508 to 512 DVR exchange DVR fee

So that's what they're giving you when you go EA and need a VIP receiver? Is the 512 MPEG4? I was hoping for a 612 or even a 211 as an exchange for my 508.
No the 512 is MPEG2 and is used to replace old Legacy equipment due to QPSK upgrade. This would not be done for Eastern Arc installs!

Yea they called and offered to upgrade my trusty 501 with a 512.First thing I asked was would there be a dvr fee.Of course the answer was yes so I politely declined the offer.

that doesnt make sense as the 510 is newer than the 508
510 had a bigger hard drive and a DVR fee
True, but since the 510 is QPSK only, it wouldn't work when Dish transitions western arc to 8PSK only. Now if Dish is replacing the 501/508 with 512s, then that's fine as well. Hell, they might as well give them VIP receivers as the 512s won't work when western arc goes MPEG-4 only.

It will be years before they get rid of mpeg2. There are way to many of those receivers here in calif alone..

I'm thinking it's safe to say that by the time western arc goes MPEG-4 only, that refurb 512 will be worn slam out.. lol

I'm thinking it's safe to say that by the time western arc goes MPEG-4 only, that refurb 512 will be worn slam out.. lol

Very truE.. I just did a Dish mover a few weeks ago.. The guy had two model 2600.. I tried to get him to upgrade but he wouldn't.. I even told him that they won't work pretty soon.. He said at that time he is going to "MAKE" Dish Network buy them back from.. I tried to explain to him that wasn't going to happen.. And that I could replace them for free to 311's and they where still his.. But he is dead set that Dish will buy these two receivers back from him...LOL

Odd how people have such expectations from Dish but not from other industries. Buy back my cell phone? TV?

the original DVR's (7100/7200, 501, 508, 721) had no DVR fee. The only 2 receivers still out there like that re the 508 & 501. If a customer has only a 508 or 501 as a DVR and no "newer" DVR's then they are grandfathered with no DVR fee.
Not often I get to correct the great Iceberg. The 7100/7200 at one time had a $10 "Personal TV" Fee. It was per-account, I had two of them and paid $10 for a while.

Not often I get to correct the great Iceberg. The 7100/7200 at one time had a $10 "Personal TV" Fee. It was per-account, I had two of them and paid $10 for a while.
Not to split hairs , but the fee was $9.99 a month. I had a dishplayer 7100 series back in August of 99, followed by a stream of replacement dishplayers , but that is another story. They eventually dropped the fee, but by then I had traded my failing dishplayer in for a 501 pvr.

And now we find out the 501 and 508 will begin incurring increrased aditional receiver fees and a DVR fee ... can DishOnline banner ads be far behind ??? :rant:

Perhaps the customer meant that Dish would pay for the replacements, which is true, Dish will most likely make the FREE OF CHARGE swap-outs when the time comes near the end and the last hold-outs not have bitten for DUI's. In that sense, his is going to be right.

However, the 311's are better in almost every way to those old, musty, crusty, FUGLY interface 2600's. Good heavens. In that sense he was a complete ninny to turn down a FREE upgrade today with all the benefits of a 311 compared to a 2600. I'm sure he thinks is , "WINNINGGG!!!" (as Charlie Sheen would say) by holding on to those 2600's that will surely increase in value over time (ironic humor) and have absolutely NO TAKERS on ebay (no irony there). Some people . . .

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)