5 HD sources with 2 HDMI and 3 Component Inputs

The Big Wood

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 21, 2003
NE Georgia
I'm looking at getting a new receiver that can handle the multiple HD sources I now have. I have two devices with HDMI, and at least two more with Component only.

My question is, can a receiver (for this example, I am looking at the Onkyo TX-SR674) that has 2 HDMI labelled as IN1 and IN2 be used for the 2 HDMI sources, and still be able to hook up different Component sources to the IN1 and IN2 Components locations?

In other words, with this unit there are 2 HDMI and 3 Component inputs...can you get up to 5 HD sources or limited to 3 HD sources?

I think the answer to this is only 3 HD sources are supported, but I just wanted to verify...

Thanks for your help.
Anthony

Yes. Im looking at that receiver as well. It upconverts everything to HDMI, so you only have one cable going to your TV or projector, no matter what the source.

has 2 HDMI labelled as IN1 and IN2 be used for the 2 HDMI sources, and still be able to hook up different Component sources to the IN1 and IN2 Components locations? In other words, with this unit there are 2 HDMI and 3 Component inputs...can you get up to 5 HD sources or limited to 3 HD sources?

I think the answer to this is only 3 HD sources are supported, but I just wanted to verify...

Thanks for your help.
Anthony

It is highly likely that it is a total of three ONLY, and you can choose to use either HDMI or Cmpt on 1 and 2. NOT all separate for a total of 5. Do you have a pic of the rear jack panel? I can tell from that.

That's what I was thinking...only 3 total HD inputs allowed. Picture of the rear is attached.

Attachments

• TX-SR674B_rear.jpg
    TX-SR674B_rear.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 382
I have this exact receiver and on Onkyo, the DVD input is treated seperately if you use HDMI. So you could have 1 DVD HDMI input and 1 more HDMI and 2 component or 1 DVD HDMI and 3 component.

I have my DVD on HDMI In1, my QAM cable box on Component 1 , Xbox 360 on comp 2, vip211 on comp3.

I just purchased a new Onkyo TX-SR 805 with HDMI 1.3 and wow is this AV receiver awesome. It does everything I want, need and could possible need in the future. With the price point well below what others are selling theirs for makes it an exceptional bargain. Check it out. I purchased it from OneCall on line. The specs are a plus and in the real world it performs at least as good as if not better than any of the others even the ones costing much more. 130 clean watts per channel and more inputs/outputs than you can shake a stick at. What's more, it up-converts all video signals to either HDMI or Component, whichever you decide to use. Add to that a surround sound microphone for setting the proper surround levels and bi amping if you so desire and you have a Rolls Royce for the price of a Toyota.

I believe you can do this with the Marantz SR7001 or the SR8001. They have 4 HDMI and 4 component inputs.
EDIT: I just checked the menu on my SR7001 and it does allow 5 sources.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts