OTHER 4.2.2 Receiver??

bpalone

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 1, 2014
44N 105W
Does anyone have one of these: ZGemma H7 UHD

I see in the specs this: 4.2.2 / MPEG 4 / H.265 processing

My question is, does it truly do the new CBS Format? Don't really want to be the guinea pig on this, so thought I would ask.

Thanks, in advance.

Does anyone have one of these: ZGemma H7 UHD

I see in the specs this: 4.2.2 / MPEG 4 / H.265 processing

My question is, does it truly do the new CBS Format? Don't really want to be the guinea pig on this, so thought I would ask.

Thanks, in advance.

It's not a new format. CBS has been using 4:2:2 for years. I don't know anything about the ZGemma H7 UHD but I've noticed that it's quite pricey

Yes they went to MPEG4, 4.2.2. I have since found that it might not do it, as was stated that there was a licensing issue. Also heard/saw that they are supposedly encrypting the prime time stuff. If that is the case, then not much desire.

Mind you I'm still searching for viable solutions to my satellite system, so am still reading and learning what others have tried.
My C-band friend has shown me on his system how he streams from his Ferguson Ariva 4K to a PC to watch 4.2.2 and other forums post how to do this, but if there is that much involved then perhaps a PC tuner card is more expedient. Not to knock the picture quality on his Ferguson/Vizio setup - it's fantastic!
Not to dissuade the topic starter, but have seen that Zgemma on Alibaba, which may or may not be a good source(?)

I contacted Tek about the Zgemma as I'm interested myself. This is in part what he had to say about it;

Hi *****,

The chipset for the ZGemma H7 does indeed support 4:2:2 on MPEG4, however,
the developers have to release a plugin for it. We've seen one plugin that
can decode 4:2:2, but it was full of bugs. We are still pushing the
overseas developers to release a properly working fix.

Our multi-axis tracker will be released to the public in early 2018!

-Tek2000

So the chipset can handled 4:2:2 but they had problems with the first plugin so they're working on it. As I understand it only the U.S.
uses 4:2:2 so it can be difficult for the Chinese developers to tweak something for the U.S. market. So it's a work in progress. For the
time being my Icecrypt STB can stream over the network to my desktop and I can play 4:2:2 back through the VLC plugin and display
it on the desktop. But I'd rather have the capability in the box itself so I can use the large screen TV.

Reactions: bpalone and Cham
Was going to send an email, you already have the answer... That 4.2.2 is a real hangup for STB manufacturers, yet a desirable capability here in NA.

Yeah, and that is probably why it's popular with the uplinkers as they know it's hard for people to watch. Poor man's encryption. LOL I do have a Genpix Skywalker USB receiver that I haven't used in several years and that can be used with a PC as well and can handle 4:2:2. Problem for me is I went to an iMac a few years ago and I'm not aware of a USB satellite receiver that cooperates with the OS/X operating system and a piece of software to use it with.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts