4DTV Model DSR-920 - Got one!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Davage

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 26, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
I've managed to buy a Model DSR-920 for $150 on ebay. I hope that I didn't over-pay for it. The battery was replaced roughly 18 months ago.

I'm a little disappointed that from what I've been reading that I won't be able to tune into the w0kie Digicipher transmissions using this receiver, but other than that I am anxious for it to arrive.

If anybody knows how to trick the 920 into tuning in the w0kie signals, please let me know.

DSR 920 and 922 receivers have become VERY popular. I have been trying to get one on EBay now for over 2 years with no success.

I hope you enjoy your 4DTV receiver.

DSR 920 and 922 receivers have become VERY popular. I have been trying to get one on EBay now for over 2 years with no success.

I hope you enjoy your 4DTV receiver.

I managed to get the Receiver through a 2nd chance offer. The original guy who won the auction turned out to be a non-paying bidder, so the original seller sent me a private 2nd chance offer that didn't go back up on ebay (but it DID go through ebay so that I got all the protection of ebay/paypal).

For $150 I couldn't turn it down, especially knowing that the battery is fairly fresh.

I have been trying for quite some time too, but I couldn't justify spending $300 to $500 on one.

If your talking about W0kie radio on Galaxy 26 , I can get it on my 920.

Yes,it is w0kie radio I'm looking to tune into. After October 26th, that analog feed on Galaxy 26 will be gone though :( The only other feed right now is on AMC3 Digicipher, and my understanding is that the 920 won't tune into that Digicipher transmission.

According to what I see on the w0kie page today, it looks to me like they are possibly looking at using digital transmissions. I'm making an assumption that they're looking into DVB format that we could pickup on an FTA set, but that is pure assumption.

Time will tell.

I've just started listening to w0kie very recently, and it would be sad to see it going off the satellite. I know that I could listen via the internet, but it is fun to listen without being tied down to the computer.

I might just need to start listening to this wOkie radio too. I listened to a guy named Harry in the 80's who had a satellite talk show that was very imformative.

Tip: bid on auctions ending on holidays. :) I saw a DSR-920 go for only $20.25 on Labor Day. My bid of $20.00 was lost at the last minute while I had something else to do. :( I also saw a Coolsat 6000 go for only $30 on a holiday a few months ago.

I might just need to start listening to this wOkie radio too. I listened to a guy named Harry in the 80's who had a satellite talk show that was very imformative.

Tip: bid on auctions ending on holidays. :) I saw a DSR-920 go for only $20.25 on Labor Day. My bid of $20.00 was lost at the last minute while I had something else to do. :( I also saw a Coolsat 6000 go for only $30 on a holiday a few months ago.
Except that Thanksgiving is not a good "bid holiday" since everyone is sitting around doing nothing.. travel occurs after the holiday is over, and since it's two days, there's enough people on the eBay one of the two days to keep bidding going :/

W0kie piggybacks in Digicipher on the prime time 24 feed on W3. They use a very low symbol rate, 7.50 Only the 922 and 905 can do those low symbol rates. There are also 6 Showtime channels that use a low symbol rate. There may be a few more Im not aware of. Beside those the 920 will do most of the mainstream stuff.

It would be nice if my 922 would appreciate in value because of demand then depreciate.:)

If all I'm going to miss is w0kie and some Showtime channels, then I think I'll grow to like that model 920. I will finally get to retire my old GI 2400 analog receiver.

The primetime 24 channels also use the W0kie symbol rate. I think there's a few foreign channels also but thats it. Welcome to the Fun World of DC-II :)

After being mis-routed by DHL courier twice, and also being slightly damaged due to inadequate packaging, my 920 has arrived. I set the receiver back to factory defaults, because I didn't think that the other guy's settings would work for mine. After setting to factory defaults G0 and a bunch of the other satellites went away.. :eek: I managed to find G5 and get it programmed in, and then I moved the dish just a bit east to the point where I figured that G0 should be. I programmed that location in as G9 and left it there overnight with the Power off. The G9 has now magically turned into G0, so I'm assuming that I managed to take a download during the night. After work today I'm hoping to get around to programming some more of the satellites in, and also hoping to find some DC2 signals to watch that are in fixed key or zero key mode.

