FaxUpdate April 6, 2005: Chuck Dolan Eyes More Time for VOOM

riffjim4069

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 7, 2004
SatelliteGuystonfieldville, U.S.A.
SatBizNews has once again been kind enough to provide VOOM Forum members with their latest edition of FaxUpdate, dated 6 April 2005. As aways, please obey all copyrights.

Attachments

• 4-06-05FaxUPDATE By E-Mail.pdf
    160.9 KB · Views: 1,013
Thanks for the post. Its getting to the point that us mere mortals can not understand the games these billionaires play. Something must be going on behind the scenes but I guess I will wait until the board meeting on the 18th.

I bet things become much clearer that week

Interesting part about Voom not being able to enter into new contracts. Maybe all this is why WGN is not on yet as well as others?

Thanks...

Hey riffjim4069, thanks for the update. :)
Glad to see you did not let all the name-calling
argue.gif
in your Poll thread discourage you.

vurbano said:
Interesting part about Voom not being able to enter into new contracts. Maybe all this is why WGN is not on yet as well as others?

Same thing I thought when I read it. This could be the BIGGEST sign that $$$ is running out. So far the new programming has not stopped but if it does I do not know how V* expects anyone to stay and pay monthly premiums.

Sean Mota said:
Same thing I thought when I read it. This could be the BIGGEST sign that $$$ is running out. So far the new programming has not stopped but if it does I do not know how V* expects anyone to stay and pay monthly premiums.

I think that directive is just from Cablevision though to avoid any further liabilities if Voom folds. Once or if Voom is owned by Dolan then there will be a different budget.

vurbano said:
I think that directive is just from Cablevision though to avoid any further liabilities if Voom folds. Once or if Voom is owned by Dolan then there will be a different budget.

Understood. However, new programming you budget ahead of time and I just hope that there will be no shortest of programming in the coming months if this situation persist beyond 4/31.

I honestly have no idea what is going on at Voom. The agreement to keep Voom operating in March expired and not a word from Voom. Obviously, Voom is still in operation which is a positive thing - but it is getting frustrating to not know what is going on. Is there really a deal between Voom and Echostar? If so, what is the nature of that deal?

Is it possible that the agreement to continue operating Voom during March expired and the board of directors at Cablevision chose to ignore it right now due to all the other things Cablevision is doing right now?

I for one would pay a bribe to any employee of Voom/Cablevision/Echostar who can leak some inside info to us. Anyone else want to contribute???

Sean Mota said:
Understood. However, new programming you budget ahead of time and I just hope that there will be no shortest of programming in the coming months if this situation persist beyond 4/31.

Thats where we rely on the super sleuth Sean Mota to Find out when the channel additions stop until Dolan buys this thing ;)

While channel additions are affected also I think Sean was concerned over future programming issues if they can't make a financial committment

dlm10541 said:
While channel additions are affected also I think Sean was concerned over future programming issues if they can't make a financial committment

I think that will depend on what Dolan can budget. No one knows yet?

I am very surprised that neither Cable nor E* or D* sees a competitive advantage in getting the 21 VOOM Channels or a shorter version of them (should Voom be not able to survive as a DBS provider). Here you have a good package of channels with very high production in HD and yet not able to market.

If VOOM does go down, it will be kind of "stupidity" for Cablevision to throw away the VOOM suite of channels. The least that they can do is to provide them in their own system and remain a competitive advantage in their regional territory versus Satellite. There's no doubt in my mind that if these channels are offered on either E* or D* in a shorter more combine version, they will be welcome with open arms as these channels offer an alternative, in HD nonetheless.

It was nice for SATBIZ to allow this to be accessed however their predictions always seems to run a little short when it comes to VOOM. If you rememer, last week Dolan was supposed to have left Denver empty and depressed and ready to shut down VOOM that very night according to SATBIZ. Me thinks that is one of the worst Rumor rags in the business.

Sean...the rumor you reported on earlier this week about a possible successful agreement with E* and Dolan, do you continue to still hear that?

I think part of the problem is Cablevision has alienated many competitors --cable or satellitte with their prior dealings. Look at the Adelphia bid they may have good reasons but I doubt any of the others involved are exactly pleased and looking forward to a positive relationship.

Thats why I think Vooms future lies with being independent of Cablevision

I did not post earlier but SatBiz said that Cablevision said not to enter into contracts back on Monday.

I am glad they are helping us out and giving us Info but do't burn our bridges by asking for too much.

Sean Mota said:

I guarantee Voom will not be broadcasting on 4/31. ;)

Sean Mota said:
I am very surprised that neither Cable nor E* or D* sees a competitive advantage in getting the 21 VOOM Channels or a shorter version of them (should Voom be not able to survive as a DBS provider). Here you have a good package of channels with very high production in HD and yet not able to market.

It comes down to money, if they (D*, C* and E*) wanted to add more HD, they could of ( if they have the bandwidth of course ), there are a few channels out there that certain providers don't have (TNT-HD for D*, Universal-HD for E*) but remember each one of these channels charge per sub ( I read that, for example, that Universal-HD is $0.40 per sub, the two HD-Nets are $1.10 for both per sub, etc ) they really don't want to pay right now ( D* has a contract renewal coming up with ESPN and that will get ugly because D* has already said no way to a big increase in per sub costs) if say E* has 500,000 HD subs, adds ten HD channels at say .50 cents per sub, that becomes $5.00 per sub, and I don't see E* (or anyone else) giving up that kind of money, then our costs go up for more programing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts