Google Developer Conference, May 19-20: What to expect?

diogen

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 16, 2007
Wonder what the first day will bring us?

So far it is bringing us a real bargain for stock buyers, hitting $490 a share.

Note- all stocks are hitting all time lows due to the European market crises. Many companies are trading at bargain basement prices regardless of their strengths.

One rumor I have seen is that Google may bring You Tube to regular TVs. This could blow their advertising base wide open and establish yet another paradigm shift in the way advertising is done on regular TV. That will make Broadcast TV Networks and stations cry in pain, again.

Still rumour stage, but the recently acquired VP8 codec is expected to be open sourced.
And it is official
Google launches open WebM web video format based on VP8 (update: hardware partners) -- Engadget
... just 10 minutes ago the link was dead.

Very ambitious, I think.
Lots of support with - understandably - Microsoft and Intel missing.

Very interesting to hear Apple's comments - will they join Google or the group Jobs promised to sue them...

Matroska container is getting official recognition, yeahhhh...:)

Diogen.

Interesting observation: when talking about collaboration with VMWare (cloud and stuff) the Google exec is using an Apple PC running Chrome...
And their "200-keystrokes-app" runs over wireless between an Android handset and an iPad...

Diogen.

EDIT: Keynote ended. Looks like Android is going to be tomorrow's topic. Today was more corporate interest talk...

Last edited:
Comments about WebM
Major Browser Vendors Launch WebM Free Open Video Project | Webmonkey
Tim didn’t patent HTML, I didn’t patent CSS and Brendan didn’t patent JavaScript

Matroska[VP8(video)+Vorbis(audio)] for HTML5. The interesting part, Flash player will be able to handle this!
That must be good enough for Apple to ban it!:)

And it's BSD-style license!

Chrome, Firefox and Opera support it already... IE9 support coming...

Diogen.

Second day keynote - Android:

-100,000+ activations daily
-180,000 developers
-50,000+ applications
-21 OEMs
-48 countries
-59 carriers
-60+ handsets

FROYO announced
-2-5 times speed increase (JIT compiler)
-2-3 times Javascript performance
-V8 (the open video standard) on Android
-New browser with MyLocation and camera API in it
-Tethering (yes!)

Apps on SD card!

Apps browsable by PC.

Downloading to PC and wirelessly and automatically - onto your Android device!

Diogen.

Last edited:
I think this is true enough to deserve its own post

Why Google made Android?

If we did not act, we faced a draconian future.
Where one man, one company, one carrier was the future.
--------- Google

Diogen.

Google TV - to merge the TV and Web. Search across both.

Sounds like receiver type device, with HDMI in (for cable and/or sat box) and out.
Ethernet (wired and wireless) built-in. Full Chrome browser. With Flash!

New YouTube: looks like a marriage between Microsoft Media Centre and YouTube content including movies.

Diogen.

Last edited:
I'm not sure it's a TV device, I think it's basically a TV OS, or integrated with other set top boxes, could be wrong.

Like they said, if you have to hit an input button, you lose 90% of the people because they don't know how to get back.

Looks like the Google "device" can be easily integrated into DVD/BD players (BestBuy) or directly into TVs (Sony).

Diogen.

12:37p ET May 20, 2010 (MarketWatch)
SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) -- Google Inc. on Thursday used its developers' conference to introduce its new Google TV technology, which the company said will "create a single, seamless experience" between watching TV and accessing the Internet. Google said the new service will include a search function that will allow a user to find content on their TV systems and across the Web. Google shares were down 3.7% at $476.31.

An example of the "Google Box" from Logitech

5-20-10-googletv05.jpg

Taken from here
http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/20/logitechs-google-tv-companion-box-includes-smartphone-apps-we/

The interesting part: it comes with an app that converts your Android handset (or iPhone for that matter!) into a wireless Harmony remote...

Diogen.

So.... Summer 2011? :(
It looks like Google TV will be open sourced by then.

First devices using this new API will be released this fall...

google-io-2010-2-0916-rm-eng.jpg

Here is more
Live from the Google I/O 2010 day 2 keynote! -- Engadget

And in more details
Android-based Google TV coming to living rooms this fall

Diogen.

EDIT:
To get the look and feel of the Google TV box would be possible for HTPC users within weeks:
Google is going to release the new YouTube interface in this time frame.

Also, after being open sourced developers will be able to write their own applications interacting with TV feeds!

Now we just have to wait a few weeks to have explained how Apple invented this... :)

Last edited:
So I am sold more or less, just wondering how it all really works... IR emitters are very 1990. It all seemed pretty responsive in the demo when the bluetooth worked.

Just wonder about the costs, and how does Google make money off of all of this stuff, I haven't seen an ad yet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts