4K Events Discussion Thread

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I actually take anything Swann says with a grain of salt, but there is a pretty good chance this will come to pass.

Did the AZ vs Cal football game last night work? I had a black screen with sound. My TV LG4K supports all 4K formats. Hooper 3, video settings were set for 4K. Is there another setting somewhere? I'm on Americas Top 200 package is 4K not included with this? I didn't know that there was occasional 4K broadcasts until I found this forum last week. I was looking forward to seeing what that looked like. I guess I'm still looking forward to what it looks like. :) While I was listening to the black screen they went to commercial and it sounded like they were still in the stadium during the break. That would bring me back to the good old days of C-Band stadium back haul feeds . . .

Nope, cable is certified HDR deep color or whatever that is. My settings are normally on 720p because I'm distributing to other TVs which need the 720p. All my 4K content is coming directly through the built in apps of the TV so having the Hooper set to 720p isn't a biggie. I had thought about doing a reset after changing the video setting to 4K but didn't want to interrupt a recording in process. Hopefully they have something next weekend so I can try again. I take it you don't have to be on a certain tier to get the 4K?

Nope, cable is certified HDR deep color or whatever that is. My settings are normally on 720p because I'm distributing to other TVs which need the 720p. All my 4K content is coming directly through the built in apps of the TV so having the Hooper set to 720p isn't a biggie. I had thought about doing a reset after changing the video setting to 4K but didn't want to interrupt a recording in process. Hopefully they have something next weekend so I can try again. I take it you don't have to be on a certain tier to get the 4K?
Are you sure the hopper doesn’t need to be set to 4K?

I had set it to 4K prior to switching to the game last night so it was in the 4K resolution setting. Other TV's are feed through the component out of the Hopper. If I leave it on the 1080i, 1080P, 4K setting all the time it creates problems with the component out so setting is normally on 720p. I don't know, maybe I have to disconnect the component cable but it would seem that that shouldn't have any bearing on the HDML connection. I wouldn't expect to see anything coming out of the component out during a 4K broadcast.

I had set it to 4K prior to switching to the game last night so it was in the 4K resolution setting. Other TV's are feed through the component out of the Hopper. If I leave it on the 1080i, 1080P, 4K setting all the time it creates problems with the component out so setting is normally on 720p. I don't know, maybe I have to disconnect the component cable but it would seem that that shouldn't have any bearing on the HDML connection. I wouldn't expect to see anything coming out of the component out during a 4K broadcast.
First, if you are set to 4K, 1080p, or 1080i, your component output will work UNLESS you are viewing a 4K event. Next, have you tried to send that 1080i signal to your 720p TVs?

Now, if you have internet hooked up, try this: Setup for 4K, with your 54 remote press Home, Home, go to On Demand. Now, drop down to 4K Movies And Shows. Go to the very end of that list, Trapper Creek Tragedy. This is a free 4K event. See if that works.

All that said, I have a recording of last night’s 4K football game and it plays just fine.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Did the AZ vs Cal football game last night work? I had a black screen with sound. My TV LG4K supports all 4K formats. Hooper 3, video settings were set for 4K. Is there another setting somewhere? I'm on Americas Top 200 package is 4K not included with this? I didn't know that there was occasional 4K broadcasts until I found this forum last week. I was looking forward to seeing what that looked like. I guess I'm still looking forward to what it looks like. :) While I was listening to the black screen they went to commercial and it sounded like they were still in the stadium during the break. That would bring me back to the good old days of C-Band stadium back haul feeds . . .
I know you said you have a good cable BUT black screen with sound only is a telltale of an HDCP negotiation failure. Next time this happens unplug the HDMI cable and plug it back in, this is the most reliable way to force an HDCP re-negotiation, power-cycling does not always work.

I know you said you have a good cable BUT black screen with sound only is a telltale of an HDCP negotiation failure. Next time this happens unplug the HDMI cable and plug it back in, this is the most reliable way to force an HDCP re-negotiation, power-cycling does not always work.

I'll have to give this a try. For two of the games I've had the black screen with audio; both times I've just rebooted the Hooper to resolve. Now I check 1/2 hour before the game or so to make sure I have the Dish 4k backsplash.

A couple times I've gotten to watch the players warming up on the field and listen to the audio /video / mic checks between the onsite commentators and the commentators back in the studio.

try this: Go to the very end of that list, Trapper Creek Tragedy. This is a free 4K event. See if that works.

