FaxUpdate April 1, 2005: VOOM Shutdown Could Be Announced As Early As Today

Status
Not open for further replies.
TYORK said:
well i can say here in indy that is it about close to 100 installs to maybe 5 installs a month and that is only have of the state.

So given that Indiana has about 2% of US population ( http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/18000.html ), half the state is about 1% of population.

If one take's tyork's numbers of a net 95 installs a month then one could (probably wrongly) extrapolate to 9,500 installs a month nationally. Even if this is off by a large margin this would at least appear to be a significant uptick in rate of installs. (There are obviously many reasons how this mangling of data is quite possibly far off the mark -- for starters, Indy may not be the best representation of national trends in HDTV service -- but still interesting to consider.)

CDH.

David Dietzel said:
Racoon Boy:

I stated that by stacking the board, an executive can get much of what he wants -- ...
But it this post-ENRON timeframe, those new board members are much less likely to be compliant to the Chairman than before, because that carries some personal risk to them.

Back home in Kalifornia, an Installs technician told me they were running crazy trying to keep up with the huge jump in VOOM installs since about mid-February.

And, on a related note, since I've been here in Tucson for the past week on business, I've meet three people who recently had VOOM installed and absolutely love the service. They were, interestingly, unaware of the VOOM soap opera. I advised them to join this forum. All three of them cancelled Dish, by the way, to move to VOOM.

And, while I was visiting the Circuit City across the street from the hotel, all the HDTVs on display were showing the VOOM infomercial. Sweet. If VOOM can't penetrate the Dish or Direct barriers at retailers, they can cleverly be sure to run nice long and frequent commercials on hi-def channels that run at the retailers. Brilliant.

As soon as I get back home this coming Friday, I'm taking Charles up on his offer of two free months of Va Va VOOM.

justalurker said:
Ergen doesn't like upconvert HD channels unless there is enough compelling real HD to make that channel worth carrying (TNT makes it because of sports coverage). Ergen isn't going to spend 4 SD channels worth of space on non-HD "HD" channels. Adding Cinemax, Starz and TMC would cost E* 12 SD channels (a full transponder) or 9 PPV/Movie channels (PPVs get a little more space than normal SD).

JL

justalurker, I did not know that Cinemax HD, StarzHD & TMCHD were upconverts. I really thought that they were HD channels. Are you sure because I watch them and they are HD! Unlike TNT that 90% of their programming is upconverts. There's a very big distinction between what is "upconvert" and what is "HD". Even showtime and HBO are not 24/7 HD as they both have "upconvert" material but are considered "HD" channels because they do have "HD" presentations like Cinemax, Starz, or TMC and Even UHD.

vurbano said:
I think Racoon Boy hurts Voom a lot too.
Personally, I don't know why he doesn't spend his free time in the E* Forum and his work time performing duties for his employer, Charlie Ergen. What sane individual would spend countless hours in the VOOM Forum when: a) they don't subscribe to VOOM service and b) they have no intent of ever subscribing to the VOOM service. :confused: What help, assistance and insight can this individual---and others like him---hope to offer subscribers or potential subscribers? :confused: Nothing! They not only lunk...they can't keep their pie-holes shut! Under the circumstances, I supposed I should take a more popely point of view, but I am no saint...just as JL is no lurker; he has a well-defined and purposeful agenda. Hint: Before making comments as though you are an expert on all matters VOOM (you are not!), perhaps you should subscribe to the VOOM service or at least see it in action.

If people wish to read about E*, they can simply visit the E* Forum. Likewise, if they wish to read about D*, they can simply visit the D* Forum or their propaganda site known as the AVSForum.

Anyway, I can't wait to once again discuss operational matters such as the HD DVR, Bigger Dish, MPEG-4, Whole Home Networking, Thin-Clients, SD Clients, OTA Issues, etc. :)

My thread reading strategy: As soon as I see that a post is about a member of the forum and not about Voom, I skip to the next post.

Nobody is a bigger fan of Voom than I am. But I put the chances of Voom's survival at under 50%. The problems look too huge. I hope I get surprised with good news and Chuck Dolan pulls a rabbit out of a hat. Come to think of it, if Voom survives, that would make a great HD Sideshow.

1080iBeVuMin said:
My thread reading strategy: As soon as I see that a post is about a member of the forum and not about Voom, I skip to the next post.
Good plan. This is the Voom forum, and while conversations about one satellite carrier often include another carrier when people turn to discussing posters it isn't worth reading. BTW: I'll be suprised if we don't hear more official word about Voom's survival or lack therof by the end of the week.

