4K Joey

jackson85

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 13, 2012
Robinson, Illinois, United States
I am trying to decide whether or not to do an upgrade from a regular Joey to a Joey for a 4K TV. What's the benefits of having the 4K Joey, if there are no channels with 4K viewing? I know that's Dish's goal or goal's, and the 50.00 upgrade is not that much, but without the networks carrying 4K, what is the point?

I am trying to decide whether or not to do an upgrade from a regular Joey to a Joey for a 4K TV. What's the benefits of having the 4K Joey, if there are no channels with 4K viewing? I know that's Dish's goal or goal's, and the 50.00 upgrade is not that much, but without the networks carrying 4K, what is the point?
On Demand has 4K. Netflix has 4K and Dish does broadcast certain events and occasional programming on specified channels in 4K.

On Demand has 4K. Netflix has 4K and Dish does broadcast certain events and occasional programming on specified channels in 4K.
So, would you recommend it? I know that you are an installer. Are other Dish customers who also have the 4K Joey Happ and Satisfied with it?

So, would you recommend it? I know that you are an installer. Are other Dish customers who also have the 4K Joey Happ and Satisfied with it?
I'll be honest, I've only installed 3, ever. I think if they didn't cost $50, there'd be more. BUT, if the $50 bucks is not a big deal, I'd get one

There is none. Use your TV's Smart apps or Roku or whatever that will give you HDR or Dolby Vision/Dolby Atmos with Netflix and Amazon. That $50 could be better spent elsewhere.

I don't know if it is still true but I paid the extra $50 for it just to get a faster Joey and I can say the Joey 4K performs at 90% or better of the level of the Hopper 3 it is connected to.

Same as hipkat, I've only installed 3 4k joeys ever. Not sure if people just don't know about them, don't care, or don't want to spend the extra $50. It does seem that most of my customers have their 4k tv in the living room, which is where the hopper 3 will typically go, and that's a 4k receiver also. I guess the need isn't really there yet.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using the SatelliteGuys app!

The Joey 3 is just as fast as a Hopper 3. :)

I am getting ready to take the plunge on a H3 with 5 Joeys of some kind (still have 1 522 and 2 625s). Was leaning toward the 4K ones as in my mind they would have to be more powerful. I do not have any 4K TV's at the moment, so that isn't an issue. I just wanted the most bang for the buck. May have to rethink and just get Joey 3s.

I am getting ready to take the plunge on a H3 with 5 Joeys of some kind (still have 1 522 and 2 625s). Was leaning toward the 4K ones as in my mind they would have to be more powerful. I do not have any 4K TV's at the moment, so that isn't an issue. I just wanted the most bang for the buck. May have to rethink and just get Joey 3s.

The Joey 3 is the way to go and don’t let the technician use Joey 2’s. Some guys are using those because. They are interchangeable on a work order.

Like Hipkat said IMHO Joey 3's are the way to go.