Thanks for this info. As luck would have it the Trapper Creek video is on a channel not in my package. I did find something to test, "Younger" on TVLand. Going through the process it gives the option of purchasing (for free) 4K or HD. When I hit the 4K button it says my TV does not support this resolution (BS my TV supports more 4K resolutions then H3 puts out) do you want to play a resolution that is supported? I hit yes and it downloaded/played the video. In the rental tab in the DVR section looking at information it shows as 4K. Just to check I went back and downloaded another episode in HD. Info in the rental tab shows it has being HD so I have to assume DISH flakyness and the 4K is working.

First, if you are set to 4K, 1080p, or 1080i, your component output will work UNLESS you are viewing a 4K event. Next, have you tried to send that 1080i signal to your 720p TVs.

Setting to 720p is more of, it works better for the distribution system so that all my wife has to do is turn on the TV and it works. With the other settings sometimes you have to do a reset the distribution system thus I get called in :) I'm coming out of the component to an adapter that puts it back into HDMI and goes via Cat 5 (actually wiring is Cat7) encoder/decoder to the TV's. Why am I converting component to HDMI? There's an audio issue with the Cat 5 encoder/decoder system. It's suppose to but doesn't pass dolby digital. To get audio to the secondary TV's would require turning dolby digital off of the Hooper/Main TV. The analog RL audio into the converter gives me the audio needed for the secondary TVs. Even if that weren’t the case, coming out of the component out bypasses all the hand shaking issues that would occur every-time you turned on another TV in the house. At one point in time I had a wireless HDMI system that was a nightmare. It would creep into my older wireless phone spectrum and any TV turned on and off would blink all the other TV's in the house for hours (no not really just seemed like hours)

Sounds like a plan, and looks like jFabber99 has had the same problem so I'm not alone here :) I look forward to the next game (next week?) to try again.

Thanks all for the help with this.

Seems to be an issue with how you get to channel 540. The first MLB NLCS game I pulled up 540 on the guide, clicked on it and got the your device doesn't support this resolution BS so I clicked the record button. It recored and played back just fine. Next game, I setup the recording. After changing to the 4K resolution in settings I did a restart (unplugging the HDML didn't work) after clicking several times in the guide it finally came through. Then I changed channels to check on something else, when I came back I got the black screen with sound. I was able to watch the recording as it was recording which is how I watched most of the game. Checking on something else again when I came back I just dialed in 540 on the remote, not going through the guide. Viola, picture came up no muss no fuss. Game 3, going directly to 540 no muss, no fuss. I was going to it through the guide because it was 540-1, I wasn't sure what would happen going the direct route. Now I know, that's the way to go. I don't know if this is something about my system or if this is universal. If you're having trouble getting 4K to come in and you're going through the guide, try the direct approach. It's worked for me.

Seems to be an issue with how you get to channel 540. The first MLB NLCS game I pulled up 540 on the guide, clicked on it and got the your device doesn't support this resolution BS so I clicked the record button. It recored and played back just fine. Next game, I setup the recording. After changing to the 4K resolution in settings I did a restart (unplugging the HDML didn't work) after clicking several times in the guide it finally came through. Then I changed channels to check on something else, when I came back I got the black screen with sound. I was able to watch the recording as it was recording which is how I watched most of the game. Checking on something else again when I came back I just dialed in 540 on the remote, not going through the guide. Viola, picture came up no muss no fuss. Game 3, going directly to 540 no muss, no fuss. I was going to it through the guide because it was 540-1, I wasn't sure what would happen going the direct route. Now I know, that's the way to go. I don't know if this is something about my system or if this is universal. If you're having trouble getting 4K to come in and you're going through the guide, try the direct approach. It's worked for me.
It is your system, I’m going to say your HDMI cable/s are having handshake issues.

I don't know what FOX was thinking on last night’s game…, but not having a 4K camera in use for the behind the pitcher shot was crazy.

I’ve noticed that in games 1 & 2, and for the last football game in Arizona, that they didn't use a 4K camera for the above the bleacher aerial shot (used during commercial breaks). But at least all the game play was in 4K.

Watching last night's game with it going back and forth for every pitch was strange. Maybe they’ll have it fixed for tonight’s game.

It is your system, I’m going to say your HDMI cable/s are having handshake issues.

Why would there be no handshake issues when going directly to 540 from the remote yet going to it from the guide (pull up guide click on program box in the guide) there are handshake issue? It would seem that if one had an issue the other would also. Same H3, same cable, different results.

Why would there be no handshake issues when going directly to 540 from the remote yet going to it from the guide (pull up guide click on program box in the guide) there are handshake issue? It would seem that if one had an issue the other would also. Same H3, same cable, different results.
I don’t know. I don’t seem to have any issues at all. I’ll play around a bit this evening to see if I can duplicate what you are seeing.