Sean Mota said:
justalurker, I did not know that Cinemax HD, StarzHD & TMCHD were upconverts.
I must have misread the Voom customer complaints about the number of upconverts (especially on Starz). But there is more to the issue than just upconverting.
Sean Mota said:
Even showtime and HBO are not 24/7 HD as they both have "upconvert" material but are considered "HD" channels because they do have "HD" presentations like Cinemax, Starz, or TMC and Even UHD.
Is Cinemax-HD so much different in content from HBO-HD that both deserve space? Is TMC-HD so much different from Showtime-HD that both deserve space? What unique programming is missed by not having the second HD channel? Perhaps on a system that puts HD before SD like Voom one can give space to redundant feeds, but E* has to deal with 11 million SD customers as well as the few HD customers they could gain by adding more channels.

When the satellite is full one must make hard decisions. We could all pick 12 SD channels we'd dump to get three new HD ... but could we get 11 million people to agree on the same 12 (especially when only a few of the 11 million would see the new channels)? And at this point (as discussed in the appropriate E* forum) C Ergen is attempting NOT to grow his HD subscriber base, prefering to hold off until the better receivers are available to his customers. And he's confident that when E* does kick in to high gear again that E* will return to its position as the leader. C Ergen is planning for the long haul while C Dolan is hoping to be in business at the end of the month, every month.

JL

justalurker said:
I must have misread the Voom customer complaints about the number of upconverts (especially on Starz). But there is more to the issue than just upconverting.Is Cinemax-HD so much different in content from HBO-HD that both deserve space? Is TMC-HD so much different from Showtime-HD that both deserve space? What unique programming is missed by not having the second HD channel? Perhaps on a system that puts HD before SD like Voom one can give space to redundant feeds, but E* has to deal with 11 million SD customers as well as the few HD customers they could gain by adding more channels.

When the satellite is full one must make hard decisions. We could all pick 12 SD channels we'd dump to get three new HD ... but could we get 11 million people to agree on the same 12 (especially when only a few of the 11 million would see the new channels)? And at this point (as discussed in the appropriate E* forum) C Ergen is attempting NOT to grow his HD subscriber base, prefering to hold off until the better receivers are available to his customers. And he's confident that when E* does kick in to high gear again that E* will return to its position as the leader. C Ergen is planning for the long haul while C Dolan is hoping to be in business at the end of the month, every month.

JL

I for one enjoy having the choice of West and East feeds for HBO, MAX, SHO, STARZ and TMC even though they are not 24/7 HD feeds... I still don't see Universal HD on the E* lineup, even though they are 100% HD 24 hrs. a day! I am glad that you enjoy having the E* service, but we enjoy our V* service as well. Lets see.... here it is April 4th and Voom.com is still taking orders and I am still enjoying my VaVa service, which I have free now for the next 2 months! I have already decided to stay a VaVa even after the 2 months are over as well. As far as V* being able to survive... time will tell, but I do have faith in C. Dolan that he will come up with a viable solution to keep the service going..

justalurker said:
Is Cinemax-HD so much different in content from HBO-HD that both deserve space? Is TMC-HD so much different from Showtime-HD that both deserve space? What unique programming is missed by not having the second HD channel?

Now you are just being lazy. I'm not going to do your legwork for you but I suggest you explore the TV listings for these channels yourself! Here are a couple of clues for you:

Sopranos
The "L" Word
Six Feet Under

Is Cinemax-HD so much different in content from HBO-HD that both deserve space? Is TMC-HD so much different from Showtime-HD that both deserve space? What unique programming is missed by not having the second HD channel? Perhaps on a system that puts HD before SD like Voom one can give space to redundant feeds, but E* has to deal with 11 million SD customers as well as the few HD customers they could gain by adding more channels.

I think Ergen could do absolutely anything and you'd justify it, based on what you just said. For how long has Ergen been promising more HD content and not made good on his word? It's not that he's waiting on better equipment or more content to become available, it's money pure and simple. He'll go with whatever he thinks brings in the most profit. Nothing wrong with that, but to claim "we'll be the HD leader" is an utter lie if that's the way he goes about things. Voom has taken the opposite approach, obviously, which is great for the HD consumer.

Really, the best way for Dish customers to eventually get a decent HD selection would be for Voom to be successful and for D* to quickly add HD content so that competition and loss of customers would force Ergen to add more content, because based on his past actions that's the only way it's gonna happen.

