5000 went dead, replacement on way, then starts working again.

ken

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
My 5000 went dead and I mean dead, no power of any kind. Talked to E* and they gave RMA for replacement under "Service Agreement" for just the cost of shipping then I decided to plug it in again and the stupid thing started to work again (we tried that with tec support and it did not work). Now, what to do. If I call and tell them they will probably have me send the replacement back and then the old one will go out again later. The receiver has been acting up for the past month with the power going off then restarting all by itself but this last time it went dead for a day. I am afraid that if I send the old one back and it works for them they will charge me full price for the replacement. What would you do?

I'd keep the new one, They will probably try it and see its working now that it must be something wrong with it. If they say anything just tell them it didnt work for you, which is not a lie

I wish I could do a poll now and see how many would keep it.

You seem to be nervous. If it makes you feel better, I think you should keep the new one, too. When you send the old one back, write a nice note explaining the month-long problems you've had, culminating with the 5000's death and resurrection.

The guilty feeling got to me and I called them to tell them that the unit started working again but was iffy at best and they said to just send it in the old receiver and keep the replacement. If I don't get charged anymore for it, this is the way E* should be working with the customer, I am pleasantly surprised.

I think Dish considers Legacy receivers to be "nuisances" to be eliminated whenever possible. The problem with a 5000 is it has an OTA analog tuner, and the only receivers with OTA tuners are all HD units. I wonder if you're getting an 811 or a 311?

My 522 went goofy lost tuner 2 intermittently, like off and on repeatedly while watching signal strength screen. Swapping tuner leads didnt matter, it was always tuner 2.....

RMA on its way, trying to watch recorded shows ir spontaneously rebooted itself, might have reloaded software? I got a phone call.... Its now working like a champ...

Trying to decide wether to send it back... or refuse the RMA if I am home.

yeah I had rebooted it about 20 times, it was also giving me the phone nag screen. that cleared up after its spontaneous reboot.

box was nagging me but would pass phone test

was this software trouble?

UPDATE: Got the replacement today and it is also a problem. Would not take a software update for about an hour, has a loose piece rolling around inside and runs slower than a snail. What to do ? I will try it for a couple of days before making a decision.

At one time it (the 5000) was the E* poster child, but they had so mush crap inside they could not update it anymore. I am pissed that they can't even map local channels on it. When I found that I was having problems with the replacement 5000 I took an old HTS 3200 off the shelf and was just going to use that (it has a UHF remote) but E* tells me they won't support that model anymore and won't send an updated card for it (they won't activate the old card).

The 5000 was the top-of-the line model and had the same full-function front panel as the 2000, 3000 and 4000. It added an OTA tuner, CallerID, optional DD output module, and (now obsolete) optional HDTV modulator module.

The D-VHS receiver was based on the 5000 but included DD output (and was the first consumer device to record DD) and the HDTV modulator wasn't supported because it didn't have the bandwidth to record full HDTV.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)