Ubuntu

DodgerKing

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
SoCal
Anybody using Linux? I got another laptop from my work so I decided to install Ubuntu on my old laptop just to play around with it.

What do you guys think of Linux? I know it is very limited as little software is compatible with it? Are there any cool things I can download or use on it? Can Open Office read my PowerPoint Slides?

Cannot connect via WiFi. Have to use LAN. The WiFi indicator light will not even go on. I probably need a driver that is compatible with Linux?

I've used Ubuntu as my primary OS for about 18 months now, and as my sole OS for the last year. I'm still playing with the newest release and so far am extremely pleased with it. Right now, my computer goes from powered off to fully operational and functional in under 30 seconds, several of which are me entering my password to log in. WiFi can be tricky on any version of linux, but Ubuntu Forums is a great place to get started and get your questions answered.

I got the WiFi working. I justed needed to download the codec and I could not do it at work (smart filter blocked it).

I am using 10.04 now. Downloaded a bunch of Gnome and Ubuntu tweaks, apps, add-ons, ex. So far I am very impressed

Any cool apps or tweaks you use?

The first thing I did is move the window controls to the top right side of the bar.

DodgerKing,

I've been using Linux for years. The only time I use Windows is when I have specific applications that are Windows-only. As more things move to the web, it will be less necessary to pay for Windows.

Many of the applications that run on Linux also run on Windows. Among others, I use Firefox (browser), Thunderbird (email), and OpenOffice.org (equivalents for most of Microsoft Office). These look the same on Linux and Windows.

Your comment that "it is very limited as little software is compatible with it" is true only in the context of software specifically written for Windows. That software, of course, will not work. However, there are replacements on Linux for almost all Windows applications. There is a project called WINE which allows some Windows software to run under Linux. I haven't used it, because the native Linux applications work fine for me.

For troubleshooting, google is your friend. I also like Ubuntu Forums.

And, no, I don't hate Windows or Microsoft or BIll Gates. I have multiple computers in multiple locations. I find that Ubuntu works for me, and I don't have the expense of Windows.

In any case, welcome to Linux. If you're interested in where "free as in freedom" software started, check out The GNU Operating System. Most of the operating system called Linux is actually GNU software. Only the kernel is technically "Linux".

Last edited:
As I have been playing with it for just 1 day I have been pleasantly surprised at what it can do. I opened up all of my Office PowerPoints, Word Docs, and Excel sheets on Open Office with no problems at all.

I am currently posting this using FF on Linux.

I have done a lot of tweaks to the settings to make it easier for me to use.

I will try out Thunderbird. Can it do exchange mail?

As a teacher it is still somewhat limited on resources, or at least I have not found many. My docs that use MathType do not show the equations. My grading software is not linux compatible. Geometer's Sketchpad does not work on Linux (at least the copy I have is Mac and Windows only). My SmartBoard software does work though (that is cool).

ETA: As far as Windows and MS software, I get all of it for free as well. My brother in law works for a MS certified partner company. They get licenses for thousands of copies as part of the trainings they do and always have extra copies.

Last edited:
I liked the look and feel but could never get any programs to install which irked me allot. I've never had a ton of time to put into learning what amounts to another new language and having learned the old mac os pre 10. days I'll have to wait a little longer to figure it out.

Two of the guys I work with are linux junkies and one is hard core but the lesser has been fighting to get things to work whether its a sound card or a net connection or something else.

ooo will load Powerpoint presentations, but they don't always work 100%. The included presentation program is pretty cool, but perhaps not as powerful.

The only issue I have with my PowerPoint slides is, since they are all math lessons I cannot get all of my diagrams (created on Geometer's Sketchpad) and equations (created on MathType) to show on OpenOffice Presentation.

This is not that big of a deal since I just use my other laptop running Windows 7 to display PowerPoint on my smartboard.

I don't know much about Ubuntu, but there is an educational version call Edubuntu (Welcome to Edubuntu! | edubuntu) that might be some help to you. It claims to have tools for teachers as well (I haven't used it personally).
Thanks...

I've seen that already. However, those tools are mostly geared toward elementary. The problem I am having isn't so much about creating symbols and equations, it is getting OpenOffice to read the symbols and equations created on Office, MathType, and Geometer's Sketchpad.

DodgerKing,

I think that Thunderbird or Evolution will work with Exchange if IMAP is turned on in Exchange.

I don't know what the computer folks are like at your work, but they may not be sympathetic to connecting non-approved systems to your network. So, be careful, particularly with trifling around trying to connect to Exchange. If you've checked and they're fine, all the better, of course.

The specialized software you're mentioning is a classic example of why Windows is needed. I live on a boat, and my navigation software (Nobeltec) is Windows-only. It uses Microsoft's class libraries, so there's not an easy way to port to Linux. There is hope with software that runs on Mac, however. Internally, Mac is Unix (some BSD, don't remember which). It would be "Easy" (TM) to port from BSD to Linux. In the case of OpenOffice.org, it will not do some corner-case things, like you have mentioned. It's just a question of the right tool for the job. I don't do anything exotic with my computers, so it works fine for me.

As many folks have discovered, some hardware lacks support on Linux. In many cases, much of the smarts in the hardware is actually in the driver or firmware that's loaded into the device at startup. This makes it easier to fix problems and add capabilities without changing the hardware. Manufacturers keep the specifications to their hardware secret for many reasons, not the least of which is competitive advantage. That keeps Linux developers from writing a driver, because they don't know what the hardware does. The driver for the hardware must be written specifically for the operating system that the hardware is running. Some vendors are better than others when it comes to supporting Linux. In my personal experience, add-on hardware is less well supported than what comes with the laptop or desktop motherboard. That is, the on-board sound and video will probably work fine, but add-on cards may not.

