4K Events Discussion Thread

There was a question in the no discussion thread as to if what was listed there was available in 4K on the Hopper 3. The answer is yes to both the Hopper 3 and the 4K Joey. The no discussion thread means just that, no discussion. All discussion should be made in this thread.
So, some of the more discussion-y posts in that thread should probably be deleted, right? Such as:

Folks, this is an informational thread. Please don't fill it with banter. When something hits the schedule I will post it. I started this thread so you don't have to look each day to see if anything is on channel 540. That way you simply need to look at this sticky thread for information.
Please keep discussion in the non sticky thread. This one is information only.
This is a non discussion thread. Pease use the discussion thread for comments,

And it doesn’t appear to be presented in HDR. If you are capable of that and have Roku 4K or a Firestick 4K use your DISH credential with the Fox Sports app, you won’t be disappointed.

And, just so it is covered, the AppleTV 4K does not have HDR for the Fox Sports app...

And, to be fair, I will admit that my own posts in that thread are also discussion-y. ;)

Reactions: charlesrshell
So, some of the more discussion-y posts in that thread should probably be deleted, right? Such as:

And, to be fair, I will admit that my own posts in that thread are also discussion-y. ;)
Um, as the unofficial moderator of that thread I’m allowed. I am sanctioned by Scott and his posse. I left your discussion-y comment in that thread because you corrected one of my errors and I acknowledged that with my correction. It was the thing to do as a courtesy. Otherwise that thread is simply to be a place to go to see what is upcoming in 4K on DISH.

Dish's website says you have to subscribe to America's Top 120 or above in order to qualify for 4K programming. Is that really the case?
I have pointed that out before. You would think that for at least the Fox events, only a subscription to the locals package would be required. I will let others weigh in here on whether or not that is actually the case, though.

I have pointed that out before. You would think that for at least the Fox events, only a subscription to the locals package would be required. I will let others weigh in here on whether or not that is actually the case, though.

I have the Dish America package. Guess I'll find out tomorrow if I can watch the Big East tourney in 4K or not. When I checked the channel guide for 3/10 and 3/11 it just said "off air" for those channels.

Reactions: pattykay
If you press 540 on your remote do you go to a 4K screen with music playing?
It says "this channel is currently unavailable or event broadcasting which you are not eligible to view". I guess with my Dish America Pack I can't watch 4K events. If I would've known that I wouldn't have upgraded to the Hopper 3 in the first place.

• Love
Reactions: pattykay
The first game of the Big East game is up on channel 540-01. It looks good, not great. So, I went to my AppleTV 4K and streamed it on the Fox Sports app. It looks great there. I had a pleasant surprise there. I saw that the Big10 game on BTN was also playing in 4K. It also looked great. So, if you are interested in the Big 10 Tournament it is available to you, provided you get Fox Sports in your regular sub and you have a package that will deliver 4K sports with your DISH credential.

I still don't understand why Dish requires such a high basic package just for access to 4K events. In the case of fmj77 above, with Dish America, it sort of makes sense, since that plan always required Dish America Silver or higher for access to the RSN's, if I remember correctly. However, the RSN's are also available with the sports add-on for the Flex Pack, and it looks like the AT120 or higher restriction would also prevent these subscribers from accessing the 4K feeds. Even if Dish added a small "4K Enabling Fee" for smaller packages that would otherwise not qualify for the 4K events, it would make more sense than the way Dish is currently doing it. People subscribe to those budget packs for a reason, and they are not going to be swayed into upgrading to a much higher basic package just to gain access to a very select few 4K events each month. It is bad enough that access to any 4K at all requires a Hopper 3, which has a higher DVR fee than many customers are paying with their grandfathered older DVR's, which already gives these subscribers a disincentive to upgrade in the first place. (And yes, I am aware that a 4K Joey could be added to a Hopper 2 for 4K access. However, the 4K Joey is typically not a free upgrade, requiring an upfront fee just for the privilege of getting a 4K client instead of a regular one. So, there is still an added cost there.) Hey Dish, how about coming up with some cheaper options for accessing the little 4K content that you do offer, such as a 4K Wally for instance?

Missing audio for the first 7 minutes of the St. John - Georgetown recorded game on 540-01. The picture has good detail. I can’t compare the color to the Fox Sports app since I only have the Dish 540-01 recording.
As I continue to watch they switched audio from the commentator to the live stadium audio. I wonder why they have stopped announcing the game.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Last edited:
I finally got around to watching the DePaul Xavier game on 540-01. Fox Sports did a much better job with the audio announcing on this game. They also did a much better job editing in extra material during the pauses. The picture is excellent.
Fox Sports missed the first 3 minutes of the second half.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Last edited:
We finally get some 4K football tomorrow. Arkansas St at Kansas St. 9AM PDT on channel 540-01.

Last edited: