54.0 Remote coming

This new remote has to be picked up to be used ? I mean, you have to pick it up and talk into it like a microphone or something ?

Assuming your are serious...yes. You have to hold the voice search button while you speak to it, which activates the Hopper/Joey to listen. Its not an always listening device like an Echo.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I can operate my old 40. remote in the dark. I know where every button is by feel, but the back light is neat. Also, in the guide, you can page up or page down. Dish should publish a list of all the Voice Remote functions. Her is a start from the Dish instructions, but it is not complete. You must press and hold the microphone button on the remote for these to work.
Voice Commands
Example Commands
Categories
  • Actor: "Liam Neeson"
  • Genre: "Movie"
  • Movies: "Blades of Glory"
  • Shows: "Big Bang Theory"
  • Sport: "English Premier League"
  • Sports Team: "Broncos"
  • Year: "80s comedies"
Natural Language
  • "Free movies starring Tom Cruise" (name of actor)
  • "On Demand TV Shows from HBO" (name of network)
  • "Show me movies I can watch now"
  • "What live sports are on right now"
  • (name of actor) "Johnny Depp movies from the 90's"
  • "You can't handle the truth!" (other popular movie quotes)
  • (name of actor) "Eddie Murphy movies rated PG-13 and below"
  • (name of actor) "Movies with George Clooney and John Turturro"
Navigation
  • "Tune to channel 140" (channel number)
  • "Tune to Animal Planet" (name of channel)
  • Launch VOD: "On Demand" (when watching a show)
  • Launch Home Screen: "Home" (when watching a show)
  • Launch Main Menu: "Main Menu" (when watching a show)
  • Launch DVR: "DVR" (when watching a show)
  • Open Guide: "Guide" (when watching a show)
  • Page Up (in guide)
  • Page down (in guide)
  • Go to Live TV: "Live TV" (from delayed play, DVR playback, Menus, etc)
  • Show Program Info: "Info" (when watching a show)
Configure Settings
  • Picture in Picture On/Off "Picture in Picture" or "PiP" or "Swap" or "Side-by-Side"
  • Set Recordings "Record this" (when watching a show)
  • Playback "Play this" (when in the DVR screen)
Other
  • "Skip Forward"
  • "Skip Back"
  • "Fast Forward/Rewind"
  • "Pause/Play/Stop"

Last edited:
Does anyone know if the new remote has soft buttons or the hard plastic ones like the 52.0? Also, how do you control the TV power on and other devices now that the power button is gone?

One more question - anyone seen any reviews online about the new remote yet? Thanks!

Does anyone know if the new remote has soft buttons or the hard plastic ones like the 52.0? Also, how do you control the TV power on and other devices now that the power button is gone?

One more question - anyone seen any reviews online about the new remote yet? Thanks!

It has a mixture of hard and soft buttons. They are kinda strategically placed to help you remember where some things are when you aren't looking right at it. Power-wise. The single power button automatically operates the sat receiver and the TV when you hit it. If you want to turn on an aux device, you hit the aux input button then power. Same if you want to just turn on/off the TV...hit the TV input button, then hit power.

Also, how do you control the TV power on and other devices now that the power button is gone?

When you're watching Dish on the TV and you hit the power on the TV goes off and Dish goes to standby countdown. You can individually control the TV or Aux by selecting the TV or Aux button on the upper left side of the remote you can then turn the TV or Aux On or Off.

The thing that has us confused is the 5 minute countdown on the Hopper when you power it off with the remote

It’s just in case say a pet steps on the remote and happens to press the power button. You won’t lose the ability to go back and watch what you missed due to that mishap. I mentioned it earlier in this thread I believe.
`
Just do not leave the remote on the floor, where the dog can walk on it. Most people use an end table.

Hey guys I want to get the new 54.0 voice remote....I have the Hopper 3 but it says the it requires the Hopper Carbon User Interface.What is the Hopper Carbon interface and how do I know if I have it? Thanks

Hey guys I want to get the new 54.0 voice remote....I have the Hopper 3 but it says the it requires the Hopper Carbon User Interface.What is the Hopper Carbon interface and how do I know if I have it? Thanks
It is the user interface your Hopper 3 has in it. The 54.0 remote will work and it is awesome.

Reactions: pattykay

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)