4K FTA HD Receivers?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
The wetek even has gigibyte ethernet! Or at least it says so in the specs...

Wow gigibyte ethernet, I suppose they mean Gigabit Ethernet. That would be nice for LAN streaming of 4K video. I tested some Sony 4K 10bit demos and one was 85 megabit per second. So I can see this surpassing the "Fast Ethernet" standard (100 megabit) quite easily. Does the wetek have a PleX or DLNA client? After all UHD Blu-Ray top standards allow for 100GB with 128 Mbit/s, even the middle standard states 108 Mbit/s. I cant understand why the Roku 4 doesn't have Gigabit Ethernet.

According to the graphics in their web page there is a PLEX icon in one of the screens.

Gigibyte ethernet... maybe that is fiberchannel? That would be cool... but I would have to get a new switch/router! :)

Looking forward to seeing the Manhattan they are working on.

Yup, we have a SoC, so now we wait for someone to build a box with a tuner in it that uses it. This PC streaming to Roku4 solution is getting old. Maybe I should experiment with the old "Media Center" on Windows 7. One thing I have noticed with the Roku 4, If you have it set to 10bit it will NOT display everything in 4K that is 4K. Crazy box...

here it is! ;)

Hi3798C-V200-box.jpg

Its a HI3798C V200 prototype. You can read more about it here. The tech nerd in me would love to know how the HI3798C V200 compares to the Amlogic S912 or S905 version used in the Wetek Play2. One advantage Wetek has over the competition is its DRM certification which allows services like Netflix to stream in HD and possibly 4k. Beyond Kodi, running Android opens up a lot of possibilities but for most of us it will probably be the S2 tuner capabilities and software implementation. I'm still hoping Titanium has a surprise in the works the day his non-compete expires. Is 4k HEVC 10bit, 4:2:2 h.264, 16/32apsk, ACM and good blindscan too much to ask for? ;)

I cant understand why the Roku 4 doesn't have Gigabit Ethernet.
That's easy:
  • Because the UHD that the Roku 4 can play doesn't much exceed 25Mbps (the high rates that are spoken of are related to HDR and high-zoot multichannel sound technologies that the Roku 4 doesn't support).
  • A vanishingly small percentage of customers have broadband connections that can sustain such speeds.
  • More than a few have their Roku 4 connected, regardless of how ill-conceived the concept, via Wi-fi.

The tech nerd in me would love to know how the HI3798C V200 compares to the Amlogic S912 or S905 version used in the Wetek Play2.
The HI3798C V200 would appear to be right in there with the S905X. The S912 has more CPU cores.

Wow gigibyte ethernet, I suppose they mean Gigabit Ethernet. That would be nice for LAN streaming of 4K video. I tested some Sony 4K 10bit demos and one was 85 megabit per second. So I can see this surpassing the "Fast Ethernet" standard (100 megabit) quite easily. Does the wetek have a PleX or DLNA client? After all UHD Blu-Ray top standards allow for 100GB with 128 Mbit/s, even the middle standard states 108 Mbit/s. I cant understand why the Roku 4 doesn't have Gigabit Ethernet.

I'm confused. Why do people make a big deal about needing Gb connections when sources like Netflix says you only need 25 Mb service for UHD? Combined with a buffer you would only need 25 Mb service? https://help.netflix.com/en/node/306

The main advantage of having GbE is for in network file transfer/streaming and it may also allow for faster downloads, web browsing etc. On a Roku not sure how any of these are currently important but they would be more relevant on an Android STB box

I would like a SATA connector inside the receiver, recording to USB drives is OK but if I were designing the receiver it would have internal storage drive capability.

On a Roku not sure how any of these are currently important but they would be more relevant on an Android STB box
Typically only if you're moving mass quantities of LAN-based content and that's not that easy to come by. Most STBs are still relatively limited in their mass Storage support.

Also headroom when streaming within a LAN from/to multiple devices while doing file transfers... And of course much faster to move large files such as .TS files for transcoding. I have feeble internet bandwidth here at best so internet speed is irrelevant in my case.

Reactions: BigRyan
Gigabit Ethernet gets us above 100 megabit. For those of us that use the Roku for a PleX client streaming movies to it. 100mb is a bit to close for comfort. NASA Thermonuclear Art for example is 200GB for a 17Min video. So streaming "LEGIT" 4K videos will not always work at 100mbps. Also common place is ripping blu-rays so that they can be streamed to PleX. As I said before a few of the 4K demos I tested were 75-80 mbps and those were just demos. Grande com is offering 400mbps internet around these parts for like 45$ per month. I'm just saying that a device released in the year 2016 as a 4K device and Gigabit network adapters for PC selling for $8, just seems like a mistake to not include the "Standard" Ethernet connection used today. They actually came into use in 1999.

I'm just saying Roku says "next generation of streaming technology" on the box, yet has 100mbps Ethernet (and USB 2.0). I cant be the only one annoyed by this.

So my advice to any one thinking about a Roku 4, as an owner of one and also Roku 3, 1, and Stick, Get the Nvidia SHIELD. It has all of these features and even supports 24p playback.

Reactions: N6BY and mr3p
Guys, enough with this talk.. Your giving me an inferiority complex. I am limping at 1.5 megabits. Aren't cband'ers supposed to live in the outskirts?!?! I would think a lot of people would be limited like me.. :sorrow

Exactly why gigabit "LAN" is so important streaming movies and videos from the PC across the LAN is the rural way! Buy used Blu-Rays and TV shows on Blu-Ray, and record shows from the C-Band and archive all this media to PleX. Now you have your own NetFlix in your house. But you could have more 4K content (UHD Blu-Ray, NASA UHD ect), pretty easily.

I'm building my library now, so once I get my dark sky site, I will be ready.

Also headroom when streaming within a LAN from/to multiple devices while doing file transfers... And of course much faster to move large files such as .TS files for transcoding.
We are talking about STBs with USB hard drives versus full-blown media vaults with RAID here.

Adding a supercharger to a scooter still leaves you riding a scooter.

Reactions: Radioguy41
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)

Latest posts