4K Events Discussion Thread

I'm watching some of the NCAA Tournament games through a Hopper 3 on channel 540-03 connected to a 75" Sony x900e and noticed that the picture has always been weird (very cool, grayish, flat, etc) when watching 4k on this channel. I did some tinkering with the settings and noticed that if I changed the "Color Space" setting on the TV from "Auto" to "BT.2020" the color is perfect and showing as it should be as compared to the regular HD version of the channel.

My question is...why would the Auto setting not be picking the correct color space and is anyone else having this issue?

I've had issues in the past where the TV would not switch into HDR mode right away, but that was resolved by switching channels back and forth when they were showing the World Cup in 4k HDR.

I just searched for the next game in 4K to record for testing, the guide is not showing anything. Are you gonna leave it set to BT.2020 or switch it back to Auto when not watching 4K?

By the way, for anybody following my 4K TV woes, the 540 channels show "signal lost" just like streaming 4K do. I have to unplug the HDMI cable and plug it back in again to see any picture (or sound). BTW - the basketball last night had a spectacular picture. :)

I just searched for the next game in 4K to record for testing, the guide is not showing anything. Are you gonna leave it set to BT.2020 or switch it back to Auto when not watching 4K?

I changed it back to Auto after I was done watching 4k. The colors on the standard HD channels with the BT.2020 setting looked like it had a very bad red push on it.

Reactions: LQQK
I recorded the NCAA: Iowa State vs Ohio State game on TBS channel 139 and channel 540-03. I wanted to compare the 1080i recording with the 4K recording on my Sony XBR65X900E TV. There was a very noticeable difference when comparing the two recordings. The images of the players and crowd are sharp and well defined on the 4K recording while the edges of the players and crowd are soft and blurred on the 1080i recording. This was definitely a good test that really showed the benefit of the 4K broadcast.

I also noticed that the colors were more vibrant and brighter when I changed the color space from Auto to BT:2020.

I really enjoyed the game. Plus it was great that my alma mater Ohio State won.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Reactions: pattykay
I recorded the NCAA: Iowa State vs Ohio State game on TBS channel 139 and channel 540-03. I wanted to compare the 1080i recording with the 4K recording on my Sony XBR65X900E TV. There was a very noticeable difference when comparing the two recordings. The images of the players and crowd are sharp and well defined on the 4K recording while the edges of the players and crowd are soft and blurred on the 1080i recording. This was definitely a good test that really showed the benefit of the 4K broadcast.

I also noticed that the colors were more vibrant and brighter when I changed the color space from Auto to BT:2020.

I really enjoyed the game. Plus it was great that my alma mater Ohio State won.

I did the same and there’s a huge difference on my 126 inch screen. I have the Epson LS10000 laser projector.

Would you have to have a 4K Joey, in order to watch those shows?
Of course the shows you are talking about were a year and a half ago. ;) But to answer the overall question you would need either a Hopper 3 or a 4K Joey to watch any 4K programming.

I have a Hopper 3. Now, when I checked to see if my 4K HDR was turned on, it said no. How do I know turn that on. The UHD is on, but the HDR is not
Do not equate 4K and HDR as the same thing. They are separate things. The Hoppet 3 is capable of both but each has its own channel. Right now the only HDR channel is 540-02. There is nothing on it recently. If you are watching the NCAA basketball available on 540-03, it is only 4K, not HDR. So, you will not light up HDR on your display because it isn’t there. Also, the Hopper settings do not have a separate HDR toggle. When you set your Hopper to 4K, 1080p, or 1080i, the HDR will be automatic when it is available.

Do not equate 4K and HDR as the same thing. They are separate things. The Hoppet 3 is capable of both but each has its own channel. Right now the only HDR channel is 540-02. There is nothing on it recently. If you are watching the NCAA basketball available on 540-03, it is only 4K, not HDR. So, you will not light up HDR on your display because it isn’t there. Also, the Hopper settings do not have a separate HDR toggle. When you set your Hopper to 4K, 1080p, or 1080i, the HDR will be automatic when it is available.

I changed it back to Auto after I was done watching 4k. The colors on the standard HD channels with the BT.2020 setting looked like it had a very bad red push on it.

I tried the BT.2020, it does Push/Saturate a ton of Red on everything so I set it back to Auto. I've set my recorder for the 2 4K games today so I'll be able to give yer suggestion a try. Gonna record both the HD & 4K for the testing.

It is possible to have HDR with 1080. There is very little of it today. We very well could see it OTA when ATSC3 arrives. Dish has no 1080 HDR, it would need its own channel.

OK, so what would happen if Dish did have 1080 HDR? Can 4K TVs handle that?

Reactions: pattykay
Since I can't seem to get 4K from Netflix off the H3 . . . I thought I'd tune into the game on now. "SOB!!" "It's 4K!!!" or my TV is saying the source is UHD 3840x2160@60p. My TV is so excited and I am confused. If I can get 4K off these channels, why not Netflix. AND I saw this on the back cover of the April edition of Residential Systems magazine. (I'm being facetious here) Is this our DISH? . . . Advertising can be so appetizing . . . "and our extensive selection of DISH 4K programming." . . . "Extensive."

ResidentailSystemsApril2019-44800.jpg