4K install and equipment question

Status
Please reply by conversation.
D* is the only game in town as far as Cable/ Sat delivered 4k, so if it suxs, its bettewr than what the rest has, which is NOTHING ...

You all can talk about Netflix and 4k all you want, but your not looking at like products.

You might want to check before making those statements. Dish has much of the same special event 4k sports programming that directv does.[/QUOTE]

Says you're wrong, but it may be biased...

2018 Best TV Service for 4K — Beware, Some Providers Don't Support 4K

I'm enjoying some 4K service via NetFlix and Amazon Prime. I bought the new ATV4K receiver, but am a bit disappoined with it in that I can't make closed caption work with it. Last night after viewing another episode of Bosch via ATV4K, I pulled up Amazon Prime on my Smart LG set and opened the Amazon Prime app. Then I ran the same Bosch episode and the closed caption popped up. Guess my Apple TV with be gathering a bit of dust.

Until I can buy only what I want without all the other commercial heavy, repetitious programming, I’ll stick to basic cable bundle (for the internet discount), OTA, Amazon and the occasional Netflix. Paying a premium to Dish or Directv to see 1 or 2 4k events of interest each week, is not worth it.

Not sure if I'm paying extra for the limited 4K service on DTV. My total biill including HBO is $102. Of that, it says there is an $8 charge for equipment/services.

After doing some research on this I couldn't find a clear answer. For Directv, does it matter if the coax is copper clad or solid copper?
Only from the dish to the power inserter, and only on long runs. Clad is good enough for most installs.

Thats up to you .... the cost can be substantially different.
Copper Clad will work in most instances and be much cheaper and easier to find.
Yeah ...

While both will work fine at the lengths the OP states. I suppose if one wants to really get technical as to whats best, it would be "solid copper core" (SCC) coax for a first run between the PI and the LNB for the sake of the dc voltage needed to supply the LNB.

And then "copper clad steel" (CCS) coax for all runs everywhere past the PI since there is no need for dc continuity and SWiM only uses RF, which due to "skin effect" RF current wants to flow near the surface of the center conductor anyway and away from the core.

So the larger copper surface area of the center conductor of CCS coax is better for this application.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

So the larger copper surface area of the center conductor of CCS coax is better for this application.

Huh? The surface area of the copper is the same whether it is solid copper or copper coated steel - it is 18 gauge in either case so the diameter/surface area is no different. The only thing that makes CCS "better" when power isn't being carried is the price.

Personally I'd use solid copper everywhere if I was wiring my house. You never know what the future will hold, though I'd say the future almost certainly holds category cable being used for pretty much everything - I use it not just for network but IR, power, HDMI, fire/burglar alarm wire, thermostatic control, and balanced line level audio in various places. So I'd run a lot more cat 6a than I thought I'd ever need and the bare minimum of anything else like coax...just make DAMN sure the cat 6a is solid copper because the cheap stuff ain't!

If my service address is in LA will I be able to receive my local channels everywhere or does that only work if I pay for the distant networks service?
You will get ABC, NBC, CBS, and Fox everywhere in the US. The other locals for LA are on spot beams.

LA.
I just want to make sure I'll get the major networks everywhere in the US while in the RV without having to apply for the distant networks service.
To note ...

You'll also receive local KTLA's (CW) SD feed nationwide too.

As it serves as the DNS west feed for the CW programming ...

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)