4K Events Discussion Thread

I tracked my issue down to an Audio Technica mini HDMI flex M-F jumper I have been using since 2005 to “turn the corner” between my HDMI cable and the HDMI input

Isn't this jumper a completely passive device? If so, I don't see how it could have anything to do with an HDCP problem.

I would think, but at a guess, it may not have all the conductors necessary for the newer HDMI standards. It’s working fine now, so I don’t need the AT flex jumpers now. My old Samsung LED back-lit set had the HDMI connections closer to the bezel’s edge.

Reactions: TheKrell
Strange problem with TNF last night, I would change the channel to 540-1 and within 15-20 seconds would get an HDCP error. Repeatable multiple times. I have successfully watched numerous 4K broadcasts on 540-1 before. The Hopper3 is connected thru my Sony STR-DN1080 AVR. I tried all the usual reboots. Maybe time to upgrade cables even though it has worked before.

Strange problem with TNF last night, I would change the channel to 540-1 and within 15-20 seconds would get an HDCP error. Repeatable multiple times. I have successfully watched numerous 4K broadcasts on 540-1 before. The Hopper3 is connected thru my Sony STR-DN1080 AVR. I tried all the usual reboots. Maybe time to upgrade cables even though it has worked before.
I saw something like that and unplugged the HDMI cable at both sides, Hopper 3 and AVR, and replugged it and that fixed it.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Noticed this issue last night.
BUG/FEATURE...

I had setup a timer on joey2 for
NFL Football
Seek
1min early
30min late

All has been going well.

I was on the Hopper3 and
Edited timer to change
30min late to 90min late.

Last night,
Dvr chose 540-01 4k version of game to record
Instead of regular network channel.
It did not do this before.

This recording would only be watchable on H3 or J4K, NOT other joeys or DishAnyWhere.

I deleted the timer and
Created a new timer via J2.
Hoping this causes the timer to NOT chose 4k as default.

Sent from my SM-G986U using the SatelliteGuys app!

If course it is 11-12. I was actually looking at Saturday when I posted that and Saturday’s events aren’t up yet. I’ll fix it. Thanks fir keeping me on my toes!

Reactions: pattykay
Wow! I'm shocked! The colors on the 4k channel today for the titans/colts game finally looks right without having to mess with the settings on my TV (Sony X900F). This is the first time in an extremely long time that this has happened. Maybe Dish finally figured out how to send the correct metadata?

Reactions: TheKrell
Maybe it’s just my tv. But the Dish 4K channel just always looks dark to me. The Fox 4K HDR game on my Roku Ultra looks way better for some reason. It has the same clarity as the dish game but the picture is much brighter.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Same thing happened to me. Unplugged-replugged the HDMI cable at the TV and it was viewable

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Reactions: charlesrshell
Hi all,

There will be 2 FOX college 4k games at 12EST this weekend. Please let me know what the other channel number will be so I can update the chart

FS1 Illinois @ Nebraska
FOX Indiana @ Ohio State

both at 12 EST

(subject to change )

Reactions: pattykay
Noticed this issue last night.
BUG/FEATURE...

I had setup a timer on joey2 for
NFL Football
Seek
1min early
30min late

All has been going well.

I was on the Hopper3 and
Edited timer to change
30min late to 90min late.

Last night,
Dvr chose 540-01 4k version of game to record
Instead of regular network channel.
It did not do this before.

This recording would only be watchable on H3 or J4K, NOT other joeys or DishAnyWhere.

I deleted the timer and
Created a new timer via J2.
Hoping this causes the timer to NOT chose 4k as default.

FOLLOW UP....

Tonights game was set by the dvr to record on 540 4k channel...

Darn it...

Creating the timer on a joey2 did not cause the dvr to ignore 4k channel for timer.

I’m also getting HDCP errors from both my Hopper 3 and 4K Joey. Have to reboot to get it working also turn power off from my display. They must have made some type of change that obviously has bugs.

edit: on one of my devices, if I switch to another device and play a movie (that requires HDCP 2.2) and then switch back to Dish, my Hopper 3 seems to then allow... I know calling customer service on this type of issue would be pointless. I hope some Dish executive is also having problems... SJ

Last edited:
Recorded and compared the Ohio State Indiana game on Dish channel 540-01 (3840x2160 4K), TV OTA Fox channel 28-01 (720p), Dish OTA channel 28-01 (1080i), and Dish channel 28-00 (1080i) on my Sony XBR65X900E. TV.

1) The Fox OTA channel 28-01 (720p), Dish OTA channel 28-01 (1080i), and Dish channel 28-00 (1080i) all looked identical.
2) The Dish channel 540-01 (4K) was more clear but the colors were less vivid.
3) Three times out of 20 when switching back to channel 540-01 from 28-00, I received the HDCP error message. Switching back to channel 28-00 and then back to 540-01 fixed the issue each time.
4) Despite interceptions and sacks my Buckeye Ohio State team won. It was a good game. Go Buckeyes!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys