4ft dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

metal head

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 26, 2010
The Rock
Anybody have any tips or tricks for getting the best signal from a big dish. Seems like I get a lower signal from a 4ft dish then my 75e shaw direct dish. Is there something I am doing wrong.

That must be a 4ft Prime focus? Mesh? Also, what LNBF? It all affects results. The feed on your 75e is matched to the dish for Maximum performance. My 84e, with a generic LNBF, worked no better than the 30 inch until I put the correct feed on it, now it Rocks.

I am actually using it for ku, 97w to be exact. Its an old round star choice dish with a digiwave linear lnb on it. Cant get 40 percent on 12177, but with the 75e I could get over 50.

Offset 1.2 meter dish should do better than that. Mine will get Q's in the 80's+ on 97w. Heck my 30 inch get most in the 70+ range. (Openbox S9 and cheap $9 LNBF's) Is the LNBF at the focal point? Meaning its got it's factory arms and feed holder? Clear line of sight? Check system over, cable and connectors, and replace any questionable items. RG-6, right? LNBF feed cover clean, or the LNBF may be "weak", and need replacing (not very likely but I've had it happen)

Thanks for all the replies guys. I am not sure why such a weak signal. I tried a different lnb, and I hauled a little tv up by the dish and managed to tweak a little but not much. Gonna leave it for a couple of days to see if it breaks up the picture at all. The whole reason for putting up the 4ft was a better signal but so far not the case.

I did a 4 footer a few years ago.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/206799-another-new-mini-bud-me.html

I agree with the other guys though - - - 4 foot take a lot a patience and you must be looking at a very strong C-Band TP.

This dish is now in my hayloft as I now have a 6 footer and a 10 footer up.

Thus, it is possible and was a good learning experience for me - - - but it just made we want a bigger dish. If you are experimenting and have a strong TP to go after it is possible.

Smallest C-Band dish I ever did was 90 cm but that took much patience and was really just a play toy.

sounds like the lnb might not be at the focal point/sweet spot
Is it a Winegard DS 3100? does it look something like this?

If you've got the original starchoice lnb's on the 75E, then throw that on the round dish. It should slide right over the arm. You would have to release the support arms. You could c-clamp it on temporarily and see what kind of signal it brings in. I'm pretty sure I've done this to mine before.

Catamount

Last edited:
Winegard 1m focal pt.jpg
what i do is tape a length of string at the very top and very bottom of the dish. mark the bottom string at slightly over 23" and the top string at slightly under 40 1/4 "with a marker. tie a knot where the two marks meet. pull taught and thats where your focal point is. it should be about 1/2" inside your lnb and not right on the protective cover. draw (or imagine) an x between the 4 bolts that hold the dish to it's support. the lnb should be aimed/tilted at the centre of the x

Actually, I just entered that 12177 transponder in my Viewsat (which gives me the lowest quality readings). Just scanned it and getting 45 quality on that TP. You may not be far off. A lot depends on receiver. I'm in Moncton and beautiful day here.

I am in Newfoundland, and figured I could do better with this dish. Still got a couple things to try. Thanks for your responses and will keep you guys posted.

I gotta say, I really wanted that bigger round dish to be better but its just not. Yesterday was rainy and foggy here, So I hooked back up the 75e shaw dish. The 4ft round dish had like 0% on 12177 but the oval 75e had about 30% and full picture. Anyway not a big deal, just playing with it.

Is that dish, by any chance, warped? It's pretty critical at Ku frequencies. String it. they should be touching every which way across the face. Because, it should do better than it is.

I gotta say, I really wanted that bigger round dish to be better but its just not. Yesterday was rainy and foggy here, So I hooked back up the 75e shaw dish. The 4ft round dish had like 0% on 12177 but the oval 75e had about 30% and full picture. Anyway not a big deal, just playing with it.

Is your dish actually 4 feet or is it 43 inches x 40 inches? If the latter, it gives me about 8-10 more quality points than the 75e. This is using starchoice lnb's.

Catamount

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts