Ubuntu

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

KE4EST

SatelliteGuys Is My Second Home
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 9, 2004
EM75xb
I have been experimenting with Ubuntu for a couple of months now and so far like it, but I see I have a learning curve to go since I don't use it everyday.

I need someone to tell me very simply a couple things. Years ago when I actually wrote programs in early C and Quick and Visual Basic I ran Linux a lot. I got away from it and got lazy. I have been Googleing and still not getting what I want. Here is what I want to know right now.

I am running firefox 11 for Ubuntu, I downloaded firefox 13 beta and now want to install it, but that seems harder than I thought or I am just going crazy. When I click the download it takes me to the archive manager. I can see a lot files but now matter what I click I get no where. So if someone is up on this stuff kindly explain what I need to do. I know it is not as dumbed down as windows 7 is so....where you just click install and yes and next and done.

You don't say which version of Ubuntu you're using. I'm on 10.04, and to get past firefox 3.x, I had to add a special repository for firefox. I use the stable one, but I know you can do the beta channel too.

Look here. Even though it mentions Firefox 5, the instructions will put you on the beta stream, which will get you the most current beta. It will also help keep you up to date with the most current beta.

It is version 11.x I will go through those instructions when I have more time...Thanks.

Sometimes they get a lil "moody" when you try to update a program outside of using the update manager. I use Ubuntu on my netbook because its much leaner than windows and runs way better on this lil netbook, and seeing as I use it just to surf it is a perfect combo. But if ya check that out and still have problems throw up another post n Ill keep an eye on this one... Happy penguin time lol

The Update Manager is doing some stuff right now, so we will see what happens. I also noticed that I have no spell checker with FF on Ubuntu is this normal?

Last edited:
Hmm the option is checked, to check my spelling as I type but it is not working..:D

No it is still supposedly updating.....man do I have more than a learning curve than I thought, this for sure is not like Redhat, but so far I like it better once I find my way around.

No it is still supposedly updating.....man do I have more than a learning curve than I thought, this for sure is not like Redhat, but so far I like it better once I find my way around.

Yea, I have been using it for a while now and I like it. I am running a beta version Ubuntu right now. Using the update manager makes things alot simpler and it does keep up with all your software and drivers quite well. My wife is not savvy and she picked up on using it quite quickly actually. I don't use it on my desktop just for the fact theres too many windows only programs we use on it, but it was a damn good move putting it on this lil netbook with all the advantages on a slow low ram system like this.

Well back on win 7 now, will report when it gets done with its updates.

I run Kubuntu 11.04 which is Ubuntu with KDE desktop.Hadn't had it on in months and last week there were 184 updates.I kept getting an error with the FF update.I unchecked the ff update in the download package and there were a couple of others that were giving errors as well so unchecked them too.Got all other packages to update and then FF and the others that had errors updated after.So apparently there is a package that has to update prior to FF before it can update.If that makes any sense :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)