Lots of fun! Lots of learning too...

After being mis-routed by DHL courier twice, and also being slightly damaged due to inadequate packaging, my 920 has arrived. I set the receiver back to factory defaults, because I didn't think that the other guy's settings would work for mine. After setting to factory defaults G0 and a bunch of the other satellites went away.. :eek: I managed to find G5 and get it programmed in, and then I moved the dish just a bit east to the point where I figured that G0 should be. I programmed that location in as G9 and left it there overnight with the Power off. The G9 has now magically turned into G0, so I'm assuming that I managed to take a download during the night. After work today I'm hoping to get around to programming some more of the satellites in, and also hoping to find some DC2 signals to watch that are in fixed key or zero key mode.

Lots of fun! Lots of learning too...

Get it down on G1-3 to see if you can get the guide it may still be authorized on the receiver. If I were you I would subscribe to at least 1 alacart DCII service. This will open up more channels for you.

Get it down on G1-3 to see if you can get the guide it may still be authorized on the receiver. If I were you I would subscribe to at least 1 alacart DCII service. This will open up more channels for you.

I have been looking through some of the different providers to see what the smallest package, or smallest alacart channels I could buy. I have a subscription with Bell ExpressVu, so I already get CNN, Headline News, CNBC, etc. I'm hoping to find some channels that are not normally available in Canada and subscribe to those. ie: VH1 Classic. I already have a subscription to The Weather Channel on C-Band Analog, I wonder if they can transfer it over to digital...

Get it down on G1-3 to see if you can get the guide it may still be authorized on the receiver.

I've got the dish down on G1-3, and I see that the DC light has lit up. I've turned the receiver OFF, assuming that it will possibly take the guide download while the receiver is powered off?

You can sub to just like Sleuth, Sci Fi, or Chiller, ala carte from SRL on X4. You may need that to get the guide to work. On the 922 to force the guide just push the guide button and move it to where there's no data. If the tier bit is active you will get the guide otherwise you will need to sub to something.

You can sub to just like Sleuth, Sci Fi, or Chiller, ala carte from SRL on X4. You may need that to get the guide to work. On the 922 to force the guide just push the guide button and move it to where there's no data. If the tier bit is active you will get the guide otherwise you will need to sub to something.

Do you know if I actually need Ku capability when authorizing one of those Ku channels? Would the C-Band authorization stream update my receiver even though I couldn't see those Ku channels? I might just sub to one of the cheapest channels I can find just to get the receiver activated.

My long-term plans are to install Ku, but not within the next few weeks. I have a motorized Ku dish, but it has a universal LNB on it that I'll need to get switched out to a Standard LNB to watch the Ku stuff .

I'd like to get the receiver activated for something like Sleuth, even if I can't watch it, just to get the EPG, etc.

Do you know if I actually need Ku capability when authorizing one of those Ku channels? Would the C-Band authorization stream update my receiver even though I couldn't see those Ku channels? I might just sub to one of the cheapest channels I can find just to get the receiver activated.

My long-term plans are to install Ku, but not within the next few weeks. I have a motorized Ku dish, but it has a universal LNB on it that I'll need to get switched out to a Standard LNB to watch the Ku stuff .

I'd like to get the receiver activated for something like Sleuth, even if I can't watch it, just to get the EPG, etc.

I know the receiver can take a hit for any 4D programming on an C band movie channel or G1-3. Call SRL and ask them to hit you on C band. Get a standard LNB for your movable Ku dish and you'll be good to go for X4. You really want access to X4, it's getting more and more popular and becoming a must have.

I've got my 920 activated. I am very happy with this receiver so far. The best picture I was getting on many of the channels was a nice clear picture with a few sparklies. I attributed the sparklies to an LNB that possibly wasn't adjusted to the focal position properly, but I've been too busy to drag the tv outside to adjust it. With the 920, I was able to do a Mhz adjust for the LNB, and now I've got sparklie-free pictures on most analog channels.

The UHF remote is awesome. I can change the satellites and channels from anywhere in the house..

I've just got a few channels subscribed for now, just to get to know the unit. When winter sets in, and I've actually got time to watch a bit of TV, I'll look at maybe adding HBO to the sub.

Lots of fun! Way better picture than the pizza size dishes are putting out.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)