40" HDTV deal good or bad?

aliaga61

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2004
Cincinnati, OH
:confused:
If I've done my research correctly, the 40" HDTV that Dish is offering for $999 is the same as the D40W20 RCA tv, just with Dish's name on it and a little different remote. I've read mixed reviews about whether or not it is a good tv since RCA isn't known as the most reliable equipment. I've had, and know others who have also had, RCA tv's that they've had no problems with. I think the old PROSCAN tv's were made by RCA also? I know my mother had one for years and had no problems with it. Is this a tv to stay away from? looking around it looks like you can't get it from a trusted store for less than 1200-1300 so price-wise it seems like a good deal. I'm just leary about getting tv and once the one year warranty is up, having something go wrong with it and having to pay out the butt to get it fixed. any advice would help (unbiased preferably).

Personally, if I had a $1000 budget, I'd buy a decent 34" direct view model for that price, and go with Dish's DHA plan (free, leased receivers), which has no commitment. That way, if you're unhappy with Dish, you can always switch to DirecTV or Cable with no termination fee.

i'm assuming you're referring to the hd reciever from dish? are they still having trouble with them?

is the tv itself bad? has anyone dealt with one or known someone who has?

aliaga61 said:
i'm assuming you're referring to the hd reciever from dish? are they still having trouble with them?

The TV is not the one you picked out it is cheaper model still. I believe the only remote it comes with is the 811 remote. This qoute comes to mind "A fool and his money are soon parted". :D :D :D

I've never liked the PQ on the RCA sets. Hitatchi and Sony are far better IMHO. A direct view set would be better in that price range. However, It really depends on your veiwing distance. If it is 10 or less feet then a 34" direct view would give you the best experience.

Something else to consider is the ungly dish logo on the front of their packaged sets :p

I paid $899 for my 30" tube Sony Wega widescreen HDTV. It has the HDMI port on the back so it's futureproof for now. PQ is MUCH better than the RCA. We had rented a 52" RCA model D52W20 and it sucked even on HD. Also, the RCA will not do 720p.

Go with a tube if you're staying under $1000.

aliaga61 said:

Yes I am talking about the 811 and YES they are still having problems with them . Including picture quality on sd outputs and on hd outputs , and locking in on ota channels, etc, etc, etc. :shocked

thanks for the advice guys...appreciate it. my other consideration is the toshiba 46" projection tv at sears...i've heard good things about toshiba...any objections?

aliaga61 said:
thanks for the advice guys...appreciate it. my other consideration is the toshiba 46" projection tv at sears...i've heard good things about toshiba...any objections?
I own 2 Toshibas 1 SD 1 HD no major complaints, much better choice than DISH(RCA).
:)

It's seems odd, the only problem I've had with my 811 is every once in a while the audio works but the video is a slide show. To fix it all I have to do is change channels. Seems to only happen every couple of weeks. People complain about this receiver nonstop. I guess I've been lucky.

btw Dish also offers a Direct view set with that $999 package. I don't know anything about it though.

I have a 2 Toshiba tvs; 57 inch hd tv and a 20 sd tv . Picture quality is wonderful on both and I used my Dish receiver to test the hd tv out before I bought it. The one at Sears had a dish hd 6000 receiver hooked up by component and Dish looked great on both sd and hd channels. On my hd tv I use the movie mode and it gives me a great picture on both sd and hd channels. I highly recommend the Toshiba. If you intend on getting a hd receiver from Dish or Directv then I wouldn't bother with a hd tv with a built in tuner. I have one with 2 tuners and it added like 800.00 to the price of the same hd tv without. I now have a 921 with a tuner and a LG dvd player /hd tuner box. I have plenty of tuners but I only watch the one on my 921 consistently via my dvi connection. :D

GaryPen said:
Personally, if I had a $1000 budget, I'd buy a decent 34" direct view model for that price, and go with Dish's DHA plan (free, leased receivers), which has no commitment. That way, if you're unhappy with Dish, you can always switch to DirecTV or Cable with no termination fee.

Where are you finding 34" direct view HDTV's for around $1,000.00 US? I see 30 and 32" models in this price range, but haven't found anything from a quality manufacturer in a 34" model yet.

Circuit City had a previous Sony 34" model open box for $1269. I was told that brand new in the box those were over $1600.

I've seen the Panasonic CT-34WX54 for around a grand, as well as Philips, Samsung, and LG/Zenith. Granted, none of them are Sony, but even the new Sony 30" direct-view is like $900.
But, if someone is putting together a home theater, and has the space, I still recommend a front projector. Biggest bang for the buck. (I use both a 30" direct-view, and 100" FP.