40" X 43" Dish question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

scopx

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 6, 2008
I have this old primestar reflector, but thought they were a different size and round It also is an offset with a Lnb throat of about 1 and 1/2 inch, a plastic collar that ties all 3 supports together. Is this a commercial dish or what is called a 1 meter dish here? Will the new Techsat Tracker 11 "red" standard lnb hookup? My primary purpose is data feed and prob will leave stationary.
Thanks
Tom

Sorry Scoot, I posted in wrong section! could you move it to FTA?
Thanks
Tom

looks like it was moved to FTA section :)

The LNB should work fine. I don't have a P* dish that has the feed arms on it (sadly).

The LNB should work. I know of people who have used any LNB to make it work.

Thanks Iceberg,
Have been following your writings here with interest as you always have cool detached perspective without any bias and explain your statements with great clarity.
Now is the durn SS2 would ever get here from Europe.
Tom

Heck we always love to try weird things. No project is too weird. If you have a dish & LNB we can usually find a way to make it work :)

I have 2 of the oblong Primestar dishes (40x30) and those don't have the arms on them. Kinda with they did

The LNB should work fine. I don't have a P* dish that has the feed arms on it (sadly).

have 2 of the oblong Primestar dishes (40x30) and those don't have the arms on them. Kinda with they did
with the dish # on the back I can get a measurment from the ones i have there are several different lengths

i have several that have the old style lnb's that i switched out for the directpc style lnb's ( i kept the feedhorn) had several new lnbfs on the dish and got real good signals but i don't think they were the best the lnbf could do. one thing i suspected was the feedhorn for the dish is matched to it so if you wanted the best signal you would have to try a lnb that would accept the feedhorn matched to the dish some thing like the QPF series. but it was probably on a couple of % points so i don't know if the cost difference would justify it.

Yea, but for the 1m round Primestar, I think the stock horn is lookin' for a round dish, just like any common LNB.
Stand in front of the dish, remove the LNB, and look at the dish through the LNB holder hole (if it's got one), or over the mount screws.
Your view of the dish, from that perspective, should be that the dish is round.

I ran around for the longest time thinking every Primestar dish, if it was to be retrofitted with a new LNB, must keep the stock Primestar-supplied feed horn.
That's only true with the oblong dishes (and you can see by looking through the LNB holder that they are).
So, now I'd love to find one of those big round Primestars like the OP has.
Hey, a lizard's gotta dream! - :up
And instead of worrying about the high price of a QPF-031, I'd probably equip it witih a QPH-031 for half the price.

QPF-031 = flanged; use your own horn
QPH-031 = has horn built-in

That 43 x 40" Primestar is a 1 meter Channel Master, exactly like the one I have fixed on G-10R (although my dish was not sold through Primestar, so does not have the Primestar logo). It is a great dish, only thing I wish I could do is skew the entire dish instead of the LNB.

I am using a C-120-flanged stacked LNB from a Superdish on it :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)