 or 11/20 and pick one up from Wal-Mart.

This is provided they get enough units, but they should. Our local one here has been advertising it in the store for the past week.

Man, I should sell my preorder...

Thats what i'm thinking about doing myself......I can wait a few months until the hype dies down on the PS3.....I plan on standing outside the store and basically hanging out till someone comes aling wanting the PS3 ..then i'll step in and offer them mine!!!I sthis morally right?probley not but its the American way!+++++he'll get his PS3.....Im #4 on the pre-order list and am guaranteed a PS3 on the 1st shipment to FYE!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)