DMX741 standard or DMX741U

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Hungster

Original poster
Dec 1, 2011
australia
Hi
I'm new here and trying to find out which one of these units is suitable for my setup, the DMX741 standard or DMX741U.
I have a 2.4meter(8') mesh dish, a Strong SRT4669x receiver, and a phoenix DiSEqc1.2 positioner. Could anyone please guide me to the best suited unit LNBF, to be able to pick up both C and Ku bands...

By the way I'm in Victoria Australia, if that makes any different...

Thanks in advance
Hungster

It depends on the frequencies that are used on KU sats you want. ie 138°E AM3 you would need the DMX741U (Universal) The Universal unit has different DiSEqC controls than the Standard one. Make sure you can run them on your receiver. The Standard one does not have as low a frequency coverage as the Universal one, but uses simple tone 22khz to switch between C and Ku.

And Welcome to the forum mate! You will find this forum a one stop shop for your satellite info needs.

Last edited:
Most of the 10.7-11.7 low band Ku is aimed at Europe & Asia. If you are already using a diseqc switch in your system the standard might be easier and most simple to set up. If the 741 is the only LNBF in your system then likely doesn't matter as long as your receiver supports diseqc and 22KHz switches. In Australia you can likely pick up these low band Ku signals. Also check if they are linear or circular polarity (The 741 comes with an insert to convert polarity format).
I have a standard 741 on my 10' dish and have a 4 port switch in line; one port goes to the C-band, 2 goes to Ku, three goes to my motorized 36" Ku dish with an invacom universal LNBF, and 4 goes to a stationary dish aimed at 30W. The small dish works well for Ku and I don't have to move the big dish as often.
-C.

Most of the 10.7-11.7 low band Ku is aimed at Europe & Asia. If you are already using a diseqc switch in your system the standard might be easier and most simple to set up. If the 741 is the only LNBF in your system then likely doesn't matter as long as your receiver supports diseqc and 22KHz switches. In Australia you can likely pick up these low band Ku signals. Also check if they are linear or circular polarity (The 741 comes with an insert to convert polarity format).
I have a standard 741 on my 10' dish and have a 4 port switch in line; one port goes to the C-band, 2 goes to Ku, three goes to my motorized 36" Ku dish with an invacom universal LNBF, and 4 goes to a stationary dish aimed at 30W. The small dish works well for Ku and I don't have to move the big dish as often.
-C.

Dear Magic Static, and Cham,

Thank you very much for your super fast response.... Greatly appreciate!
To answer Magic Static's question, I'm trying to pick up the c and ku band channels from Vinasat1(3413V, 3433V and 11549H) and AsiaSat5 (12437H and 12477H) and another couple of satellites....

I'm still sort of a bit confused of which LNBF to choose (741U or standard). My current setup is a 2.4meter(8') mesh dish with a single c band LNB using a single coaxial cable to connect to a Phoenix DisEqC1.2, then to my Strong SRT4669x receiver...i.e. I'm not connecting the LBN directly to the receiver, the DiSEqC is sitting in the middle.

I've read the spec of the SRT4669x, it says it supports Frequency range:(22 2)KHz, (0.6 0.2)V and DiSEqC:Ver 1.0/1.2/USALS Compatible if that helps you gents

So if I'm to replace the the LNBF (741U or standard, which one), do I just replace the current LNB with the new one(741U or standard), use the current single coaxial cable and start scanning again? or do I have to run two coaxial cables down from the LNBF?

Please forgive my ignorance, I'm totally new to this game... please educate me...

Thanks again.
Hungster

To receive C-band, either LNBF will work.

To receive 11549 on KU-band you will need the Universal type. Universal LNBFs receive frequencies from 10700 through 12700. Standard LNBFs can usually tune 11700 through 12700. As you can see, a standard type LNBF would not tune below 11700 to receive the channels that you want on 11549.

You will want the DMX741U or other brand that includes the KU band Universal type LNBF.

Your receiver will control the LNBFs with no problem.

There is one more thing to consider. Some large mesh type dishes do not receive Ku band very well at all. I hear that if you can fit a pencil in the mesh it won't work. Perforated dishes are better suited to KU reception.

Wonderful....!!, much clearer, I know what to get now... thanks SatelliteAV, Magic Static and Cham.... what can we do without you guys....

One quick question for Magic Static, you meant the whole pencil diameter, or the lead of the pencil... the holes on my mesh dish is a bit bigger than the LEAD of the pencil... so I think it might be ok?

Thanks again for all the advice, much appreciated....

Hungster

Wonderful....!!, much clearer, I know what to get now... thanks SatelliteAV, Magic Static and Cham.... what can we do without you guys....

One quick question for Magic Static, you meant the whole pencil diameter, or the lead of the pencil... the holes on my mesh dish is a bit bigger than the LEAD of the pencil... so I think it might be ok?

Thanks again for all the advice, much appreciated....

Hungster

Yes it should be OK

Can not pick up Ku Band with DMX741U

Hello again every one,
It's been a while,... and I'm desperately need your help again...

I've set up a new system which consist of a 2.3m mesh dish, a Gbox DiSEqc1.2 positioner, Openbox S9 HD receiver, and a DMX741U. There are several satellites I want to tune to, but for now I'm targetting Vinasat1.
The only frequency I could pick up is C-band 3413V(9766). Im trying to pick up the below C and Ku bands also :

3433V (14800) - C band

10968H (28800)
- Ku Band
11090H (28125) - Ku Band
11116H (6665) - Ku Band
11549H (28800) - Ku Band

No luck at all at the moment, I can sometimes pickup 3433V, it's on and off, But absolutely nothing for the Ku Band.

Please help to pick up the Ku bands. I've try lots of things, by skewing the LNB. Tried to create a seperate SAT in OpenboxS9 just for the Ku Freq and set the LNB-freq to 10600(10750), tried setting the motor type to DiSEqC1.2/USALS, turned the 22K switch on but still can not pick up any Ku band.

DMX741U seems to pick up C-band ok, but not Ku-band, I've connected the LNB correctly as per the instuction, is there anything I have to set up in OpenboxS9 ? any help is greatly appreciated..

thanks again....

Hungster

There are many things that could be your issue, but generally speaking Ku-band just requires more precise aiming , especially with a big prime focus dish like you have.

Some things to check: Focal length, feed centering, skewing (your probes should be horizontal/vertical when your dish is at apex). Have you pulled a couple of strings across your dish to verify it's parabolic shape?

Another thought, a lot of us here use smaller (.9m, 1m, 1.2m, etc.) offset-type dishes dedicated for Ku reception, and use our larger prime focus dishes for C-band only.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)