VOOM Might be gone as early late this week

Status
Not open for further replies.
stop speculating

If you ask voom or anyone that works for them directly or indirectly it's still business as usual.

I understand that you are all worried about your service going dark before the superbowl.

But you might want to go back in time and read the SEC Filing, it states that "Rainbow DBS’ VOOM programming service will continue to provide service to its current customers during a transition period" and I have to believe that this more than just a loss of license for Voom.

If they go dark without the "transition period" even starting I have to believe that CVC and Voom will get FINED OUT THE YING YANG and there are probably other things that could happen as well. Remember that it's not just the FCC looking into this thing. There is the FTC and probably other organizations that are keeping tabs on this situation. One of the things that puzzles my mind is why cablevision didn't try to push Voom on their cable customers, espically to those that had limited to basic cable.

Anyway off topic, According to board where people are writing their letters to the FCC a members says that there is no place to send the letters cause there is no docket proceeding, (i think that this is a giant folder). This whole thing started on January 20th and so far the FCC hasn't created a docket yet. Not mysterious but it just goes to show us that they are slow and it maybe another month or 3 before even that gets created. Once that gets created I do believe that that is probably the most speculative time to start wondering, questioning or what have you, but until then lets continue to try and get our friends signed up, and enjoy watching tv cause It may or not last forever but if it doesn't at least it was good while it lasted.

To those of you out there: like rickster and bruce. I have no idea what television service provider you have currently and you can sit there and tell us everyday until you die but the way you talk no one's ever going to believe you. All you ever do speak harsly and hurtful to others in this forum and it's getting on my nerves. I don't post very often unles I need to. I come to Satellite Guys because I have a love of satellite technology and I enjoy reading all of the latest news/rumors and the ideas and imputs from the members. If you don't care that voom's around next week or gone tomorrow then SHUT UP because no one whats to hear what you've got to say.

Lets all calm down and promote the sh*t out of voom til it's gone. I mean after all it's only a $1.00. This may the end but let's go down in a blaze of glory shall we!?

Danielle

The FTC should be the ones involved, and not allowing Dish/DirecTv to monopolize the DBS market.

danielle_s said:
To those of you out there: like rickster and bruce. I have no idea what television service provider you have currently and you can sit there and tell us everyday until you die but the way you talk no one's ever going to believe you. All you ever do speak harsly and hurtful to others in this forum and it's getting on my nerves. I don't post very often unles I need to. I come to Satellite Guys because I have a love of satellite technology and I enjoy reading all of the latest news/rumors and the ideas and imputs from the members. If you don't care that voom's around next week or gone tomorrow then SHUT UP because no one whats to hear what you've got to say.

Danielle

I like bruce and rickster. Maybe you don't like their style but that's just your opinion. Please don't try to speak for the masses.

I didn't think personal attacks are allowed here.

Mod close this thread

Well, it's Friday and VOOM is still up and running. As I expected, the satbiznews column was just BS. They already removed it from their website. I suggest one of the Moderators close this thread.

Dvlos said:
The FTC should be the ones involved, and not allowing Dish/DirecTv to monopolize the DBS market.

FTC can not force a company to stay in business and bleed money until they go into bankruptcy. I suspect that the only hope on the FCC/FTC front (and a slim one at that) is that they would insist on VOOM being sold as a complete entity in order to retain the allocated bandwidth. Even then, VOOM could decide to simply shut down if they can not find a buyer for the whle package.

I want VOOM to survive but wishing will not make it so.

Is it the "end of the week yet?" Cablevison has and still has deep pockets. VOOM lost cablevision $75M in the 3rd quarter. DirectTV lost 283M in the 4th quarter. Is DIRECT going under? they haven't made money yet either. Rupert has big pockets too. Now I ask you,...How many new companies turn a profit in less than once year?

Walter L. said:
Well, it's Friday and VOOM is still up and running. As I expected, the satbiznews column was just BS. They already removed it from their website. I suggest one of the Moderators close this thread.

why should they close this thread....everythign is still specualtion right now, no one really knows what is going to happen, not even the people that work for Voom.

davis_mcgreaw said:
why should they close this thread
This thread is about a column that was posted at satbiznews about VOOM shutting down this week. The column was already removed from satbiznews. If/when other breaking news arise, another thread should be started.

davis_mcgreaw said:
no one really knows what is going to happen, not even the people that work for Voom.

Davis...I know you are a contact employee. Are you done or they still calling you in? What is management telling he employees to do? Hang in there or start looking?

Customer Service Chat

:confused: Strange that at this hour there are no customer service folks available. Could they all be at lunch?

Turning off the lights - doing so would decrease the value (of what ever is left) of VOOM immensely. To close it down before signing a contract of sale would seem to be unwise. Kinda like selling your car after the engine seizes.

The satbiznews column was not removed. It was posted yesterday and is still there under the 02/02/05 archieve.

Customer Service Chat

Made contact with a Tiffany P. on live chat who assured me that VOOM would remain in service until "the" sale was completed and that operations would be normal during that time. She said rumors of VOOM's demise are just that.

Hmm, seems we'll just have to wait it out.

Note: I've a contact in Central Texas who is having a tough time making money doing Dish & DTV installs. He says they aren't expanding as rapidly as they state - at least not in his 100 mile radius.

Rotorhead said:
The satbiznews column was not removed. It was posted yesterday and is still there under the 02/02/05 archieve.
Have you seen the archived article? Does that mean you are a subscriber and could post it for us? I didn't see an archive on that site, but would assume it would only be available to subscribers anyway.

But it is already early late this week, and I am still Vooming.... :)

Guess satbiznews is not that reliable......

Rotorhead said:
Made contact with a Tiffany P. on live chat who assured me that VOOM would remain in service until "the" sale was completed and that operations would be normal during that time. She said rumors of VOOM's demise are just that.

Hmm, seems we'll just have to wait it out.

Note: I've a contact in Central Texas who is having a tough time making money doing Dish & DTV installs. He says they aren't expanding as rapidly as they state - at least not in his 100 mile radius.

When I had my Voom installed the installer said that 5 out of 6 of the installs he has each day is a Voom system. So your cotact in Central Texas may be right.

rgaines said:
When I had my Voom installed the installer said that 5 out of 6 of the installs he has each day is a Voom system. So your cotact in Central Texas may be right.

I had a second STB added last night and he reflected the same thing. His Voom installs are more than E*. He tells me also that people are picking it up like crazy and the majority do not have HD TV's.

joverstr2 said:
I had a second STB added last night and he reflected the same thing. His Voom installs are more than E*. He tells me also that people are picking it up like crazy and the majority do not have HD TV's.
I wonder how many of them have them have any idea what's going on. Obvisously there are people here that are saying "what the heck" and getting installed for $1, but for the majority them probably have no idea what has happened, or what may soon follow. I feel sorry for them if the plug gets pulled.

I had a scare today - my sis re-located, and is living with us until she gets her own place. She does a lot of work at home during the day, so I told that I have no idea what's going on with Voom, and some day the screen could very well go blank. Well, today she was watching, and all the sudden the screen came up saying there was no signal. She happened to try one other channel, and it was the same. She told me this when I got home, and I stared at my remote, not wanting to try. I was sitting at the computer when she told me this, and immediately clicked my Sat Guys shortcut. The page did not open. Now I was REALLY nervous!

Well, I started changing channels, and found that only two channels had no signal, and both of those channels were OTA. I logged into a local HD forum, and saw several other posts about the two OTA channels not coming in. WHEW! :)

All is well - for now. As long as I can still get OTA to show off the the GF's friends that she invited over for the Super Bowl!

gutter said:
Davis...I know you are a contact employee. Are you done or they still calling you in? What is management telling he employees to do? Hang in there or start looking?

Im still in and out depending on the day....not really working for Voom but rather AMC and WE. But its all the same place. The management isnt saying anything really. There were 2 board meetings this week but no one knows anything about them. But for now its business as usual....

Thanks Davis for the update and satisfying my personal curiosity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)