Ubuntu

1. If your doing showing off stuff in geo sketch pad the have a new java app for makeing web pages with an embeded java version for showing off files here Gallery - The Geometer's Sketchpad Resource Center

2. Geo sketch pad runs very well in Wine on linux ( so you can use your windows copy on linux )

3. while a little old now KSEG is a great tool for linux to that mimics almost all of sketchpads function ( note last time i used sketch pad was probably 5 years ago.

KSEG

Stonecold has left the building folks.

Under Applications > Ubuntu Software Center do a search for Wine. It is a Windows compatibility layer that allows you to use some windows applications in Ubuntu. Your applications just might work with it. You can always uninstall it if they don't.

Linux Mint

Mint is pretty slick. It has several features Ubuntu doesn't What's new in Linux Mint 8 Helena - Linux Mint I would wait for the new release, based on Ubuntu 10.04, if I were you, just to get the latest and greatest. It should be out in the next few weeks. Something to be aware of is that the main version of Mint comes with all the multimedia codecs pre-installed which may not be legal. I'm no expert so use your own judgement. The universal edition is codec free but they can be easily downloaded once Mint is installed.

Yes and no. It isn't one of Canonical's official versions of Ubuntu like Kubuntu, Xubuntu, or Edubuntu. The Linux Mint developers use Ubuntu as the base system and add their own modifications, such as a revamped version of the Gnome desktop, built-in parental control features, an update manager that uses a ratings system to show the importance of a given update, etc. Ubuntu, in turn, is based on Debian. Most Linux distros are just modified versions of another distro, to one extent or another. Debian, Slackware, and Fedora are the basis for most all popular distros, Arch being a notable exception.

Yes and no. It isn't one of Canonical's official versions of Ubuntu like Kubuntu, Xubuntu, or Edubuntu. The Linux Mint developers use Ubuntu as the base system and add their own modifications, such as a revamped version of the Gnome desktop, built-in parental control features, an update manager that uses a ratings system to show the importance of a given update, etc. Ubuntu, in turn, is based on Debian. Most Linux distros are just modified versions of another distro, to one extent or another. Debian, Slackware, and Fedora are the basis for most all popular distros, Arch being a notable exception.

And that's the beauty of Linux...it gives you choices. Granted, it takes a little bit of work to figure out which OS is the best for you (even if it is Windows).

did you dod a kernel update that will cause issue with linked modules ( aka drivers ) un some of the more odd ball things it just a matter of uninstalling and reintallign the driver. this is often common place with some wifi drivers and nvidia gpu driver since both are tied in heavly to the kernel version.

Am currently playing around with Mint 9 RC. I like the layout of the UI a little better than Ubuntu. Probably because it has more of a Windows appearance

wireless networking and such

The wireless issue could be a known bug that will be fixed in Mint's final release version. If you want to fool with it in the meantime, I have often found wicd to more stable than gnome network manager in Ubuntu. Wicd makes it really easy to set up a static ip, too. You might give it shot.

Debian Testing

This is slightly off-topic but you might have fun trying Debian Testing Debian -- Debian-Installer I went with the net install option, deselected the desktop environment during install, and added xorg, gdm, xfce4, and xfce4-goodies after the install. This gives you a bare bones desktop that you can customize to your heart's content plus it works well on low-spec systems and you can install the latest software. Don't be put off by the "testing" label. It seems quite stable, so far.

Last edited:
Just installed the latest release of Mint. Have to wait until I get home to downloaded the needed drivers for my computer, but so far so good (minus the things I cannot do because drivers are missing).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)