5.1 from computer???

Kevinw

Just a regular guy
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Dec 2, 2003
Jacksonville, FL
I have a Dell Inspiron 546s, It has VIA VT1708s integrated 5.1 channel, high definition audio. How do I integrate it with my home audio when i only has 1 3.5 mini output?

If you can depend on Dell for one thing it's cheapness. Might be a 5.1 or 7.1 channel compatible chipset but they didn't include any way to get that signal off of the mainboard in a digital form. You can use audio out jacks for speakers or other analog output.

Looking at the users guide (http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/insp535st/en/setgde/F957NOD.pdf pages 18/19) I see green, silver, black and orange mini connectors. Each of these allows you to connect speakers for surround sound. Green=front L/R, silver=side L/R, black=rear L/R and orange=center/subwoofer.

The lack of a SPDIF coax or optical connector is also obvious.

Good luck!

Actually the outputs you are looking at are for the 545s. The 546s only has an IN, Out and a MIC input. Which makes me wonder what's the point of 5.1 unless it does output through the HDMI?

The 546s only has an IN, Out and a MIC input.
Those jacks have to be there for AC97 compliance.
What their actual function is, is determined by the driver you install.
If the manual says in can output multichannel, each of those jacks will be the output for two speakers: (FL, FR); (SL,SR); (Center, LFE).
Might be a 5.1 or 7.1 channel compatible chipset but they didn't include any way to get that signal off of the mainboard in a digital form.
7.1 cannot be output in digital form (using consumer equipment) any way except HDMI (bundled with video) regardless of player, PC or standalone.

Diogen.

I don't have one but I was able to find the manual which is where I got my possibly erroneous information.

I guess another thing you can depend on Dell for, is vagueness in their documentation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)