Google Developer Conference, May 19-20: What to expect?

IR emitters are very 1990.
Actually, if there is one thing I'm missing from the old Palm PDA days, it's the IR part...:)
The app making it a universal remote was just perfect.

Certainly beats a $70 add-on to a smartphone
Re universal remote dongle for iPhone now available -- Engadget

My understanding is, the "box" (hardware block) will combine two sources - TV and web information, graphical and textual - overlayed.

Google will provide the backend engine and frontend UI (and API later), Intel - the horse power (Atom),
cable/sat companies - the live feed (archives, maybe), Logitech - the human interface (Harmony tech).

First application that comes to mind - live translation of foreign channels.
Delay the feed by a few seconds and overlay the translated soundtrack...

Diogen.

Last edited:
I've been thinking about this Google TV... blending the internet on your TV and where have I seen this before? Then it hit me. WebTV! Yes, other than this is a modernized version with state of the art bandwidth capability plus what is to be open source, it seems it is very similar to webTV. I bought one of these for my parents to get used to the internet some 8 or 10 years ago. The display was on their old 1975 vintage 25"color TV set and it worked good enough with dialup. The system was made by Sony, but I believe Phillips also made a version.

Today, I have a PS3 that does a fair job of web surfing although it lacks many of the capabilities of a real computer. It works best with a PS3 keyboard and mouse pad.

I expect this to be very similar and I hope they add some new capability, raising the bar for this type of use.

Today, I have two ways to surf the internet in my home theater, PS3 and ipad with cable to FP screen. I know the best is a HT PC but hopefully some day these guys will figure out a way to match that. Maybe this GoogleTV is that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts