4DTV 's value appreciating

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tvropro

On Vacation
Original poster
Mar 9, 2007
I heard that there is a shortage on new and used 4DTV's. This can only mean if you own one there going up in value. :) Skyvision can't even get there hands on them.

I paid 240.00 on ebay for a used 905 in great condition with remote!!
I thought at the time it was a little too much but I wanted two 4dtv boxes in the house.

Tvropro and Truchracer what does 4DTV give you, ie extra channels?? And do you have to subscribe to receive these channels?

Tvropro and Truchracer what does 4DTV give you, ie extra channels?? And do you have to subscribe to receive these channels?

The 4dtv gives you free and subscription Digicipher 2 channels.

I paid 240.00 on ebay for a used 905 in great condition with remote!!
I thought at the time it was a little too much but I wanted two 4dtv boxes in the house.

I got my new 922 from Skyvision in Jan 2006. Payed $399.00 for it. Now if you can find one there around $500.00 and up >>

I got my 922 last year with 2 remotes and a few modulators for $180. I almost had it for $130 when I bid towards the end of auction BUT I left plenty of time for the other bidder to come back and that cost me another $50. I think that I made up for it when I got a working HDD200 converter for $50!
Is it still a huge expense to get the battery replaced in a 920 or a 922 when the time comes??? Any idea on what the average life of the battery is??? Is there any way to retrofit a battery in when the time comes??? (But then there is the setting up the unit again!) Maybe someone can figure out how to put a battery in before the unit goes down without cutting the power off (external power source during surgery?) so the unit does not loose its ID!?!?!?

Do a search, several people around here have replaced the batteries in their 4dtv receivers and the procedure is in those threads. I think it is also in one of the faq's. It is good to do it sooner rather than later, if you are not sure of the age of the battery.

Thanks! I will check it out!!!

There is an awful lot of info on this site!!!... Sometime I think I spend more time on here than watching TV!!!

Last edited:
Is Moto still making 922's?

Last I heard that when there is a shortage Motorola tools up and puts out a run, although I wonder this time? The shortage is because just about everything you can to sub too is now digital. The ones that waited for the last minute need a receiver now. If Motorola played there cards right they would have been working towards a 924 that does megapipe. They could roll it out now and probably have quite a few takers.

I think with some media advertising and updated equipment, C-band could be very much popular again today. I know that everybody who has seen my system is extremely impressed with it.

Most don't even mind the "big huge ugly dish in the yard" after they see what it has to offer.

The only downfall I have seen from c-band is having a true multi-tv set application.
That's where pizza dish and cable have the edge to connect xxxx amounts of tv to one dish and still get all the channels in every room.

although however imagine if W5 and W4 (4 degrees apart) had some megapipe HD channels along with a mix of the SD channels.
A 7.5' dish with two c-band lnbf's along side some "affordable" megapipe combomode capable receivers would make a lot of people's HD tv's very happy.

Pizza and cable have the media in their hands keeping C-band the biggest secret in tv reception.

I think with some media advertising and updated equipment, C-band could be very much popular again today. I know that everybody who has seen my system is extremely impressed with it.

Most don't even mind the "big huge ugly dish in the yard" after they see what it has to offer.

The only downfall I have seen from c-band is having a true multi-tv set application.
That's where pizza dish and cable have the edge to connect xxxx amounts of tv to one dish and still get all the channels in every room.

although however imagine if W5 and W4 (4 degrees apart) had some megapipe HD channels along with a mix of the SD channels.
A 7.5' dish with two c-band lnbf's along side some "affordable" megapipe combomode capable receivers would make a lot of people's HD tv's very happy.

Pizza and cable have the media in their hands keeping C-band the biggest secret in tv reception.

If someone with bucks like Skyvision SRL or NPS would invest in trying to get the new Starchoice receivers modified to do c band and sell them they would be sitting on a potential goldmine. Even if they just did all the HITS channels including the megapipes & HD's they would have one sweet system. Nobody wants to commit though because they could loose there shirts, so we are where we are.

Huh and go figure I just picked up a 920 is great condition for free :D. Its good to have friends I guess. Anyway, about this battery thing. My reciever was supposedly left unplugged for a few years, and yet the unit ID is still intact, go figure. Maybe the battery has already been replaced?

Skyvision and others have tried to negotiate with Motorola, in order to revive the production of DSR-922 receivers, or some other solution that might allow a similar unit to be made under license by another company. No bending at Motorola, so that idea is simply not going to happenin the near future!

However, Skyvision has asked me to announce to this group and others than they are now in the market to purchase used DSR-920 and DSR-922 receivers in working condition, so that they may be refurbished and tested, for resale to those still wanting a 4DTV receiver. They will offer 100.00 for a used DSR-922, and 50.00 for a used DSR-920. Other details are being worked out, but if you have such equipment that needs a new home, and is still functioning, they are serious about
acquiring these receivers. For more details, drop me an Email at globalcm@mhtc.net

Skyvision and others have tried to negotiate with Motorola, in order to revive the production of DSR-922 receivers, or some other solution that might allow a similar unit to be made under license by another company. No bending at Motorola, so that idea is simply not going to happenin the near future!

Motorola nice company to do business with :mad: As much as I disliked GI
they were a lot more c band friendly than the big M!

Just a thought, is there some cable pressure behind Motorola's no dice decision? Since they make a large amount of the cable boxes. It looks like they want to put the final blow to c band subscribers. I think that SRL and Skyvision since they seem to have a good working relationship with Comcast HITS (better than NPS) should see if they could use Comcast's clout to get something done. The big M will listen to them since they are a major player.

Last edited:
Huh and go figure I just picked up a 920 is great condition for free :D. Its good to have friends I guess. Anyway, about this battery thing. My reciever was supposedly left unplugged for a few years, and yet the unit ID is still intact, go figure. Maybe the battery has already been replaced?

If you are not sure the battery was replaced you should try to have it done, as it could go anyday.

The prices Skyvision is offering are extremely low. I think the only takers they will get are ones that are jumping out of c-band and rather get something than nothing. With a shortage of 4D's one could ask top dollar and get it. Sort of like gas prices.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)