4dtv 920 vs 922

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

indyscott

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 22, 2005
Indianapolis, IN
I currently own a used 920 system for 4dtv, what advantages would I have in upgrading to a 922? Would I have any trade in value on a 920?

Apparently...

indyscott said:
I currently own a used 920 system for 4dtv, what advantages would I have in upgrading to a 922? Would I have any trade in value on a 920?

You will get a better explanation I am sure but I have both units...

1) battery is probably getting ready to fail unless it has been replaced (see the Faq plz)I changed my 920's battery out when I got my 922 upgrade. Now is a hot spare! Been into 4DTV since its introduction too!:)
2) more sensitive receiver + a few more channels
3) AC3 out
4) slightly better menuing...but the guide runs about 20 minutes late and lands above the channel you are on (no biggie) apparently due to some patent infringement that is long since expired. (someone's else here told me about that one when I asked! ....great folks here!

5)If you have the old 920 remote, the new one is better!

I kept my 920 since used ones on Ebay were running about $100-150....wanted the spare since it NOW has a new Battery (dec 2005)

I am sure there is more and the "smart" ones will assist!:D

regards
Jeff

Other than what the gizzer has said, you would be able to watch a few more channels. Such as Showtime's 125,126,127 east feed, I think. And maybe a few others.

Al

voomvoom said:
Other than what the gizzer has said, you would be able to watch a few more channels. Such as Showtime's 125,126,127 east feed, I think. And maybe a few others.

Al

I think the Primetime network feeds, if you qualify, also need a 922 and the 922 may have a few more timers.

Yep...forgot about the timers!

iammike said:
I think the Primetime network feeds, if you qualify, also need a 922 and the 922 may have a few more timers.

Forgot about the timers since I have never used them on either the 920 or 922! NICE PICKUP!

In order to turn my setup on...you need the harmony remote macros anyway:D ...922 HAS A BUNCH MORE TIMERS THAN THE 920

Regards
jeff

indyscott said:

Click 922 on the left and take a look:
http://www.bigdish.info/

I like the 922 more than the 920, I never owned a 920 but used them at my buddy's places, if you want 5.1 then it's a no brainer to upgrade, if you can change the battery on the 920 and try to sell it for $150 on ebay then you can put that money on the new 922 from NPS or Skyvision.

Battery Change on 920

tdti1 said:
Click 922 on the left and take a look:
http://www.bigdish.info/

I like the 922 more than the 920, I never owned a 920 but used them at my buddy's places, if you want 5.1 then it's a no brainer to upgrade, if you can change the battery on the 920 and try to sell it for $150 on ebay then you can put that money on the new 922 from NPS or Skyvision.

As an FYI...there is a section in the Faq about replacing your 920 Battery...depends on your soldering and basic PCB skills for the most part. (low voltage soldering stations take longer but are easier on the board!!

Biggest problem for me was that VCII cage sitting on top of the battery area...(Torx #20 if I remember... and that is also needed just to get the cover off).. Add a solder sucker or wick, Low wattage Iron/station, and new 3.6 V battery and off you go.

CAUTION...LITHIUM CAN BE DANGEROUS AND YOU MUST WEAR GOGGLES ETC (AGAIN SEE THE FAQ)When it is old , it can be stressed easily and possibility of explosion exists! I did mine with the set plugged in but there are other ways (see the FAQ about replacing the Battery on a VCII.

CAUTION AGAIN If you are not experienced...do not try it with the set plugged in since you might hit a higher voltage area or short something out!:up

If you are not comfortable..take it to a tech...this is not difficult if you are careful! Lithium is supposed to last up to ten years...920's are way past that! Mine was 13 yrs old when I did the batterectemy...still measured 3.6 Volts, but it could be gone the next day...that is the way with Lithium....I like the Tadrian brand batteries! Yours probably has a panasonic or Maxell in it...GOOD LUCK AND IF I CAN HELP...FEEL FREE TO PM ME!:)

regards
Jeff

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)