(4) HD DVR (HR24) continuously resets when no signal from dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

allen13331

Original poster
Apr 16, 2013
Portland Oregon
My dad and I have Directv HD DVRs installed in our motor homes. Normally when traveling you encounter a time when you just can't get a signal or have to put the dish down due to poor weather. Up until a few months ago you could still watch prerecorded programs on the DVR when the dish did not have a signal. Now the DVRs keep resetting about every 10 minutes making it impossible to watch a program. There are lots of Rvers that use Directv but Directv does not seem to be getting the message. First level tech support seems to be keeping the information at their level and not sending it up the chain. I have duplicated this problem on four DVRs so I know it is not a DVR issue. I went into extreme detail with tech support explaining the issue however when I called back and asked to have the notes taken by the previous tech read back to me all it said was "DVR resets every 10 minutes". My dad called in yesterday and spent two hours with tech support on the same issue however when I asked if anyone else had reported a problem they said they checked the reported bugs and no one had called in with a similar problem. How do we get this issue resolved and how the (&%$&( do you get information passed on to someone that can resolve the issue?

you could try sending an email to oop. but im not sure how directv officially feels about dishes that are not professionally installed. i realize the issue is hardware vs software and not signal related, but ya never know what tech supports gonna do for ya. I personally never tried to boot a box not connected to signal to watch stuff so Im not sure on the current procedures. Sorry I couldnt be more help.

My dad and I have Directv HD DVRs installed in our motor homes. Normally when traveling you encounter a time when you just can't get a signal or have to put the dish down due to poor weather. Up until a few months ago you could still watch prerecorded programs on the DVR when the dish did not have a signal. Now the DVRs keep resetting about every 10 minutes making it impossible to watch a program. There are lots of Rvers that use Directv but Directv does not seem to be getting the message. First level tech support seems to be keeping the information at their level and not sending it up the chain. I have duplicated this problem on four DVRs so I know it is not a DVR issue. I went into extreme detail with tech support explaining the issue however when I called back and asked to have the notes taken by the previous tech read back to me all it said was "DVR resets every 10 minutes". My dad called in yesterday and spent two hours with tech support on the same issue however when I asked if anyone else had reported a problem they said they checked the reported bugs and no one had called in with a similar problem. How do we get this issue resolved and how the (&%$&( do you get information passed on to someone that can resolve the issue?

:welcome to Satelliteguys!

I don't know if the software has changed recently, but if a dvr looses connection with the satellite, it will not work to play back recorded shows. It's been that way for quite a while. As far as the rebooting, it's probably trying to find signal. The answer seems to be to get the dvr connected back with the satellite before it starts rebooting. Can you do that? You might want to try sending an email here: ellen.filipiak@directv.com. That's the office of the president. They are very good at resolving unusual situations. Let them know that the information you are giving to the csrs isn't being properly recorded. Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.

Being as the literal problem is trying to utilize the dvr when it does not have signal, or is not capable of receiving signal do to LOS (in a RV environment), this is a software limitation on the box itself. Im not sure how it can be corrected, but as both raoul and I have stated emailing OOP is probably your best bet.

I have the exact same problem. It seemed to start about a couple of months ago. I think DirecTV changed their microcode and downloaded it to all DVR's to make this happen on purpose. I think it's to keep people from watching their recordings (on a DVR) if they quit paying DirecTV for service. DirecTV didnt realize some of us in motorhomes cannot always receive satellite signals, or just dont want to put up and aim the dish every night.
Tech support doesnt seem to understand the problem. Has anyone found a solution?

I've had that issue when we lost signal because of snow on the dish.....can watch programs but 10 minutes later it reboots

I have the exact same problem. It seemed to start about a couple of months ago. I think DirecTV changed their microcode and downloaded it to all DVR's to make this happen on purpose. I think it's to keep people from watching their recordings (on a DVR) if they quit paying DirecTV for service. DirecTV didnt realize some of us in motorhomes cannot always receive satellite signals, or just dont want to put up and aim the dish every night.
Tech support doesnt seem to understand the problem. Has anyone found a solution?

:welcome to Satelliteguys!

That's as likely a reason as any. Aside keeping the signal, I haven't heard of a work around. Some say disconnecting the cable first will keep access to your recordings for a few days, but there are differing reports.

Just FYI DirecTV is looking into this. I think it is probably an unintended side-effect of a software change but we'll see.

How long is it suppose to take for this to happen (reboots) ?

Your saying if I walk over and disconnect my Sat In the recvr will automatically reboot ?

I haven't paid that much attention, but the 24 in the Motor home doesn't always have a signal, no need for me to keep it connected unless I'm ready to use it.

How long is it suppose to take for this to happen (reboots) ?

Your saying if I walk over and disconnect my Sat In the recvr will automatically reboot ?

I haven't paid that much attention, but the 24 in the Motor home doesn't always have a signal, no need for me to keep it connected unless I'm ready to use it.

I could have swore the trick was to not unplug the power and the DVR functions would still work.

That is pretty terrible, and has more impact than just RVers. Think of anyone who's dish gets mal aligned by weather, etc. If they have to wait a few days or a week for a service call, and they can't even watch recorded or on demand content... No way that's a good idea (or intentional? ) on DirecTVs part.

The "feature" only takes effect once the receiver looses power. You can unplug the sat feed and still watch recordings. If you unplug the power cord too, the receiver will reboot every, I see six minutes, until sat signal is restored. Some RV'ers are using inverters and UPS's to assure their boxes area always powered up to keep the "feature" from activating. There is some word that the "feature" will be fixed in August which is awful but better than nothing.

not unless you either unplug it from the power or do a RBR. If it loses signal it wont do anything. When they were working on the switch setup in the basement my HR34 had no sat signal for 1/2 hour or so...it just sat on "switch error 775"

Think of anyone who's dish gets mal aligned by weather, etc. If they have to wait a few days or a week for a service call, and they can't even watch recorded or on demand content... No way that's a good idea (or intentional? ) on DirecTVs part.

exactly. Once of our storms I lost everything but channels on the D9 sat. I did a RBR and couldnt get the guide and when I watched DVR stuff every 10 minutes it rebooted

Status
Please reply by conversation.