One other thing to keep an eye out for, is Microsoft Internet Explorer specific websites. I only have a couple that I need Internet Explorer for, but they absolutely will not work with Firefox, regardless of running it on Linux or Windows. My cellular phone company's website goes into a loop using Firefox, and keeps redisplaying the same page. My power company only displays one tab out of ten on their customer service page. It's amazing that they've set their sites up to not work in Firefox, since I visit scores of other sites regularly that DO work.

DodgerKing,

I think that Thunderbird or Evolution will work with Exchange if IMAP is turned on in Exchange.

I don't know what the computer folks are like at your work, but they may not be sympathetic to connecting non-approved systems to your network. So, be careful, particularly with trifling around trying to connect to Exchange. If you've checked and they're fine, all the better, of course.

The specialized software you're mentioning is a classic example of why Windows is needed. I live on a boat, and my navigation software (Nobeltec) is Windows-only. It uses Microsoft's class libraries, so there's not an easy way to port to Linux. There is hope with software that runs on Mac, however. Internally, Mac is Unix (some BSD, don't remember which). It would be "Easy" (TM) to port from BSD to Linux. In the case of OpenOffice.org, it will not do some corner-case things, like you have mentioned. It's just a question of the right tool for the job. I don't do anything exotic with my computers, so it works fine for me.

As many folks have discovered, some hardware lacks support on Linux. In many cases, much of the smarts in the hardware is actually in the driver or firmware that's loaded into the device at startup. This makes it easier to fix problems and add capabilities without changing the hardware. Manufacturers keep the specifications to their hardware secret for many reasons, not the least of which is competitive advantage. That keeps Linux developers from writing a driver, because they don't know what the hardware does. The driver for the hardware must be written specifically for the operating system that the hardware is running. Some vendors are better than others when it comes to supporting Linux. In my personal experience, add-on hardware is less well supported than what comes with the laptop or desktop motherboard. That is, the on-board sound and video will probably work fine, but add-on cards may not.

One other thing to keep an eye out for, is Microsoft Internet Explorer specific websites. I only have a couple that I need Internet Explorer for, but they absolutely will not work with Firefox, regardless of running it on Linux or Windows. My cellular phone company's website goes into a loop using Firefox, and keeps redisplaying the same page. My power company only displays one tab out of ten on their customer service page. It's amazing that they've set their sites up to not work in Firefox, since I visit scores of other sites regularly that DO work.
I can do it myself. They somewhat know and trust me.

As far as FF, I only use FF with Windows as well. I have not used IE in years.

I'm glad you're enjoying Ubuntu. Linux in general and Ubuntu in particular has gotten much better than it used to be when it comes to hardware detection. Ubuntu 10.04 automatically detects my desktop's aftermarket wireless card and doesn't have any trouble finding our wireless HP 4500 series printer/scanner/copier. Hell, wireless scanning even works. The Nouveau drivers in the kernel let me use a flat panel monitor for installation of Ubuntu. Previously, I would have to use a CRT monitor or install the Nvidia drivers manually before I would get anything besides a black screen. Ubuntu has spun off several other distros, at least two of which are worthwhile. Main Page - Linux Mint is sometimes described as what Ubuntu should be. CrunchBang Linux - A nimble Openbox Linux distro is an awesome little distro for low spec machines. The Crunchbang devs are a little behind on their releases while they transition over to a Debian base but the final result should be worth the wait. So long as I'm in ranting fanboi mode, REVOLUTION OS and Free for All | wayner.org are good sources of info on the beginnings of Linux.

As far as Windows and MS software, I get all of it for free as well. My brother in law works for a MS certified partner company. They get licenses for thousands of copies as part of the trainings they do and always have extra copies.
Just keep in mind, that licenses provided by Microsoft under their Partner Program are usually for internal business use only. These licenses cannot be resold, transferred to relatives, or used for personal use. Just because you have a volume license key that works for software activation doesn't necessarily mean you are legally licensed to use the software.

Just keep in mind, that licenses provided by Microsoft under their Partner Program are usually for internal business use only. These licenses cannot be resold, transferred to relatives, or used for personal use. Just because you have a volume license key that works for software activation doesn't necessarily mean you are legally licensed to use the software.
I am aware of that.

Most of what he provides is for internal use. They do order a lot of individual licenses for personal use in addition to site licensed software for many of their trainings. What he gives me is legit. He and his employees do get copies that they can use personally as well.

I'm glad you're enjoying Ubuntu. Linux in general and Ubuntu in particular has gotten much better than it used to be when it comes to hardware detection. Ubuntu 10.04 automatically detects my desktop's aftermarket wireless card and doesn't have any trouble finding our wireless HP 4500 series printer/scanner/copier. Hell, wireless scanning even works. The Nouveau drivers in the kernel let me use a flat panel monitor for installation of Ubuntu. Previously, I would have to use a CRT monitor or install the Nvidia drivers manually before I would get anything besides a black screen. Ubuntu has spun off several other distros, at least two of which are worthwhile. Main Page - Linux Mint is sometimes described as what Ubuntu should be. CrunchBang Linux - A nimble Openbox Linux distro is an awesome little distro for low spec machines. The Crunchbang devs are a little behind on their releases while they transition over to a Debian base but the final result should be worth the wait. So long as I'm in ranting fanboi mode, REVOLUTION OS and Free for All | wayner.org are good sources of info on the beginnings of Linux.
I look the look of the UI on mint. Maybe I will try that one as well?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)