4Dtv possibities

Status
Please reply by conversation.

GreatFTA

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
Mississippi Delta
You know, Folks, since there's a great interest in 4DTV out there, it would be a great opporunity for the programmers to start offering more programming. I am like most of Directv and Dishnet folks who are tired of paying high prices on programming, especially when there are programs I don't care too much about. 4DTV does offer some programming which gives us CHOICES.
Maybe Motorola and GI would start making more of those receivers, hopefully at a better price.

Motorola is out of touch and has always been out of touch with reality.

What really needs to happen is someone other the M needs to come out with a secure encryption system and get the uplinkers to move to it.

What really needs to happen is someone other the M needs to come out with a secure encryption system and get the uplinkers to move to it.

Doubt that will happen. Digicipher and SA PowerVu are the standards. What needs to be done is Motorola needs to sell the rights of DC to a manufacture that would be willing to make a consumer level receiver. Then we may be able to get ahead again. Motorola has no interest in us as it stands. If GI never bailed there probably would have been a DSR 924 at least that could do megapipe.

The only thing we can do is try to keep getting more people interested in C band and 4DTV and they have to subscribe to something. The more numbers we have the better the chance something may happen one day. When you get Direct Tv, Dish Network, Cable etc and bail from C band it puts another nail in the coffin. I have converted a few people in the past year to C band so Im doing what I can. We have to join forces and get as many people over to our side and our way of thinking and get them to dump the LSD or cable.

The only chance would be a modified Star Choice receiver, I think the rumoured 605/630 model can do dvb-s2 and the older megapipe and 4d dc, Motorola will not put time and money for a model just for big dish users, if the Star choice mod don't happen them we are basically assed out.

Alot of us go out and get those BUD systems from folks who look at them as eyesores. Most of us use them for getting great signals as far as FTA is concern (less rain fadouts) and for the rest of us who are blessed to get 4DTV receivers, well, there's great potential of getting better choices of programming. I hate being on Directv (and cable years ago) and not having choices of programming I would like. There's alot of channels on Directv I don't care anything about.
Maybe if we BUD/4DTV owners start communicating to NPS, Skyvision, and others and letting them know we want CHOICES on programming WE want, then maybe the BUD/4DTV market can be revived.
Of course there are many folks who live in towns and cities who can't have the BUD/4DTV but that's all right, maybe the pizza pan market folks could come up with someway of letting them have CHOICES.
I really believe if these digital market folks allow us to have CHOICES of programming WE want, paying for each programs we choose, then the market would be wide open.
To me, it is really dumb to pay for packet deals that has programs that doesn't appeal to me at all. That is why I enjoy FTA so much! I can block out programs I don't watch, and watch the other programs for free. If the programmers just allow us to make our choices of what we want, at a reasonable price, they would still make good profit.
I reckon they don't make 4DTV (correct me if I am wrong) anymore. I see 4DTV DSR-905 sidecars, 920s, 922s, and 4200 series sell at Ebay and other sites at all kinds of prices, high and low. And they sell!
I know I am ranting and raving, but I feel very strong about this issue. I hope the rest of us FTAers, and BUD/4DTV hobbyist feel the same way I do.

Heck, look at the choices the European countries have on their FTA viewing! WIDE OPEN!!!
And USA doesn't nearly have that much choices. And we are the richest nation in the world!!!
OK, ok... Enough ranting...
My blood pressure is up... LOL

:rant:Unfortunately I'm pretty sure there are not enough of us who would invest the time, $$ and effort. The vast majority want the "all in one" convenience that the pizza pan guys offer. No large dish, no switching satellites etc. We're in a "more is better" society which believes that 500 crappy channels of which 498 of them repeat the same programs as all the others is better than 2 dozen quality channels which show just what YOU want.

The proof of this is in things like the iPod..........2000 songs all in the palm of your hand, all at mediocre quality........... We've been lead to believe that more is better. Folks like us who are interested in thinking "outside the box (or pizza pan)" are the only ones who see the error in this.
I honestly believe that there was more good programming to watch when we only had 2 dozen channels to watch because they weren't all showing the same crap!:rant:
K, I'm done :)

BTW I'm loving the "rant" smiley!

I guess I'm one of the nails. I let my 4dtv subscription lapse a few years ago because of the lack of HD and having to subscribe to Absolute Digital package just to get TCM after they left analog. My cost for all the premium channels and Absolute Digital package was approaching what Dish Network charged for America's Everything package. So I switched to Dish and after using their DVR, there is no way I'm going back to Cband for subscription channels. That said, it freed up the big dish for wildfeed use 24/7:).

I agree with photoman76 on this. The lack of HD is the 4DTV's biggest setback. I still sub to Starz/Encore on my 920, but if the BUD wants to see any real "revival" it needs to have more HD available, for the present HDD-200 decoders or the possible modified Starchoice boxes.
Not that I want to predict "4D-doomsday" but without lots more HD,
the 4DTV's days are numbered....and there's not a lot of days left.
SD is old technology that's quickly going by the wayside. :no

HD offerings are needed and the Bud has the capabilities to put the pizza guys to shame. I won't predict the total demise of 4DTV yet. There has been doom and gloom talk for years and were still around. Were like a bad cold that won't go away. The more we support the current offerings the longer we can keep it going. You don't have to buy a big package to be counted. Just grab an ala carte from SRL or Skyvision for a year and your good to go. Strength comes in numbers, numbers add up to revenue that can be channeled back into the system. Look at the 410 and Skyvision. Did we ever think that anything like that would come about? We need a player like Skyvision to get a converted Starchoice receiver for us to get ALL of the Hits offerings. If that would happen the bud subscription would be alive and well for years to come.

I hope Sat Guys don't start preaching doom and gloom like that other forum does. Sat Guys was always very upbeat and positive thats why I always like it. Lets keep thinking positive and make things happen. We have the power in our hands and have a lot of say in what happens. :up

Tvropro, THAT made more sense what I am saying!
Maybe if we get as many 4DTV owners who feel the same way we do to form some kind of petition to send to Skyvision, NPS, and other programmers, then something can happen. Not only petitions from Satelliteguys, but from other forums as well...
I have seen from other 4DTV forums the frustrations most of us program subscribers are feeling. Think of it this way: Suppose Skyvision, NPS, etc, start catering more to the 4DTV subscribers with better choices (and better prices) more customers began to come, the pizza pan folks may take notice and start doing it too. Competition!!!
4DTV may seem to be in limbo to some of us, but we have the power (as consumers) to turn it around. Alot of BUDs and 4DTVs are being rescued and with folks paying high prices on used 4DTV receivers on Ebay, the hope of reviving 4DTV is still there. I did not know that are many models of 4DTV receivers!
It would be great that a manufacturer would some someday create a 4DTV/FTA like receiver that could perform from EITHER a BUD or pizza pans. That way those folks who can't use BUD in certain areas can use the pizza pan dish.
Well, Directv, Dishnet, GI, and Motorala (pardon the spelling): If you do see this, start racking your brains out to do this!

True, Skyvision wants them and in all the time I searched for one for my setup I noticed that ALL of them sold on E-Bay and the ones with confirmed good batteries still brought a really good price. That gives me hope.
I'm a supporter of the cause, my 905 is subbed through Skyvision.

Last night I went on Ebay and bought up 4DTV and man, there were many of them! Most at a high price!
I figure that Skyvision would refurbish the 4DTV receivers and resell them. Smart thinking.

Skyvision isn't offering much for them but want a good buck when they resell. They are getting a good dollar on e-bay because people want them and there hard to find. I bought my 922 brand new from Skyvision in 2006 for $399.00, I got it when the price bottomed out. It may be worth that much still used :)

I currently have 2 subbed 4DTV receivers with different packages to keep them alive. Although, I have a Skyvision 410 that's currently not in use since the C band switch over last year. My Dad used that one while it was Ku band.

I bet many people lost the use of the 410s at that time. ( Although, I never saw any published sub figures ) I think if they kept a Ku band offering available it would have helped those that do not have C band access. That was part of the appeal to use a small dish with the 410 system.

Had some guy's doing some work in the yard yesterday and one of them asked me does that old thing (BUD) work??? We got rid of ours years ago.

If they only knew how nice it is!!!!!!!!!

Had some guy's doing some work in the yard yesterday and one of them asked me does that old thing (BUD) work??? We got rid of ours years ago.

If they only knew how nice it is!!!!!!!!!

They don't know what there missing :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts