4-Unit Multi-Family / Multi-Sat & Cable Installation

DevilDog

Original poster
Jan 15, 2016
Tennessee
I own a small 4-unit studio apartment building which I am remodeling. Each rental unit is approximately 450 square ft. and will be pre-wired with a single coax cable. I would like to give my tenants the option of subscribing to either Dish Network, DirecTV or Cable. I have already installed 2 CommDeck dish mounts on the roof, one for use with Dish and the other for use with DirecTV. I intend to run all the coax cables from the satellite locations and the individual rental units back to a central location such as a NEMA enclosure on the exterior of the building in order to avoid having many dishes and cables running all over the building.

The Cable TV is simple, as the provider usually just brings a single coax to the building and then splits it 4 ways. It's been a while since I subscribed to satellite, but I recall my last Dish Network had 4 coax cables coming from the LNB, each one connected to a receiver. In that case all receivers were on the same account. However in the case of my rental property, each tenant who wanted to subscribe would have his own receiver on his own account. I assume the same would go for DirecTV.

I've seen some discussion about whether or not the satellite carriers would support this type of installation with regard to who would be responsible for service calls, etc., and I understand the pros/cons. I have also seen DirecTV's multi-family options for large apartment buildings which is beyond the scope of what I need.

Spaun makes an 8-way multi-switch DMK5582F which seems like it might simplify the installation and allow for a single coax from each satellite or cable provider and then distribute the individual signals to each of the 4 rental units but I'd like to get some advise from anyone else who has attempted this type of thing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)