Dish is already behind Voom, D* (especially when you count their sports coverage like Sunday Ticket in HD) and most cable companies in content. Having the HD leader (Voom) fold would just help to stagnate the growth of HD even more. I hope you don't think you're going to get more HD channels if Ergen acquires Rainbow 1.

justalurker said:
Good planI must have misread the Voom customer complaints about the number of upconverts (especially on Starz). But there is more to the issue than just upconverting.Is Cinemax-HD so much different in content from HBO-HD that both deserve space? Is TMC-HD so much different from Showtime-HD that both deserve space? What unique programming is missed by not having the second HD channel? Perhaps on a system that puts HD before SD like Voom one can give space to redundant feeds, but E* has to deal with 11 million SD customers as well as the few HD customers they could gain by adding more channels."[/i]

Yes, I believe so as I have them. Starz has been disappointing in some cases such as the recent Kill BIll being upconvert but Starz,does offer many exclusives that HBO, nor Showtime have. One might think that Cinemax HD is just another HBO but what matters to me is at any given day, I have more variety to watch. These others offer that. If one only needs HBO and Showtime, a single channel each, then E* will suffice. But while a channel like Cinemax offers some movuies that never have appeared on HBO, theu also offer HBO repeats spaced out several months from HBO, so, I favor having all these choices and am willing to pay for it.

"When the satellite is full one must make hard decisions. We could all pick 12 SD channels we'd dump to get three new HD ... but could we get 11 million people to agree on the same 12 (especially when only a few of the 11 million would see the new channels)? And at this point (as discussed in the appropriate E* forum) C Ergen is attempting NOT to grow his HD subscriber base, prefering to hold off until the better receivers are available to his customers. And he's confident that when E* does kick in to high gear again that E* will return to its position as the leader. C Ergen is planning for the long haul while C Dolan is hoping to be in business at the end of the month, every month.

JL

If it were just about quantity, I would agree that we should want 12 new channels catering to Portugese and Pakanistani speaking natives but, sorry, I'm really only interested in watching HDTV channels plus the 3 news networks in SD. I used to watch TECH TV as a favorite SD channel too but I've since lost interest since it has become a game cheater's channel. To me, it's all about programming, HDTV programming, variety and quality.
I have no interest in watching movies on fuzzy SDTV in 4:3 AR. All my TV's in the home are HDTV now, all 2 of them. :)

I just love reading criticism of Voom's channels from someone thats never watched them and doesnt have a clue WTF he's talking about

I just love reading criticism of Voom's channels from someone (Lurker) thats never watched them and doesnt have a clue about WTF he's talking about. :rolleyes:

vurbano said:
I just love reading criticism of Voom's channels from someone (Lurker) thats never watched them and doesnt have a clue about WTF he's talking about. :rolleyes:

Maybe C. Ergan gave him the Super Dish for free as long as he posted negative V* articles on the forums as an attempt to lure Voomers over to E*? Well if thats true.... its not working!! at least not for for me! If it wasn't for V*, I would just be using an OTA antenna, and MAYBE have basic cable for Discovery Networks, etc.. No other service provider, Cable or Sat., even comes close to V* for HD content, and at the rate the others are going, they never will!!

justalurker said:
Good plan. This is the Voom forum, and while conversations about one satellite carrier often include another carrier when people turn to discussing posters it isn't worth reading. BTW: I'll be suprised if we don't hear more official word about Voom's survival or lack therof by the end of the week.

I must have misread the Voom customer complaints about the number of upconverts (especially on Starz). But there is more to the issue than just upconverting.Is Cinemax-HD so much different in content from HBO-HD that both deserve space? Is TMC-HD so much different from Showtime-HD that both deserve space? What unique programming is missed by not having the second HD channel? Perhaps on a system that puts HD before SD like Voom one can give space to redundant feeds, but E* has to deal with 11 million SD customers as well as the few HD customers they could gain by adding more channels.

JL

ROFLMAO!

Justalurker: you are the most clueless **** ever appeared on this forum. :D

Your utter lack of basic knowledge is sooooo yelling that it becomes simply funny.

How could be somebody soooo **** that he doesn't even know the difference between HBO and Cinemax but blatantly posts his totally **** but loud **** comments on the subject? :D:yes

mod edit

vurbano said:

YEah, that's the funniest part: he's not simply ***** but a *****. Obviously a ******* because he never had the service he's trying to comment.

This is probably the classic case of a totally useless *****, solely to provoke flamebait.

mod edit

Hey give JL a break. All evidence points to him being a 4 year old genius or a **** 88 year old :p

Suggested avatar for JL

301_t.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)