4K Events Discussion Thread

Watched the Browns Packers football game on Dish channel 540-02. The picture and colors looked fantastic. Dish has solved the problems using HDR. Dish has finally learned how to broadcast Fox Sports 4K HDR. Now Dish needs to figure out how to make their menus work with HDR. The Dish menus are all very dark when viewing the 4K HDR channel. They may need two sets of menus - HDR and SDR.

I feel sorry for Dish customers using a 4K Joey or a 4K non HDR TV since they must watch the game in 1080i on channel 154.
Dish needs to broadcast the game on both channel 540-01 in 4K SDR and channel 540-02 in 4K HDR. Of course in the past the colors on channel 540-01 were dull. So taking a HDR broadcast and converting it to SDR must not be easy.

Interesting I have D* and my guide also goes darker when I'm viewing a 4K HDR channel (104 105 etc) . Wonder if it's something with HDR and trying to load an interface on top? Idk just making a random guess ...

Reactions: charlesrshell
Yes, at last! The Browns/Packers game looked great on 540-02. (Except for the final score that is) No error messages, colors good, saturation good; on my LG OLED no less. The end of the world must be near! :eek:

Any word on if the CFP semifinals will be broadcast?
CFP is on ESPN and DISH does not have a 4K contract with ESPN so, no, CFP will not be 4K on DISH. It doesn't appear that ESPN will be airing the playoff games in 4K anyway. Same way with the Championship game. ESPN may, and that is a big 'may' do the that game in 4K but DISH will not have it available. To be clear, last year ESPN did have the Championship game available in 4K on services that have ESPN 4K but only from the above camera.

CFP is on ESPN and DISH does not have a 4K contract with ESPN so, no, CFP will not be 4K on DISH. It doesn't appear that ESPN will be airing the playoff games in 4K anyway. Same way with the Championship game. ESPN may, and that is a big 'may' do the that game in 4K but DISH will not have it available. To be clear, last year ESPN did have the Championship game available in 4K on services that have ESPN 4K but only from the above camera.

Interesting. Thank you for the in depth response

I thought sometime in early Dec it changed ..

Something about "fox hdr" new format ... I think there is a post above somewhere with more details but I imagine all future fox sports events will be on -02

See post #1540

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Foxbat
I’m watching the Purdue Boilermakers give me maximum 4K HDR goodness as they go into double overtime at the University of Illinois.

Edit: 4K HDR Bonus: Notre Dame at Howard, 2:30 - 5:00pm EST / 11:30am - 2:00pm PST.

Last edited:
Reactions: charlesrshell
Checked out Sunday’s Eagle’s 4K game on channel 540-02 from my Hopper 3s. One Hopper 3 worked great that has HDMI cable connected from Hopper to TV. On the other Hopper 3 that has HDMI cable going from Hopper to 2x4 HDMI switch and then HDMI to TV I would get the popup window 1540 Attention Format Not Supported. Pressing the skip forward button one time got the program working. Would HDMI cables and/or the HDMI switch cause the 1540 popup?

Strange or did I miss it ??

The winter Olympics schedule doesn't mention dish ...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Neither is DirecTV, a lot of others like Charter do not offer 4K, but DirecTV and Dish do, so my guess is they did not pay the extra fees that NBC wanted.

If you really want the Winter Games in 4K, sign up for YTTV for a limited time, no contract.