4K Events Discussion Thread

The original press release lists “NBC Olympics 4K HDR” on both 540 and 147.05. It also says “NBC Sports Network is channel 159 on DISH. To watch the Olympics on NBCSN, choose this channel on your guide and you’ll be directed to channel 147.01. The Hopper Olympics App will be available on channel 159 and will be listed under NBCSN on your TV guide.” This makes no sense to me. Looking ahead to Thursday, 159 does have Olympic events such as curling scheduled, but how does this translate into the “Hopper Olympics App”? 540 and 147.05 (or any 147.x channel) so far are no-shows, and there is nothing under Apps, either.
Nothing is setup yet. You need to have some patience and let them turn all this stuff on. Once they get turned on things will be clearer...

The original press release lists “NBC Olympics 4K HDR” on both 540 and 147.05. It also says “NBC Sports Network is channel 159 on DISH. To watch the Olympics on NBCSN, choose this channel on your guide and you’ll be directed to channel 147.01. The Hopper Olympics App will be available on channel 159 and will be listed under NBCSN on your TV guide.” This makes no sense to me. Looking ahead to Thursday, 159 does have Olympic events such as curling scheduled, but how does this translate into the “Hopper Olympics App”? 540 and 147.05 (or any 147.x channel) so far are no-shows, and there is nothing under Apps, either.
There will be. There will be... ;)

Oh goody, my EPG will be F*#&$ed-up again with channel 540 present. Yay.

Remind me again, what problem did that cause with the EPG?
On my 4K Joey, it causes the cursor to get stuck on the EPG grid containing Channel 540. Here's what it looked like before:

So, with a 4K TV, Hopper 3 and Flex Pack with Locals, are any other add-on packs required to get all the channels carrying anything Olympics?

I thought the lowest package to get 4K was AT120. Did that change?
As far as I know, it depends on what content is being broadcast. I was on Flex when Planet Earth II was shown, which I watched, and BBCA (which does not exist in Flex or any add-on) was in free preview at the time if I remember correctly.

On the other hand, I never saw it for the college football, but I don't subscribe to the sports packs either.

I haven't changed/replaced out my Old Denon Rec yet! I feed HDMI to Denon then TV out to the TV. I'm guessing 4K won't pass through?

With the Hopper3 & Joey4ks, Will feeding the HDMI directly to the TV & audio out of H3/J4K to Denon for sound work or does Dish HDMI not allow audio out at the same time.

How does dish notify its customers when 4K will be available on whatever channel? Where can I find the info?

I haven't changed/replaced out my Old Denon Rec yet! I feed HDMI to Denon then TV out to the TV. I'm guessing 4K won't pass through?

With the Hopper3 & Joey4ks, Will feeding the HDMI directly to the TV & audio out of H3/J4K to Denon for sound work or does Dish HDMI not allow audio out at the same time.

How does dish notify its customers when 4K will be available on whatever channel? Where can I find the info?
You will find 4K, when available in channel 540, you just have to look. There is also some 4K PPV movies available in On Demand...
What is the model number of your Denon. Some pass 4K HDR/Dolby Vision, mine does.

A LOT of people (including myself) last year replaced a 3808CI with an X4300H, which does support 4K and even Dolby Vision (with a firmware update). You can still get a new one for under $1000. Or of course you could get this year’s model at full price. The Audyssey improvements and all the newer audio codecs are really worth it. And a Hopper 3 plays through it beautifully.

Reactions: LQQK
A LOT of people (including myself) last year replaced a 3808CI with an X4300H, which does support 4K and even Dolby Vision (with a firmware update). You can still get a new one for under $1000. Or of course you could get this year’s model at full price. The Audyssey improvements and all the newer audio codecs are really worth it. And a Hopper 3 plays through it beautifully.

Great Tip, Thanks!