4K install and equipment question

Status
Please reply by conversation.
D* is the only game in town as far as Cable/ Sat delivered 4k, so if it suxs, its bettewr than what the rest has, which is NOTHING ...

You all can talk about Netflix and 4k all you want, but your not looking at like products.

You might want to check before making those statements. Dish has much of the same special event 4k sports programming that directv does.[/QUOTE]
Was unaware of that ...
So, are they any further along ?

I think the premier league soccer in 4k is only on directv, but the stuff like the masters, football and olympics in 4k are on both services.
So they both are in the same spot ...
Looks like DISH just waited to see D* do it and how it was accepted, before jumping in ...

Now had the shoe been on the other foot, all those people would have been bitching endlessly that D* didn't have it, and what were they waiting on ....

Reactions: osu1991
I read that DTV is putting up new birds with greater bandwidth ability in the near future so maybe we'll see more 4K service from their satellites soon. One of the most annoying things about DTV's 4K service on channel 106 is the "pop" like it's changing gears to 4K mode.

There is no concept of "bandwidth" from a satellite, at least not for the "bent pipe" transponders Directv satellites use . They send RF signals, all the modulation of digital data into RF happens on the ground for transmission and on the ground again within your receiver for reception. The satellite just receives and amplifies the analog RF signal, and has no clue what data is encoded.

Directv plans to use reverse band (which is just a slightly lower frequency than Ka lo) for 4K eventually, and combine two (or maybe three...not clear yet) transponders together for great efficiency of distributing 4K, but they are successfully delivering 4K using ordinary Ka frequencies and ordinary Ka/Ku (non reverse band) LNBs today.

The "pop" you get is probably HDCP 2.2 negotiation. Not really all that different from TVs switching from say 720p to 1080i which for most isn't instantaneous, which is why TVs usually take a bit longer to switch between channels when in native mode (though newer ones are a lot better than ones 10 years old)

You might want to check before making those statements. Dish has much of the same special event 4k sports programming that directv does.
I just checked the 4K sports channel on D* (ch 106) and it's showing the Brewers and Cubs at 7PM CDT on 4/26, Manchester United/Arsenal on 4/29 at 10:15AM CDT, the Yankees and Red Sox on 5/1 at 7PM and Chelsea/Liverpool on 5/6 at 10:15AM. Is Dish also carrying those 4K sporting events?

There is no concept of "bandwidth" from a satellite, at least not for the "bent pipe" transponders Directv satellites use . They send RF signals, all the modulation of digital data into RF happens on the ground for transmission and on the ground again within your receiver for reception. The satellite just receives and amplifies the analog RF signal, and has no clue what data is encoded.

Directv plans to use reverse band (which is just a slightly lower frequency than Ka lo) for 4K eventually, and combine two (or maybe three...not clear yet) transponders together for great efficiency of distributing 4K, but they are successfully delivering 4K using ordinary Ka frequencies and ordinary Ka/Ku (non reverse band) LNBs today.

The "pop" you get is probably HDCP 2.2 negotiation. Not really all that different from TVs switching from say 720p to 1080i which for most isn't instantaneous, which is why TVs usually take a bit longer to switch between channels when in native mode (though newer ones are a lot better than ones 10 years old)
Thanks for the info Slice ...

Fwiw, I didn't post that above that you commented on, not sure why my name is associated with it.

Nor did I post , post 59, although my name is next to it.

I just checked the 4K sports channel on D* (ch 106) and it's showing the Brewers and Cubs at 7PM CDT on 4/26, Manchester United/Arsenal on 4/29 at 10:15AM CDT, the Yankees and Red Sox on 5/1 at 7PM and Chelsea/Liverpool on 5/6 at 10:15AM. Is Dish also carrying those 4K sporting events?

Go check the 4k programming thread. I really couldn’t care less anymore.

Until I can buy only what I want without all the other commercial heavy, repetitious programming, I’ll stick to basic cable bundle (for the internet discount), OTA, Amazon and the occasional Netflix. Paying a premium to Dish or Directv to see 1 or 2 4k events of interest each week, is not worth it.

Until I can buy only what I want without all the other commercial heavy, repetitious programming, I’ll stick to basic cable bundle (for the internet discount), OTA, Amazon and the occasional Netflix. Paying a premium to Dish or Directv to see 1 or 2 4k events of interest each week, is not worth it.
Just asking since you’re the one that said Dish had much of the same 4K events programming that Directv has. I looked at the thread you mentioned and don’t see where Dish as most of the same, they didn’t even cover the Masters which Directv had.

Reactions: longhorn23

If THATS the Only thing your getting from DISH or D* I can understand ...

When I got my internet /phone set up, I got the phone because the internet was cheaper being bundled ....
I talked to them not long ago and I mentioned that and they said they no longer give bundled rates (for what I have, which explains why my prices rise) I think its mis interpretation when they do away with stuff without any info letting you know about it.

Dish does not have as much live 4k sporting events as directv. A few of the golf tournaments like Pebble Beach were exclusive programing from AT&T. I am not sure about the NBA, MLB, or college football games. Dish might care those but I am not sure.

Just asking since you’re the one that said Dish had much of the same 4K events programming that Directv has. I looked at the thread you mentioned and don’t see where Dish as most of the same, they didn’t even cover the Masters which Directv had.

Im just trying to keep up and saying directv is the only one that has 4k programming is incorrect. As I said I don’t care anymore. I watched some college football in 4k from Dish on my sisters system, that was the last I’ve paid any attention to as I don’t care about mlb, nba, soccer or the Olympics and frankly nfl is getting pretty low on the list too.

Different things for different folks, if your happy with it, enjoy it.

They can, but Directv may not officially support what you end up with (though it will probably work unless the cable runs are quite long) What equipment, cable length and split locations are you talking about?

They can, but Directv may not officially support what you end up with (though it will probably work unless the cable runs are quite long) What equipment, cable length and split locations are you talking about?
A Genie and two HR24 DVRs.
The first two-way splitter would feed the Genie directly and a line that needs to feed the two HR24s on the other side of the house. The second two-way splitter would feed the two HR24s in adjacent rooms but far away from the Genie and the first splitter. The idea is to run a single line from the first splitter to the second which would be near the two HR24s so I can avoid having to run two parallel lines from the splitter that feeds the Genie to the two HR24s. The run is between 40 and 50 feet long.

Few people have houses large enough that runs inside the house will be too long. It is only when you are running to outbuildings that you may have problems.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts