5 more slots for VOOM sats

PBHDinSD

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 9, 2004
San Diego
(I don't know if this is old news or not)

I just got off the phone with a buddy from college that actually flys the VOOM birds. He said that VOOM just bought 5 slots for satellites. He said VOOM has the biggest TV sat out there (he called it monster) and they are pretty much at capacity for HD in the current Bird. According to him Direct TV current birds only have enough for around 12 HD channels.

He is going to check out this forum. I will grill him later for more info.

I asked him if he knew when VOOM is adding new channels. He said they had no control of uploading the channels, they only fly them.

Seawaves said:
DTV is putting up birds (2-3) that will hold 500 HD channels.
Not really, he was talking about current and future birds.

Other info I got out of him.

He deals with VPs at cable-vision. They know nothing about satellites. They are most concerned about providing HD programming. He says that they (Lockheed Martin) are trying to pull the reins back on them because the Sat is maxed out with HD. I queried him on whether he knew about the codecs (MPEG-4,WMV9). He didn't seem to know about the codecs, but was interested and asked me for this web site address.

Also, they were given one of the original VOOM systems on a non HDTV and it was experiencing drop outs, pixelization, and the channels were all screwed up (ESPN showing CCN etc...). He complained to the cable-vision VPs about the problems. They sent them 3 new receivers.

I told him it sounds like a bad install and current receiver software is buggy.

He asked me how was my system operating. I experienced the same issue with the channel being mixed up due to the power input for the stealth amp was place in the wrong place (my fault, but never was installed, Install incs fault) and V2.10 has a bug that does that, but over all I was satisfied.

Seawaves said:
DTV is putting up birds (2-3) that will hold 500 HD channels.
500 HD ch's ...thats a ton...but you wont benifit from those ch's because DTV's main concern is the local HD ch's. They need space for 500 hd ch's when their aim is to provide HD locals for as many areas as possible.

vinnyv07 said:
500 HD ch's ...thats a ton...but you wont benifit from those ch's because DTV's main concern is the local HD ch's. They need space for 500 hd ch's when their aim is to provide HD locals for as many areas as possible.

You guys are serious. I thought that was a joke. How big are these sats going to be? Is there a weblink where I can educate myself on this.

vinnyv07 said:

But Vin, let's say they actually put up 3- 500 channel birds, there can't be that many locals for the whole US. Whatever it is, DTV HAS to have a HD strategy. It's much later than Voom but it will come.

Most SD will at some point be HD, so this may be DTV's solution.

Seawaves said:
But Vin, let's say they actually put up 3- 500 channel birds, there can't be that many locals for the whole US. Whatever it is, DTV HAS to have a HD strategy. It's much later than Voom but it will come.

Most SD will at some point be HD, so this may be DTV's solution.
You are right Seawaves. DTV decided it was time to get into the HD mix. When they do get things going...they will first add HD locals(which they are doing as we speak) and then the will expand to the smaller markets with their local ch's. There is no doubt in my mind that DTV has an HD strategy. The question is, will VOOM even be around in 2 or 3 years when DTV HD really gets rolling?
For myself, Im glad I have dtv. I have a tv with a built in HD DTV receiver and I just took advantage of the free six mth HD pack. Although there isnt many ch's in the HD pack I know they will add more. Im very glad DTV is adding NBCHD for the NEw York area...because its one of the ch's I am missing OTA. Im also not actually believing that DTV has plans for 500 HD ch's...but say each state gets 6 local ch's. Thats a big chunk of bandwidth. But what Im saying is that if DTV's main objective is to provide locals in HD then they will do just that. They have the backing and the $$ to do anything they want. 500 HD ch's...not now but maybe in 5 years or so.​

Well, that's all nice to hear about DTV. Maybe in 1.5 to 2 years, I can get an HDTivo from DTV, with LOTS of HD channels at a great price. By then, the HDTive should be readily available and not buggy at all. Can't wait!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts